Green Line Reconfiguration

There have been a lot of good comments here. However, at the end of the day I think I’m still in favor of the Green Line Reconfiguration as discussed here using the Bay Village alignment. Here’s why:

I still think the Boylston Street tunnel is overcapacity now and, despite, organizational improvements it will either still be, or will again be in the near future. Therefore, expanding the capacity is prudent so E to Tremont is necessary.

Alon has made a lot of good points regarding the capacity of the Boylston Street tunnel and how he would address it. The problem is that 1) what the true capacity of the Boylston Street tunnel is, and 2) how much specifically any particular measure would address it is all subject to our opinion in large part. That’s what makes these forums so fun but at the same time it means even the statements we think are unassailable in their truth are often rooted, at the end of the day, in our own opinion.

For example:

Obviously, current traffic fits within current capacity.

Now how exactly do you come to this conclusion because as a rider it doesn’t feel that way?

Now I know “feelings” aren’t worth a damn but here’s what I can say. At peak, journey times are often 2-3x longer than non-peak times. That’s significant. In essence the system becomes half to one third as effective as non-peak. Moreover, when riding during peak one’s ride is often punctuated by frequent lengthy tunnel dwells and regular crush loads that can even prevent one from entering the train. This is a problem that cannot be dismissed out of hand. It’s unacceptable. This isn’t something to be just endured; we need to solve it.

Since something seems to happen between the normal operations and peak when all the trains are running I took it to mean that tunnel was being asked to do more than it could do in that time. In other words, too many trains were crammed down it. However, one could say that the tunnel has the inherent capacity to handle its demand but that the reason it slows to a crawl at peak is because the tunnel requires properly spaced headways that we are just not getting now. To address that signal light prioritization would ensure those properly spaced headways.

So let’s say we do that. I’m sure we would see a drastic improvement. However, I find it hard to believe that one would maintain that the Boylston Street tunnel would then have a lot of spare capacity at that point. If anything it is probably still bumping up against its max capacity if it’s still not clearly over it.

[Before I’m told that the Boylston Street tunnel used to handle more trains per an hour I want to say that I find those comparisons suspect. When the Boylston Street tunnel had a higher tph back in the day that was when the traffic in it was mostly PCC’s; not modern LRV’s which are obviously bigger. I just don’t think it’s a like to like comparison and thus I don’t find it persuasive.]

Ok but we’re not done. So the next move is to set up kickass EMU service on the Worcester line (I say EMU specifically because I just don’t think that the service Alon discusses on the Worcester line with more infills than are currently being considered is possible with DMU’s). This takes some pressure off the B line. The question is how much? While I believe that service would be successful and worthwhile, I believe it won’t pull as many B-line riders off as one imagines. Here’s why:

• The MBTA Blue Book gives great figures for boardings but not for alightings. This is a problem because I can say from experience that many trips on the B-line include trips up and down Comm Ave- not really into the CBD. A Worcester line EMU with infill stops would probably not address this kind of demand as much despite frequent infills.

• Additionally, Boston has a habit of holding onto historic travel patterns. When the orange line was relocated along the southwest corridor many believed a lot of the Washington Street demand was going to be handled by the new alignment because it was relatively close by. This did not happen to the extent expected and therefore the need for Washington street light rail remains. As to the reason for this I think it has to do with how the built environment has developed over the decades/centuries in Boston. As a pedestrian you are funneled to Comm Ave by the way the streets are set up and the way the buildings face. It’s hard to overcome that. Meanwhile the Worcester line is built on the back end of everything. It literally repels pedestrians. Decades of development has made that alignment an area people don’t feel drawn to. This effect may seem trivial but I don’t think it is. I think the line would develop a robust ridership over time and the built environment will come to reflect that. I just don’t think it will be a lot of B-line riders whose built environment will always send them towards that line. So I think a kickass Worcester EMU will mostly serve new development around Allston and it will grab a lot of Newton riders who either drive or take the express bus. Not a massive amount of current B-line rider.

Without a doubt the EMU service on the Worcester will thin out the B a little but I’m not sure it will do it to an extreme extent. Regardless, where does that leave us with the Boylston Street tunnel? Even assuming that after signal light prioritization we were at capacity equaling demand on the Boylston Street tunnel- i.e. we are at 100% capacity- [a big assumption in my opinion], then after the Worcester EMU are we at like 90% capacity? 80%? 95%?

I would lean towards the higher numbers above. So with increased ridership growth projected due to modal shift (and I think this is a serious factor as more people opt to not own cars) then I think we can see that even if we alleviate the Boylston Street tunnel right now with organization fixes; even without other expansions it will be bumping right up against its capacity if not exceeding it the not too distant future.

But it’s a leap to dismiss those expansions. D.5 to Needham and the Arborway restoration with dedicated lanes are critical and have a good chance of being instituted in the relatively near future. Without going on a tangent to talk about those expansions I think that, if they happen, then they definitely put us over capacity. So one way or another we need to up the capacity on the Boylston Street tunnel and the E to Tremont is the way to do it.

Now that’s one out of three parts of the Green Line Reconfiguration proposed here. What about the other two? Well we all seem to agree that bringing light rail to at least Dudley through the Tremont street tunnel is a no brainer. So that’s the second major component of the Green Line Reconfiguration proposed here. Now we are at 2 out of 3.

Finally, we have the connection with the South Boston Transitway. Despite all the well-thought out criticisms of this I am still in favor of it. The reason is because it’s a major employment center and the stub-end of the silver line makes it so it is very inconvenient for commuters to get there prompting many to drive or undertake needlessly long commutes.

Alon has been the most critical of this component. However, I disagree with some of his criticisms. First of all, telling everyone to just walk is not really addressing the issue and betrays a full understanding of the environment there. It really isn’t a viable solution for most people. Second of all, to characterize the area as just a bunch of rich condo buildings misses the point. There are a lot of employment centers in there and there will soon be more. Many people travel there from around Eastern Massachusetts to get to work; it’s not just residents walking to downtown for work. So trips originate at many places.
This is made plain by the fact that demand is so great that the private sector is trying to address it with their own private shuttles. A lot of those shuttles go to North Station to pick up workers who are arriving there and have a painful green-red-silver transfer to get to the Seaport.

Finally, just saying that this area is like West Vancouver and dropping the mic before explaining precisely why doesn’t really make sense to me. As far as I know West Vancouver is mostly residential. I’m arguing to connect the Seaport because it’s a very commercial area; not to serve high end condos. This is an Apples to Oranges comparison to me unless there is something I’m missing.

So that’s it. Three out of three. Despite all I’ve heard hear I’m still not persuaded otherwise. I still see a need for this project and I think the Bay Village alignment makes the most sense from a cost perspective. There are some very well-reasoned arguments against doing this but after hearing a lot of them I’m still in favor of this.

Everything above.

To reiterate a few things:

-The Seaport is not some far flung side project. It is quickly becoming an extension of the CBD of Boston. This isn't going to stop, Kendall is hitting a critical mass and Boston is by and large built out.

-The Worcester line is going to do a lot to help Boston with its growth, but hardly anything to help the B. It will syphon off some traffic from Packards Corner, but what its really doing is replacing the A. It will tremendously help by syphoning off traffic from the express busses, 57, 86, 64, and even the 66. The B is still going to be packed. BU and BC kids aren't going to take it to party in Allston (which you have to be a local to understand, the B at 10pm on a Saturday might as well be 9am on a weekday). When I lived in Allston, I barely went downtown, but was on the B 3, 4 times a day. Go shopping, visit a friend, eat, bored: B, B, B, B, B.

^ Yes. It's outright foolishness to NOT build some sort of rail transit to the Seaport. The Silver Line will not be able to handle much more growth.

Alon said:
I know, I know. The New Balance station idea is stupid - there's no street access from the south.

Huh? Everett Street? I must be missing something...

Something interesting that I realized when I took the time to compare the amount of land area each CBD takes up in Boston it turns out the Seaport is a little bigger than the Back Bay and a little smaller than downtown. And since it is still growing a lot and not all the land in it has development proposed although most does it will be a long time before the true level of service necessary will be seen. But it is clear it will require more than even very frequent busses in a tunnel.

Here is the map I made based on what I see as the Back Bay, Downtown, and Seaport: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-P0elakuhEs.k4qWiRxYW8To

Last edited:
[Before I’m told that the Boylston Street tunnel used to handle more trains per an hour I want to say that I find those comparisons suspect. When the Boylston Street tunnel had a higher tph back in the day that was when the traffic in it was mostly PCC’s; not modern LRV’s which are obviously bigger. I just don’t think it’s a like to like comparison and thus I don’t find it persuasive.]

How important is vehicle length here? Specifically, the impact of vehicle length on headways is that the stopping distance is really the distance between the front of a vehicle and the back of the preceding vehicle. This means the headway must go up by the time it takes the vehicle to travel its own length.

Now, 3-car Green Line trains are about 67 meters, a bit more than 50 meters more than 1-car PCCs. Current peak headway is on the order of 84 seconds. These extra 50 meters are, charitably, 10 seconds of extra travel time, at the very low speed of an ancient turnout; getting this down to 5 seconds using more modern turnouts shouldn't be difficult.

But wait! Most Green Line trains have 2 cars rather than 3. Equipping the full line with 3 cars translates to a nearly 50% increase in capacity - full 50% on the C and E branches, somewhat less on the B and D branches.

The MBTA Blue Book gives great figures for boardings but not for alightings. This is a problem because I can say from experience that many trips on the B-line include trips up and down Comm Ave- not really into the CBD. A Worcester line EMU with infill stops would probably not address this kind of demand as much despite frequent infills.

People who ride short of the CBD are irrelevant. The capacity problem isn't on Comm Ave; it's at Copley. Commuter rail modernization wouldn't take local passengers off the Green Line, but it would take off passengers who ride through the most crowded point on the line, which is what matters. The same issue also applies to people who ride the D branch to Longwood: they're not the capacity problem.

Additionally, Boston has a habit of holding onto historic travel patterns. When the orange line was relocated along the southwest corridor many believed a lot of the Washington Street demand was going to be handled by the new alignment because it was relatively close by. This did not happen to the extent expected and therefore the need for Washington street light rail remains. As to the reason for this I think it has to do with how the built environment has developed over the decades/centuries in Boston. As a pedestrian you are funneled to Comm Ave by the way the streets are set up and the way the buildings face. It’s hard to overcome that. Meanwhile the Worcester line is built on the back end of everything. It literally repels pedestrians. Decades of development has made that alignment an area people don’t feel drawn to. This effect may seem trivial but I don’t think it is. I think the line would develop a robust ridership over time and the built environment will come to reflect that. I just don’t think it will be a lot of B-line riders whose built environment will always send them towards that line. So I think a kickass Worcester EMU will mostly serve new development around Allston and it will grab a lot of Newton riders who either drive or take the express bus. Not a massive amount of current B-line rider.

I think you're sliding in something, in the juxtaposition of this and the Seaport TOD comment. At the Seaport, the argument is that it doesn't matter that it's a sea of parking lots today, because it will get redeveloped. In Allston, the argument is that there isn't any development near the tracks, despite the facts that a) there are plans for the West Station area, and b) Cambridge Street between Union Square and the Worcester Line is already commercial and just needs natural replacement of the auto shops with street-friendlier retail.

Finally, just saying that this area is like West Vancouver and dropping the mic before explaining precisely why doesn’t really make sense to me. As far as I know West Vancouver is mostly residential. I’m arguing to connect the Seaport because it’s a very commercial area; not to serve high end condos. This is an Apples to Oranges comparison to me unless there is something I’m missing.

West End, not West Vancouver. Vancouver has three separate places: West Vancouver, a low-density suburb on the other side of Burrard Inlet; the West End, a compact, very high-density neighborhood immediately west of the CBD; and the Westside, a large neighborhood south of Downtown, across False Creek, which contains the region's second biggest CBD at its northeastern end and grades toward lower density as one goes south. West Vancouver is a waste of time to serve by anything other than buses-to-the-ferry. The Westside has a north-south subway through the secondary CBD, and there are plans for an east-west one, serving the secondary CBD and UBC.

The West End, though, has two frequent trolleybuses, both short-hop routes going to Downtown. They have about 9,000 riders each, which makes total ridership three times higher than on SL2. The neighborhood is residential with some retail and hotels and a park that draws from the entire city, but the residential density there is very high. I encourage people to go to Google Earth and compare the number of skyscrapers there with the numbers anywhere in Boston except downtown; even Back Bay is basically a wash - Back Bay has fewer but taller buildings than the West End. The biggest mass is right next to Downtown, but the high-rises keep stretching to a distance of about 1.3 km from the nearest subway station, Burrard, and there's significant density even farther south and west.

The private shuttles are neither here nor there. They tend to get an enormous amount of hype relative to the ridership they carry, since the people who use them tend to be rich and self-important. For example, total traffic on the tech shuttles from San Francisco to Silicon Valley is 7,000 in each direction, if I understand page 4 here correctly. But to hear the NIMBYs talk about them, you'd think they take significant ridership and revenue from Muni, and not that they're 2% of area transit ridership.

This also brings up a broader question about city planning. The Seaport isn't booming because Boston upzoned everything and this is where developers decided to build. No: the city wants to funnel development there. If it's not feasible to walk there from South Station, then why do it? Just in order to justify $2 billion in Silver Lie Phase 3? There are areas of the city that are grossly underdeveloped relative to their transit service, and that do not require additional infrastructure, chief of which is the North Station area. Let the CBD expand to the north, where there's no need for a light rail kludge that diverts trains away from the CBD proper. Let it also expand to the south, to the immediate west of South Station tracks, and add an access point through the bus station rather than forcing people to enter through the main stationhouse. And, FFS, redevelop the warehouses on the west side of the channel, which break the streetscape between Fort Point and South Station as much as the channel does.

Something interesting that I realized when I took the time to compare the amount of land area each CBD takes up in Boston it turns out the Seaport is a little bigger than the Back Bay and a little smaller than downtown. And since it is still growing a lot and not all the land in it has development proposed although most does it will be a long time before the true level of service necessary will be seen. But it is clear it will require more than even very frequent busses in a tunnel.

Here is the map I made based on what I see as the Back Bay, Downtown, and Seaport: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-P0elakuhEs.k4qWiRxYW8To

Okay, let's compare the actual composition of those CBDs. Downtown Boston lis replete with skyscrapers. Back Bay, too. Fort Point and the Seaport have a giant parking lot in between, and a bunch of low-rises. Unfortunately, the Census's OnTheMap tool does not have job counts for Massachusetts, so we can't count the number of jobs in each district, but I will be surprised if the Seaport is even remotely close to Back Bay and Kendall Square, let alone Downtown Boston.

The comparison with Longwood is instructive. Longwood has a few Green Line stations with a few thousand daily boardings each. Even counting Fenway, which is a stretch, it's 14,000 weekday boardings. The Back Bay stations have 55,000. The core downtown stations - the four transfer points plus South Station and Aquarium - have 97,000.

^ Yes. It's outright foolishness to NOT build some sort of rail transit to the Seaport. The Silver Line will not be able to handle much more growth.

I believe that was the long term intention of the Silver Line. Create some Bus tunnels that could later be connected together and converted to rail when and if capacity needs justify the greater expense.

On a different note, this is probably a ridiculous idea, but how about a Green Line branch to South Boston on Broadway? The idea is that the Tremont Street Subway should be fed by multiple branches. F-Line to Mattapan and Forest Hills are really one branch since they run on the street together north of Dudley, so maybe there should be another branch. In addition, the Pleasant Street incline is north of the Turnpike, and requires an awkward pair of turns to get the trains from Tremont Street to Washington Street.

The solution to both issues: continue the tunnel across the Turnpike, at Washington to avoid interfering with the NSRL portal, and then swing east. The F-Line surfaces on Washington just north of East Berkeley Street. The G-Line swings to Traveler Street, and continues east on the surface to Broadway, and thence goes all the way to City Point. This more or less railstitutes bus lines 9 and 11.

Another question: regardless of whether this is done, is a station in the vicinity of Eliot Norton Park worth it? From Boylston to East Berkeley it's about a kilometer, which is fine for a subway, but maybe not downtown, and too long for light rail.

I get the sense that the current political leadership would oppose it on two fronts. First the rail and then opposing any development along the rail.

On a different note, this is probably a ridiculous idea, but how about a Green Line branch to South Boston on Broadway? The idea is that the Tremont Street Subway should be fed by multiple branches. F-Line to Mattapan and Forest Hills are really one branch since they run on the street together north of Dudley, so maybe there should be another branch. In addition, the Pleasant Street incline is north of the Turnpike, and requires an awkward pair of turns to get the trains from Tremont Street to Washington Street.

There was a streetcar line that ran down Broadway but it met the same fate as all the rest. You're going to run into very strong resistance in Southie to streetcars. Even the Silver Line buses were cut way back from original routes. Also keep in mind that most Southie commuters take the Red Line and all a streetcar route would do is act as a feeder line. By the time it reached Boylston St it would be virtually empty.

Another question: regardless of whether this is done, is a station in the vicinity of Eliot Norton Park worth it? From Boylston to East Berkeley it's about a kilometer, which is fine for a subway, but maybe not downtown, and too long for light rail.

That's a valid point. It's not like that area is much of a destination and it is already served by the Orange Line. Originally there was a surface station on the Green Line here.

This is why I originally routed the Huntington Ave Ext. under Stuart St. A new station in the theater district would be more beneficial than one at Eliot Norton. Granted it is very close to Boylston.

There are areas of the city that are grossly underdeveloped relative to their transit service, and that do not require additional infrastructure, chief of which is the North Station area. Let the CBD expand to the north, where there's no need for a light rail kludge that diverts trains away from the CBD proper.

North station is getting its tall buildings soon. Even worse is the Rutherford Ave corridor from City Square to Sullivan.

North station is getting its tall buildings soon. Even worse is the Rutherford Ave corridor from City Square to Sullivan.

Even still North Station can handle the crowds. If the NSRL is ever built more people will be using South Station and so the pressure at North will be even less. The North Station area isn't even geographically large enough to need more transit even with the new towers (which aren't large enough to put any real strain on the transit system).

Rutherford Ave is an arterial highway that is in need of a severe road diet. The only thing it needs in terms of transit are bus lanes and I don't even know if it really needs those since no bus routes use it.

I'd like to see the T work to resolve the backlog in the Boylston tunnel using the existing infrastructure. The T only runs 10 3 car trains (from the last Blue Book). The problem is they are on the B and D and most of the time are nowhere near the tunnel.

Some ideas:keep the C line out of the tunnel at peak by turning the trains at Kenmore. You can probably then downgrade some trains to 1 car with the benefit of shorter headways. Run the E to North Station on all 3 car trains. Strip 3 car trains from the B & D. They spend too much time in the hinterlands where 2 cars will do just fine. Fill the gaps created with a peak train that runs from Lechmere to Reservoir(G). I don't think you can fill this line with 3 car trains, but you should be able to get some in the mix. A reallocation would go something like this: B - 36, C - 15, D - 30, E - 30, G - 32 Ad Hoc - 3. Depending on timing, run the D as express to Reservoir or short turn at Kenmore if the tunnel is "full". I don't know if this is the best reconfiguration, but it should result in more 3 car trains and fewer 2 car trains through the North Station - Copley stretch. Fewer trains in the tunnel should improve running time and allow for more trips overall as well.

Not sure this is the best way to do it, but I die a little inside staring at the dark tunnel walls.

Uhhh... fewer trains? You mean more packed trains. You die a little looking at dark walls, how would you feel waiting for 4 trains to go by just to be packed in like sardines. The Green Line needs to run MORE 3 car trains, not less.

Fewer 2 car trains in the tunnel, more 3 car trains in the tunnel.

There's only so many cars available to run and only so many trains that can fit in the tunnel at any one time. Working within the constraint of 146 cars that currently run each day, it looks like there's room to do this. They currently run 10 now - I think you can get to 12-14 in service without adding any trains to the fleet, mostly by taking them from the C line. In addition - they run the 10 on the B & D. So 75%-80% of the time, they are not in the tunnel. Move these to the E, and they will run underground somewhere around 50% of the time. The risk is they get hung up on Huntington, but it's still about as much variability as the B sees with its median and is still a shorter run than the D.

It also doesn't help if that 3 car train is stuck between stations, not moving and not able to take passengers. If you can only fit say 10 trains between Park & Copley, the 11th car does about as much good as the 20th.

Last edited:
The reason they do not run more three-car trains is because the MBTA is afraid of overloading the power system in the tunnels. Apparently it dates back to the 1940s and nobody alive knows its limitations.

The three-car train schedule has been deliberately designed to avoid having more than one or two three-car trains within the tunnels at the same time.

Investigating and upgrading the power system is one of those capital funding line items that's awaiting. I think there has been a study funded so far, that's it, but the full (re)build will probably cost in the hundreds of millions.

The reason they do not run more three-car trains is because the MBTA is afraid of overloading the power system in the tunnels. Apparently it dates back to the 1940s and nobody alive knows its limitations.

The three-car train schedule has been deliberately designed to avoid having more than one or two three-car trains within the tunnels at the same time.

Investigating and upgrading the power system is one of those capital funding line items that's awaiting. I think there has been a study funded so far, that's it, but the full (re)build will probably cost in the hundreds of millions.

All of the substations and most of the electrical infrastructure dates to the 1980s or newer. They first started making improvements to operate more three car trains in the 1980s, then again in the 1990s, and yet it is still not known what the theoretical capacity is.

The solution to both issues: continue the tunnel across the Turnpike, at Washington to avoid interfering with the NSRL portal, and then swing east. The F-Line surfaces on Washington just north of East Berkeley Street. The G-Line swings to Traveler Street, and continues east on the surface to Broadway, and thence goes all the way to City Point. This more or less railstitutes bus lines 9 and 11.

That was basically the original routing from the Tremont Street Portal -- one line went out Broadway (which ran right by the portal in those days), and the other line went out Tremont Street. But you will never see street running in Southie again.

BPLange7: Then the solution is a modern signal system and more cars. More cars can't happen until the new Green Line shops open up as part of the GLX. The signals, along with actually implementing priority signaling on the street, would help tremendously as you can reduce headways.

Still this requires more cars.

Yes - by no means meant to suggest you could reconfigure the routes out of the current situation or that this would near the amount of improvement you'd see from improved signaling. Just was thinking on Alon's comment that few - by my calculation 15% - cars are 3 car trains and a lot of capacity is therefore left on the table. Was trying to work within the current constraints of 146 cars and somewhere around 10 trains in the tunnel at any one time.

The electrical issue that Matthew brought up is a much bigger issue another constraint to add in and this pretty much sets the cap pretty low. I still think there's some benefit to turning C trains at Kenmore when the tunnel is full, but the benefit of reallocating is much less.

Speaking of cars though - I thought the GLX cars are only going to be enough to serve the GLX and won't actually add any capacity to the system overall. Also - what's going on with the 50 or so GL cars that aren't in service? The T lists 200 or so in its fleet but only 150 in service.

Back