Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

• Still slow going (10 MPH) over the Lechmere Viaduct. They renewed the rail two years ago during the reconstruction and then replaced the rail back in June. The “breaking in” period should be over by now. What gives? This seems like a permanent condition / something structural where the 113 year old viaduct can’t handle LRVs going more than a snail’s pace. It’s very strange given the performance expectation from the recent overhaul.

This is incredibly frustrating, but it is also still quite confusing. It does not make sense for it to be structural, since they took the whole thing offline for a year to refurb the structure. The appearance was the thing being historically preserved; no one cares if the the performance aspect of the structure is original or not, such as if that meant they needed to install supplemental steel reinforcements underneath it (or whatever it would have taken), and they certainly had the time to do that if that was actually necessary. So I have a hard time believing this is structural. In various places I had read reasons being about both needing to obtain special ties on the old movable drawbridge span portion of this, as well as about catenary/ overhead power line issues. To date I do not believe the T has released transparent, comprehensive information about this and I really wish they would - this slow zone compromises the efficacy and overall promise of GLX, a major public project, so I feel the ridership is owed an update.

This is incredibly frustrating, but it is also still quite confusing. It does not make sense for it to be structural, since they took the whole thing offline for a year to refurb the structure. The appearance was the thing being historically preserved; no one cares if the the performance aspect of the structure is original or not, such as if that meant they needed to install supplemental steel reinforcements underneath it (or whatever it would have taken), and they certainly had the time to do that if that was actually necessary. So I have a hard time believing this is structural. In various places I had read reasons being about both needing to obtain special ties on the old movable drawbridge span portion of this, as well as about catenary/ overhead power line issues. To date I do not believe the T has released transparent, comprehensive information about this and I really wish they would - this slow zone compromises the efficacy and overall promise of GLX, a major public project, so I feel the ridership is owed an update.

I believe we've heard every single part of the viaduct (ties, catenary, structure) blamed at one point or another, so what on Earth is even going on at this point?

No one wants to be the person on the record saying that the century old viaduct cannot support modern LRVs and needs complete replacement.

The last news article I can recall that cover it is from that Commonwealth article covering slowzones as a whole but also covers the viaduct. I think we're at the point we're going to need another news reporter investigate this all over again.

But with so many concurrent issues, it's hard to focus on any particular issue. It's kinda hard to press about the viaduct when Union Sq branch is about to shutdown for 25 days while a festival is left on the lurch for a 2nd year in a row. And while the Red Line is on slow zones x100 with a branch also about to shut down.

But WTF is going on? They said custom ties and so we've waited and it sounds like it has been installed. They said rails and so we waited for that. We also remember they did shutdown the viaduct way back then which supposedly help its structure. I can't even fully remember the order of the timeline as looking up the news article has so many articles over so much time now that it's just hard to put it back together. It's probably easier to search through and re-read our old posts on this thread.

To my current knowledge, there is no official reason anymore, but how can we ask for an update?

No one wants to be the person on the record saying that the century old viaduct cannot support modern LRVs and needs complete replacement.

Let me correct that for you:
No one wants to be the person on the record saying that the century old viaduct cannot support modern LRVs after it was already shut down for a year for structural reconditioning.

Regarding East Somerville, I think there's plans in the future for it to be a lot of TOD for the space across from the bike path. I think having a 2nd entrance either on the Oliveiras or closer down on the bike path would be much better. It seems like there's a waste of a walk to go to where the station is right now.

Looks like one of those potential-TOD parcels is being discussed at the planning meeting this Thursday: Cambridge Day Link.

Specifically: "The two committees hear public comment on a proposal to change the zoning at 200 Inner Belt Road, East Somerville, which has been used since 2014 as a temporary manufacturing facility to service construction of the green line extension for the MBTA. The owners of the site seek a change to High-Rise zoning from Commercial Industry"

And the address in question:

1693943818377.png

Looks like one of those potential-TOD parcels is being discussed at the planning meeting this Thursday: Cambridge Day Link.

Specifically: "The two committees hear public comment on a proposal to change the zoning at 200 Inner Belt Road, East Somerville, which has been used since 2014 as a temporary manufacturing facility to service construction of the green line extension for the MBTA. The owners of the site seek a change to High-Rise zoning from Commercial Industry"

And the address in question:

View attachment 42438
I really hope. However. I think there should be a path on that side of the station to connect to this parcel here as well as ones in the area near Oliveiras, going parallel along the tracks. There might be a tricky crossing for the track that goes off to the east

Crossing the Lowell Line will require an overpass, with the requisite elevators. It would be an easier lift to do a grade crossing of the Tufts-bound GL track to the tip of the parking lot.

Took the GLX from Medford/Tufts in and out of Boston last week. A few observations:
  • Doesn’t take long after Medford/Tufts for the train to be crowded. Usually by Magoun Square all the seats are taken and Gilman adds more load. This was the case even on Monday & Friday which both tend to be the “work from home” days post-COVID. Really speaks to the significant population density in Somerville and how overdue they were for rapid transit service.
I ride with my kids each morning from Ball Sq to Gilman Sq, and there's a huge number of high schoolers (like my older kid) who use the line to get to school.
  • During one evening commute ride, had a Medford/Tufts bound train dump us at East Somerville to turn back to Boston. We had to wait for the next outbound Medford train. So they’re using the switch at East Somerville to short turn revenue service trains.
This morning a train arrived and we got on, only to have the driver announce that they were running express to East Somerville, so we got off. Then I was thinking we should have stayed on and backtracked one stop, but they sent out another train almost immediately. So I assume they were trying to adjust headways.
Lastly, a question. Under TD Garden where they have the middle tracks to park GL trains, at the portal incline the revenue tracks obviously head up toward the viaduct but the middle tracks remain flat. It seems like the non-revenue service tracks are meant to continue at a flat grade under the portal incline. Is there any intent behind this setup?
F-Line had a theory that it was a provision for a branch going I forget where, but I'm pretty sure there's not actually enough clearance there.

F-Line had a theory that it was a provision for a branch going I forget where, but I'm pretty sure there's not actually enough clearance there.

Got it thanks. I know my written description was poor so glad you understood. Just seems weird how the non-revenue track continues as if it is supposed to go under the portal incline, almost like there is a garage underneath the incline or add’l storage.

As a funny comment, maybe it’s meant as the tunnel provision to replace the Lechmere Viaduct under the Charles, since clearly nothing’s working on that 113 year old piece of concrete and steel right now 😊.

Lastly, a question. Under TD Garden where they have the middle tracks to park GL trains, at the portal incline the revenue tracks obviously head up toward the viaduct but the middle tracks remain flat. It seems like the non-revenue service tracks are meant to continue at a flat grade under the portal incline. Is there any intent behind this setup?

I've scrutinzed those tracks so many times, and from my view it looks like there is neither the height nor the width to accommodate to revenue tracks continuing under the incline. That's my completely 100% uneducated view, anyway.

The MBTA has added 10 speed restrictions on the GLX, all of them at 3MPH speed restricted max. Travel times have increased dramatically between Medford and Lechmere station.

https://dashboard.transitmatters.or...-12-12&endDate=2023-09-16&to=70511&from=70501

Has a needs assessment been completed to identify the skills gaps and areas where current training is inadequate?

Back