Green Line Reconfiguration

On a second thought a day later, the Science Park bottleneck seems like purely a signal problem that should be fixable with a better signaling system, allowing multiple trains to be on the Science Park-North Station stretch at a time. Just climbing up the ramp itself shouldn't cause much troubles.

While this won't let you easily increase service on the Union Sq and Medford/Tufts branches until the stub ends get resolved (i.e. lines extended), it should still allow new branches.
You might need to dig deeper into the source of the trainset restrictions on that ramp. The North Station to Science Park ramp is quite steep (6.5% grade), near LRT maximum. The restriction there could be safety related, and not solvable with signaling.

You might need to dig deeper into the source of the trainset restrictions on that ramp. The North Station to Science Park ramp is quite steep (6.5% grade), near LRT maximum. The restriction there could be safety related, and not solvable with signaling.

Makes me wonder if the restrictions are in case of a runaway/rollback brake failure, or more "we don't trust the operators" on such a steep section without some external stop system, 'cause if it's the second one, that one's fixable.

I went down a rabbit hole and found some interesting things under analysis, and sketched out some questionable solutions.

Let’s imagine a future world where:

• Green Line is extended to the Seaport, with LRT services running between Longwood/Back Bay, South Station, and the Seaport
  • A third Ted Williams bore is not built, relegating cross-harbor services (e.g. Seaport <> Airport, and Seaport <> Chelsea) to segregated bus lanes in the existing tunnels
  • The Piers Transitway is maxed out capacity-wise, and/or we don’t want the dedicated ROW LRT services mixing with the largely-but-not-totally-separated bus services

In this world, where do those Ted Williams bus services go once they reach the Seaport?

Previously, I’ve suggested funneling them into the Summer St bus corridor, and consolidating the various BRT routes running into Downtown & the Seaport under a single “brand” – either a “Navy Line”, or just the good ol’ Silver Line.

And that’s… probably fine. But when did I ever let “probably fine” stop me from fiddling? So, here’s an idea for creating a pair of BRT services for the Seaport, in addition to LRT in the Piers Transitway.

The “Navy Line” (or whatever we want to call it) remains the Congress St/Summer St corridor, extended along the Tobin Bridge to Chelsea (supplemented by non-BRT feeder routes from the T7 in Charlestown and South Boston, the T111 to Woodlawn, and potentially the T116, if we can get reliability across the Tobin high enough). This route terminates around World Trade Center station.

The “Silver Line” is basically today’s Silver Line, but rerouted on to Congress St in the Seaport.

ngVMRhAKf7JtcMfEHFXPNDHfO34X6iakOJNuMq8EeRpOq35B-OZnoOawmt9lcgN1y9XGm6CxUxs5rbEwGO5v75w9sbY_BaSWrKwU5laa-BKW6bwzhlxs1n1Ted2vz2LnBn_767qUZnvzbIEJQgj91yg

ALfRtPTWq4QiyrOaWFEOfQJAJJA55FHx5BzKK1qDV6MeBvmfsDJXNKSjZd1YfGiRk5XIcsUJW1B2IZsaYpDkRb_rLnrdBFayvvRqBodzj_uimX_mA7xo1tBPckEu8-xQ3AX6azLrlk7fRzKRqcxF-DQ

SL1 and SL3 services emerge on to Congress St directly from the highway, and bear left toward downtown. A stop just before A St provides access to Seaport jobs (see below), as well as transfer to SL2 for service to the far eastern section of the Seaport. After crossing the channel, these routes do a loop around the Federal Reserve building before heading back out.

Going outbound, SL1 and SL3 do a slightly roundabout jog to the south to pick up the on-ramp into the tunnel; SL2 service continues down Congress St, stopping outside the WTC stop before potentially continuing on to the Design Center branch, where they could interline with LRT service, though that’s probably overkill.

Why is this better than running along Summer St? Arguably, this alignment lets the cross-harbor services get to South Station as quickly as possible, while still providing some level of access to the Seaport. On the other hand, it’s not clear that the time-savings would be massive, and while I do think the A St stop location serves the Seaport reasonably well, it’s also definitely true that this alignment serves the Seaport less.

As for the question of stop location, here is the On-The-Map rendering of the Seaport (enhanced for legibility):

wtzNbiZo7-wnEqo6CRtWRIndTu2dxQDl_elJUymZ1h_Wt2tHkC0zYeSq6eNt4rsof2uZe5HKmDHwXDpdf7sM2sbT0Qtqf6Ecq23kfQYEutxDh6yG9pMtv-BoBVeZ0a_tLzrMycH-395oSUBxhmotwuw

And here are the overlapping 10 minute walksheds of stops at A St, at Pier Four Boulevard, and in front of WTC station (note that the boundaries are not precise):

0qt3-gA1IRDIeMOB3Jo52VQyemlNc-jU5AmcxBITVRJ3LfHTJT_eiiTrQr0HpH-TdkqL169_jcmUiDWyoW9nCIYWkEfNpDoVyZCYxH4zwVwKo27IQB_vY_3C0Ejc0nNsnU2gCEDc_INcpa8CL5sgosA

And for completeness, here is the A St walkshed on its own:

RzAFBy_LsWGHGJHQcKT4E-MVZ_OFovyFd3B-mmHIcN9TZPNAJsc8-KceXw2Wg8vHSpx71c1qRyqs05YwbqJKC5cGuz8EDRZBnGHH9vwjcp3NydANLUA2M4BwIRDKz5AF24h4XfCCvrjD6lO9yjwzkq8

And WTC on its own:
7DkbdbhiLUHUg5IRkZwzKut9PWt6pWaEwsS7RkTuQnurZzh8m3kVeUsP-D-AL_m60QsKiB8NCg8i4VBWda52RYN1vSfSISRBx5VAwMDkq0O8xYUyXyK9bw63Zorn2bS4dgAq09hjGBunLjjq6BLZC6I

Somewhat surprisingly, WTC doesn’t actually net you that many more jobs (I think) – you get the WTC itself, that office building on D St, and some smaller job centers out near Silver Line Way and Northern Avenue, but it’s not as big of a difference as I expected.

Separating out the “Silver Line” from the “Navy Line” raises another question: why stop at South Station?

Well, the reason to stop at South Station is that you then have to contend with x many more feet of street-running and y many more traffic lights.

I definitely wouldn’t want to run our new SL1 and SL3 services beyond South Station – their journeys are long enough already.

But an SL2 service, aided by bus lanes and TSP, connecting at Chinatown and Boylston (requiring Avery St to be reversed to one-way the other way), would provide a 2-seat-ride to the Seaport for Park St- and Government Center-terminating Green Lines services. The alignment below is about 4500 feet of street-running westbound and about 2500 feet eastbound.

(If you got aggressive with lane-taking on Essex and built a contraflow lane, you could shorten that westbound journey to be similar length to the eastbound.)

2BV9oOyup45ucRmk4IQApvYE6v-qK1JLU--xQFD71XzJUmx3YE-auvLztiLggEzQ2Go-9Jr6mcJNghxi7VzJ4hqC_tZEe3F0RPCwUXM12WdoJhaVZYvr_C65nAmhUY7XxIiRPcxx3_UUrukb5ezLpWk

Anyway, this is in the Green Line Reconfiguration thread because it covers potential alternatives if the Green Line ends up consuming all slots in the Piers Transitway, and because this dubious SL2 service would provide a two-seat ride for Kenmore Division <> Seaport journeys, which – even with a transfer tunnel at Back Bay + Copley – still remains one of the annoying loose ends of my recent designs.

(Mostly I wanted to memorialize the analysis of Seaport jobs.)

I went down a rabbit hole and found some interesting things under analysis, and sketched out some questionable solutions.

Let’s imagine a future world where:

• Green Line is extended to the Seaport, with LRT services running between Longwood/Back Bay, South Station, and the Seaport
  • A third Ted Williams bore is not built, relegating cross-harbor services (e.g. Seaport <> Airport, and Seaport <> Chelsea) to segregated bus lanes in the existing tunnels
  • The Piers Transitway is maxed out capacity-wise, and/or we don’t want the dedicated ROW LRT services mixing with the largely-but-not-totally-separated bus services

In this world, where do those Ted Williams bus services go once they reach the Seaport?

Previously, I’ve suggested funneling them into the Summer St bus corridor, and consolidating the various BRT routes running into Downtown & the Seaport under a single “brand” – either a “Navy Line”, or just the good ol’ Silver Line.

And that’s… probably fine. But when did I ever let “probably fine” stop me from fiddling? So, here’s an idea for creating a pair of BRT services for the Seaport, in addition to LRT in the Piers Transitway.

The “Navy Line” (or whatever we want to call it) remains the Congress St/Summer St corridor, extended along the Tobin Bridge to Chelsea (supplemented by non-BRT feeder routes from the T7 in Charlestown and South Boston, the T111 to Woodlawn, and potentially the T116, if we can get reliability across the Tobin high enough). This route terminates around World Trade Center station.

The “Silver Line” is basically today’s Silver Line, but rerouted on to Congress St in the Seaport.

ngVMRhAKf7JtcMfEHFXPNDHfO34X6iakOJNuMq8EeRpOq35B-OZnoOawmt9lcgN1y9XGm6CxUxs5rbEwGO5v75w9sbY_BaSWrKwU5laa-BKW6bwzhlxs1n1Ted2vz2LnBn_767qUZnvzbIEJQgj91yg

ALfRtPTWq4QiyrOaWFEOfQJAJJA55FHx5BzKK1qDV6MeBvmfsDJXNKSjZd1YfGiRk5XIcsUJW1B2IZsaYpDkRb_rLnrdBFayvvRqBodzj_uimX_mA7xo1tBPckEu8-xQ3AX6azLrlk7fRzKRqcxF-DQ

SL1 and SL3 services emerge on to Congress St directly from the highway, and bear left toward downtown. A stop just before A St provides access to Seaport jobs (see below), as well as transfer to SL2 for service to the far eastern section of the Seaport. After crossing the channel, these routes do a loop around the Federal Reserve building before heading back out.

Going outbound, SL1 and SL3 do a slightly roundabout jog to the south to pick up the on-ramp into the tunnel; SL2 service continues down Congress St, stopping outside the WTC stop before potentially continuing on to the Design Center branch, where they could interline with LRT service, though that’s probably overkill.

Why is this better than running along Summer St? Arguably, this alignment lets the cross-harbor services get to South Station as quickly as possible, while still providing some level of access to the Seaport. On the other hand, it’s not clear that the time-savings would be massive, and while I do think the A St stop location serves the Seaport reasonably well, it’s also definitely true that this alignment serves the Seaport less.

As for the question of stop location, here is the On-The-Map rendering of the Seaport (enhanced for legibility):

wtzNbiZo7-wnEqo6CRtWRIndTu2dxQDl_elJUymZ1h_Wt2tHkC0zYeSq6eNt4rsof2uZe5HKmDHwXDpdf7sM2sbT0Qtqf6Ecq23kfQYEutxDh6yG9pMtv-BoBVeZ0a_tLzrMycH-395oSUBxhmotwuw

And here are the overlapping 10 minute walksheds of stops at A St, at Pier Four Boulevard, and in front of WTC station (note that the boundaries are not precise):

0qt3-gA1IRDIeMOB3Jo52VQyemlNc-jU5AmcxBITVRJ3LfHTJT_eiiTrQr0HpH-TdkqL169_jcmUiDWyoW9nCIYWkEfNpDoVyZCYxH4zwVwKo27IQB_vY_3C0Ejc0nNsnU2gCEDc_INcpa8CL5sgosA

And for completeness, here is the A St walkshed on its own:

RzAFBy_LsWGHGJHQcKT4E-MVZ_OFovyFd3B-mmHIcN9TZPNAJsc8-KceXw2Wg8vHSpx71c1qRyqs05YwbqJKC5cGuz8EDRZBnGHH9vwjcp3NydANLUA2M4BwIRDKz5AF24h4XfCCvrjD6lO9yjwzkq8

And WTC on its own:
7DkbdbhiLUHUg5IRkZwzKut9PWt6pWaEwsS7RkTuQnurZzh8m3kVeUsP-D-AL_m60QsKiB8NCg8i4VBWda52RYN1vSfSISRBx5VAwMDkq0O8xYUyXyK9bw63Zorn2bS4dgAq09hjGBunLjjq6BLZC6I

Somewhat surprisingly, WTC doesn’t actually net you that many more jobs (I think) – you get the WTC itself, that office building on D St, and some smaller job centers out near Silver Line Way and Northern Avenue, but it’s not as big of a difference as I expected.

Separating out the “Silver Line” from the “Navy Line” raises another question: why stop at South Station?

Well, the reason to stop at South Station is that you then have to contend with x many more feet of street-running and y many more traffic lights.

I definitely wouldn’t want to run our new SL1 and SL3 services beyond South Station – their journeys are long enough already.

But an SL2 service, aided by bus lanes and TSP, connecting at Chinatown and Boylston (requiring Avery St to be reversed to one-way the other way), would provide a 2-seat-ride to the Seaport for Park St- and Government Center-terminating Green Lines services. The alignment below is about 4500 feet of street-running westbound and about 2500 feet eastbound.

(If you got aggressive with lane-taking on Essex and built a contraflow lane, you could shorten that westbound journey to be similar length to the eastbound.)

2BV9oOyup45ucRmk4IQApvYE6v-qK1JLU--xQFD71XzJUmx3YE-auvLztiLggEzQ2Go-9Jr6mcJNghxi7VzJ4hqC_tZEe3F0RPCwUXM12WdoJhaVZYvr_C65nAmhUY7XxIiRPcxx3_UUrukb5ezLpWk

Anyway, this is in the Green Line Reconfiguration thread because it covers potential alternatives if the Green Line ends up consuming all slots in the Piers Transitway, and because this dubious SL2 service would provide a two-seat ride for Kenmore Division <> Seaport journeys, which – even with a transfer tunnel at Back Bay + Copley – still remains one of the annoying loose ends of my recent designs.

(Mostly I wanted to memorialize the analysis of Seaport jobs.)
I love it. Congress St provides a much faster connection to the Ted that's time-competitive with a non-stop SS-Logan SL1 service (while having some intermediate ridership), and does a reasonably good job at retaining SL3's demand to both Seaport and Airport (further analysis to be done about whether SL3 riders from Chelsea/BL use WTC and SLW).

Another advantage of Congress St that's not obvious on the maps: Getting to the Courthouse area is much more convenient. Summer St is elevated above where the jobs, shops etc are, and the stairs at A St are narrow, not obvious, and inaccessible to people with disabilities. I personally had cases where I couldn't figure out how to get to Congress from Summer.

Under your proposal, I'd argue that the Design Center loop doesn't necessarily need to be served by SL2. It can belong to either an LRT route or a Navy Line route from Summer St. Likewise, the Boylston route may also choose either Congress or Summer, which merits further examination (using Summer may give you a more direct ride, but I'm not sure).

(I'll also mention my own, very preliminary solution for the Kenmore-Seaport 2SR: Through-running the Oak Square branch with a surface LRT from Bay Village to City Point via Broadway, essentially LRT-ifying the 9 bus. This was inspired by recent conversations, and I'll refine the proposal more at some point.)

Another advantage of Congress St that's not obvious on the maps: Getting to the Courthouse area is much more convenient. Summer St is elevated above where the jobs, shops etc are, and the stairs at A St are narrow, not obvious, and inaccessible to people with disabilities. I personally had cases where I couldn't figure out how to get to Congress from Summer
Yes, this was something I was thinking about, in particular in the wake of your analysis showing that Courthouse had higher ridership than I expected, which then precipitated my jobs analysis.
Under your proposal, I'd argue that the Design Center loop doesn't necessarily need to be served by SL2. It can belong to either an LRT route or a Navy Line route from Summer St. Likewise, the Boylston route may also choose either Congress or Summer, which merits further examination (using Summer may give you a more direct ride, but I'm not sure).
The reason I want SL2 to still serve Design Center, and why I want it on Congress, is to provide an easy transfer for SL3 commuters to the rest of the Seaport. That's how I feel I can justify the loss of one-seat access to WTC and SLW. Board SL3 in Chelsea, disembark at A St/Congress St, board an outbound SL2 at the "platform" across the street. (And I would just as soon not have the Green Line venturing out onto the street at all, but...)

Similar feeling about connecting to Boylston -- if we're gonna do the headache of street-running to Boylston, I want it to serve the Seaport more centrally than Summer can. (There is some version of the Navy Line that uses Congress St in the Seaport, but that requires an annoying loop around the Federal Reserve building, and Summer St -- though less central -- would be faster over all.)
(I'll also mention my own, very preliminary solution for the Kenmore-Seaport 2SR: Through-running the Oak Square branch with a surface LRT from Bay Village to City Point via Broadway, essentially LRT-ifying the 9 bus. This was inspired by recent conversations, and I'll refine the proposal more at some point.)
Looking forward to hearing more!

Can you squeeze a third platform north of the existing Kenmore station?

The building-to-building width of Kenmore Square starts at about 170 feet on the western end and opens up to about 300 feet at the eastern end:

1700853491402.png

My idea is to "copy and paste" the footprint of 1 track + 1 island platform + 1 track, and slot it in north of the existing platforms. And... it looks like there is room? I did sketches from three sources.

First, the 1938 Bromley Atlas:
1700853606777.png

Then using @The EGE's underground station diagram:

1700853676547.png

And finally using Open Street Map:

1700853743272.png

I don't know that any of these sources are 100% precise, but it certainly looks in all three cases like there would be space to copy the existing track side-by-side spacing and one of the existing islands, and plop them to the north. As can best be seen on the Bromley version, the intersection to the west is a little tight, but again it looks like there should be plenty of room.

Can you squeeze a third platform north of the existing Kenmore station?

The building-to-building width of Kenmore Square starts at about 170 feet on the western end and opens up to about 300 feet at the eastern end:

View attachment 44944

My idea is to "copy and paste" the footprint of 1 track + 1 island platform + 1 track, and slot it in north of the existing platforms. And... it looks like there is room? I did sketches from three sources.

First, the 1938 Bromley Atlas:
View attachment 44945

Then using @The EGE's underground station diagram:

View attachment 44946

And finally using Open Street Map:

View attachment 44947

I don't know that any of these sources are 100% precise, but it certainly looks in all three cases like there would be space to copy the existing track side-by-side spacing and one of the existing islands, and plop them to the north. As can best be seen on the Bromley version, the intersection to the west is a little tight, but again it looks like there should be plenty of room.
The one concern might be that the existing subway was built along the south side of Kenmore Sq to leave space along the north side of Kenmore Sq for utilities. If that's the case, then those utilities would have to be accommodated somehow. Maybe build the new subway deeper, with space above it for utilities?

The one concern might be that the existing subway was built along the south side of Kenmore Sq to leave space along the north side of Kenmore Sq for utilities. If that's the case, then those utilities would have to be accommodated somehow. Maybe build the new subway deeper, with space above it for utilities?
Yeah, it also occurred to me that this new platform go under the existing station, though obviously that would increase construction cost and complexity. One of the things that I like about the "Kenmore North" idea is that it would have a very easy transfer to existing services, so I'd want to preserve that.

I sketched up a couple of alternatives, starting with a cleaner version of "Kenmore North":

1700861325694.png

Then we have @Teban54's really interesting idea for "Kenmore-Lansdowne":

1700861384560.png

And then you have "Kenmore West", where you instead put the exciting stuff under Comm Ave. This transfer is actually about the same distance as Kenmore-Lansdowne, but the downside is that everyone will be transferring between the existing Green Line platforms and the terminal platform at Kenmore West, as opposed to Kenmore-Lansdowne, which at least will avoid transfers for passengers going to Longwood:

1700861558354.png

Assuming that building a "Kenmore North" platform is easier than building a new rapid transit crossing under/over the Mass Pike (whether at BU or Brookline Ave or elsewhere), then you can realize the Green Line Reconfiguration dream of centralizing transfers at Kenmore, while utilizing existing tunnels, ROWs, or (hopefully) otherwise easy tunneling under Comm Ave to connect West Station, Kendall, and Longwood:

1700863239990.png

And... well, not gonna lie, it's hardly a crayon perfectionist's delight, but I'm mildly confident that this would be by far the least expensive option out there. And assuming you can build this new platform at Kenmore with a maximally easy transfer, I think this could be reasonable and viable. It would make a Blue Line extension to Kenmore a bit more complicated, but I would rather prioritize the circumferential service.

You'd still have the concern with a BLX to Kenmore (which is just as needed and has arguably more momentum among transit fans and real-world proposals alike), so I think utilities need to be figured out somehow.

you can realize the Green Line Reconfiguration dream of centralizing transfers at Kenmore, while utilizing existing tunnels, ROWs, or (hopefully) otherwise easy tunneling under Comm Ave to connect West Station, Kendall, and Longwood:

View attachment 44956
I recall that about 1.5 years ago, there were discussions on how to allocate tph for the Kenmore branches (Harvard, Oak Square/Watertown, Boston College, Cleveland Circle and possibly Riverside/Needham -- but especially Watertown), under the assumption that the Central Subway has limited capacity that cannot support all these extensions. At that time, the inability to short-turn Comm Ave trains at Kenmore became a notable problem:
The issue with running the A into the Central Subway is figuring out the slots, retaining the possibility of Needham/Nubian/Seaport routings into the Central Subway, and being politically feasible.

Short turning C at Kenmore is doable mechanically, but politically impossible.
Short turning A at Kenmore is impossible mechanically, but politically doable.
Your proposals of a new terminal at Kenmore can actually address such problems (if a flyover to the B's tracks is built, which is easily doable under the uber-wide Comm Ave). Ironically, the idea of needing to short-turn Comm Ave trains at Kenmore has fallen out of favor since then, but it can still be a way to have useful Watertown/Oak Sq service without overloading the Park St inner loop.

An issue I have with making Kenmore the terminus of all circumferential routes in this area, though, is that it makes two important trips 2-seat rides (or 3-seat rides for subway riders further out):
  • RL North - Longwood (whether via the more convenient Harvard transfer, or the much more tedious Kendall transfer via GJ)
  • OL North - Longwood
Sullivan to Longwood Ave/Brookline Ave via East Somerville, BU Bridge and Kenmore is 5.23 mi (very very roughly), while Sullivan - North Station - LMA station - Longwood/Brookline is 5.41 mi with a cross-platform transfer. The former is a 3-seat ride for a Malden rider; the latter is a 2-seat-ride. Considering that both still include 10-min walk to get to Longwood-Brookline, the 3SR is simply not competitive at all.

While Harvard to LMA still wins in distance compared to a downtown transfer, the 3-seat ride alone (and its associated uncertainties due to frequency) may deter many riders from considering it. Also, at that point, improving bus connections from Kenmore to the doorsteps of the LMA hospitals may be more popular.

Assuming that building a "Kenmore North" platform is easier than building a new rapid transit crossing under/over the Mass Pike (whether at BU or Brookline Ave or elsewhere)
I personally think crossing under the Mass Pike itself doesn't seem like a big engineering problem. The Pike is a road, just like any other road that people propose tunneling under. You can theoretically even do C&C under it.

I'd expect more issues with going under the Worcester line, honestly, though I have no idea about its difficulty. Bing AI just told me that you can dig a trench (citations one, two, three, four), so it may still be doable?

It would make a Blue Line extension to Kenmore a bit more complicated, but I would rather prioritize the circumferential service.
I'd say BLX to Kenmore is still quite important especially in an all-ring-routes-end-at-Kenmore world, because:
  • Relief to Kenmore itself, which is already needed today, and will be more necessary due to induced demand coming from all these new routes
  • Connections to the Kenmore hub (now with all the circumferential routes) for Blue Line riders
  • Providing BL connections for the B/C branches that end at Park St under GL Reconfiguration

The existing pedestrian tunnel seems like it intentionally dips under something there, although I have no idea what that might be.

I'd say BLX to Kenmore is still quite important especially in an all-ring-routes-end-at-Kenmore world, because:
  • Relief to Kenmore itself, which is already needed today, and will be more necessary due to induced demand coming from all these new routes
  • Connections to the Kenmore hub (now with all the circumferential routes) for Blue Line riders
  • Providing BL connections for the B/C branches that end at Park St under GL Reconfiguration
In my opinion, BLX to Kenmore is a very high priority. I would go further, and continue the BL along the D line to Riverside, plus a BL branch to Needham. This would connect the metro west to high jobs areas and Logan.

BLX to Kenmore is a project that's at least 25 years down the pike. BLX to Charles/MGH will have to overload the RL so much that extending the BL (again) is the only option. A bit of a chicken/egg situation. I wouldn't worry about it for a while.

^ To that point, I think the “next level” of developing the Green Line Reconfiguration concept is some level of staging/phasing being incorporated, along the lines of “Initial Build” and “Next Generation Build”, for example. We tend to collapse all possible future points into a single map, and while some of these components have dependencies, most are (by design) fungible, and have “min vs max build” alternatives.

(IRL is busy this week, so apologies for any slow responses — not trying to duck out or anything.)

^ To that point, I think the “next level” of developing the Green Line Reconfiguration concept is some level of staging/phasing being incorporated, along the lines of “Initial Build” and “Next Generation Build”, for example. We tend to collapse all possible future points into a single map, and while some of these components have dependencies, most are (by design) fungible, and have “min vs max build” alternatives.

(IRL is busy this week, so apologies for any slow responses — not trying to duck out or anything.)
I think the "minimum build" would just be the second central subway and extended Huntington Ave subway. Anything less than that and you're not really "reconfiguring" the GL, just slightly modifying it. That plus the Washington St LRT (and Needham Extension, I guess, but that's more of a project by courtesy) would make a nice, neat package. I think only then does it really start to make sense to look into more branches to places like Brighton, Cambridge, Southie, Watertown, etc.

Interesting question! Some first thoughts while I distract myself from my actual work:

Final Form of the Historic Green Line (Initial Build)
1. F-Line. This is long overdue, but doing it first means you have to figure out the Bay Village problem decades before you build a lot of it. This can be accommodated in today's Green Line by running the B to Park Street.
2. West to Lechmere (Grand Junction LRT) as Kendall continues to boom and Beacon Park starts to redevelop. Could run to Brattle Loop or combine with the F.
3. Build the the northeast Urban Ring with service to the Logan terminals if you can get Massport to contribute a bunch of money instead of building their own APM (which they will probably want to do right around this time). Skip for now if they won't pay.*
4. Built extension from Newton Highlands to Needham. By this point, the NEC should be starting to get pressed for slots and it's time to bite the bullet and do it. Cut most Riverside cars back to Kenmore and have Needham take over most of the through-running. I don't like how little connectivity this has to Blue.
5. Extend Union Square to Porter or Watertown.

Modernized LRT & Historic Trams (Next Generation)
6. D-E connector and Huntington-Bay Village Subway. We've added on several appendages to the existing Green Line infrastructure and wrung the last drops of capacity it has out by short-turning various services. Now it's time, to @TheRatmeister's point to actually reconfigure the Green Line so it can realize increased service and bite the bullet with this megaproject. This subway is the crux of the whole thing, separating most of the modern LRT system from the historic tram system, with a transfer at Park Street
7. Seaport Transitway conversion and South Station to Bay Village connection
8. Northeast UR if wasn't done already.*
9. Comm Ave Subway and Allston Wye
10. West to Harvard connector (do earlier if you get Harvard to pay)
11. Kenmore to Nubian via Longwood (in whatever form that takes as we have discussed at length)
12. A-Branch rebuilding all the way to Watertown if there is a Kenmore slot left**

*Can LRT and BRT coexist on the Chelsea Transitway? I know we've discussed the Seaport Transitway and why running LRT + BRT through here doesn't make sense, but I don't think I've seen this specific topic discussed and it seems like it might make more sense in Chelsea particularly given the higher speeds here.
** I know @Riverside has proposed a SL57, but I don't really see how that would work. With LRT or BRT you have to fix Newton Corner. Tremont/Washington is easy. Going back to Watertown gets you a free optimally-placed yard too.

I recall that about 1.5 years ago, there were discussions on how to allocate tph for the Kenmore branches (Harvard, Oak Square/Watertown, Boston College, Cleveland Circle and possibly Riverside/Needham -- but especially Watertown), under the assumption that the Central Subway has limited capacity that cannot support all these extensions. At that time, the inability to short-turn Comm Ave trains at Kenmore became a notable problem:

The issue with running the A into the Central Subway is figuring out the slots, retaining the possibility of Needham/Nubian/Seaport routings into the Central Subway, and being politically feasible.

Short turning C at Kenmore is doable mechanically, but politically impossible.
Short turning A at Kenmore is impossible mechanically, but politically doable.

Your proposals of a new terminal at Kenmore can actually address such problems (if a flyover to the B's tracks is built, which is easily doable under the uber-wide Comm Ave). Ironically, the idea of needing to short-turn Comm Ave trains at Kenmore has fallen out of favor since then, but it can still be a way to have useful Watertown/Oak Sq service without overloading the Park St inner loop.
As it happens, I actually had a very similar conversation further upthread, about 3 years ago. (I hesitate to include the link because F-Line and I got pretty into it, and my views have changed somewhat since then, but.) And yes, the conclusion was the same: the inability to turn Comm Ave trains makes for a much bigger headache than one might first think.

I'm not sure I totally agree that the idea of (needing to) turn Comm Ave trains at Kenmore has fallen out of favor; at least for me, it's simply a limitation I've tried to work around, but with solutions that all have their own inelegancies.

But in any case, yes, a Kenmore North terminal makes an A much easier, and could even open the door to more services beyond that. And, it would give a method to short-turn the B, which would be a useful tool to have in the toolkit.

Ironically, I actually think a Kenmore North terminal can fit nicely into a "Initial Build/Next Gen" framework, where in the initial build it anchors a Grand Junction service, and in the Next Gen build the Grand Junction service gets rerouted down to Longwood, and Kenmore North takes on a new generation of streetcar lines, like the A.
An issue I have with making Kenmore the terminus of all circumferential routes in this area, though, is that it makes two important trips 2-seat rides (or 3-seat rides for subway riders further out):
  • RL North - Longwood (whether via the more convenient Harvard transfer, or the much more tedious Kendall transfer via GJ)
  • OL North - Longwood
Sullivan to Longwood Ave/Brookline Ave via East Somerville, BU Bridge and Kenmore is 5.23 mi (very very roughly), while Sullivan - North Station - LMA station - Longwood/Brookline is 5.41 mi with a cross-platform transfer. The former is a 3-seat ride for a Malden rider; the latter is a 2-seat-ride. Considering that both still include 10-min walk to get to Longwood-Brookline, the 3SR is simply not competitive at all.

While Harvard to LMA still wins in distance compared to a downtown transfer, the 3-seat ride alone (and its associated uncertainties due to frequency) may deter many riders from considering it. Also, at that point, improving bus connections from Kenmore to the doorsteps of the LMA hospitals may be more popular.
It's interesting -- I look at the near equal running distances of the "Gold Line" vs "Green + Orange" alignments, and say that it's shocking that a circumferential route could be so competitive and that we shouldn't try to force it to be competitive in a way that circumferential routes almost intrinsically can't be; you look at the same fact, and argue that, since it's already so close to being competitive, we should give it the best shot we can. I think that's a totally valid take, and I think I'd argue for your approach as the Next Gen build, and mine for the Initial Build.

(With regard to the Initial Build: I don't think a Grand Junction line will attract transfers from Red to Longwood; a Harvard Branch through Allston might, which is part of why I've tried to divorce the Harvard Branch from a Grand Junction line; and as alluded to above, I think it's a tall order to draw Orange North riders away from the cross-platform transfer at North Station.)
I personally think crossing under the Mass Pike itself doesn't seem like a big engineering problem. The Pike is a road, just like any other road that people propose tunneling under. You can theoretically even do C&C under it.
It may not be a big engineering problem, but I still think Kenmore North would be easier. (For one thing, a Mass Pike crossing will also need to underpin the Beacon St Subway, complexity not found at Kenmore North.)
I think I agree with Van here; I don't disagree with any of the points you've raised, but I don't think it needs to be part of the Initial Build.

1. F-Line. This is long overdue, but doing it first means you have to figure out the Bay Village problem decades before you build a lot of it. This can be accommodated in today's Green Line by running the B to Park Street.
2. West to Lechmere (Grand Junction LRT) as Kendall continues to boom and Beacon Park starts to redevelop. Could run to Brattle Loop or combine with the F.
3. Build the the northeast Urban Ring with service to the Logan terminals if you can get Massport to contribute a bunch of money instead of building their own APM (which they will probably want to do right around this time). Skip for now if they won't pay.*
4. Built extension from Newton Highlands to Needham. By this point, the NEC should be starting to get pressed for slots and it's time to bite the bullet and do it. Cut most Riverside cars back to Kenmore and have Needham take over most of the through-running. I don't like how little connectivity this has to Blue.

6. D-E connector and Huntington-Bay Village Subway. We've added on several appendages to the existing Green Line infrastructure and wrung the last drops of capacity it has out by short-turning various services. Now it's time, to @TheRatmeister's point to actually reconfigure the Green Line so it can realize increased service and bite the bullet with this megaproject. This subway is the crux of the whole thing, separating most of the modern LRT system from the historic tram system, with a transfer at Park Street
11. Kenmore to Nubian via Longwood (in whatever form that takes as we have discussed at length)
12. A-Branch rebuilding all the way to Watertown if there is a Kenmore slot left**
Really interesting first thoughts! I do think that D-E + Back Bay subway need to be in the initial build, though. More thoughts on this eventually!
*Can LRT and BRT coexist on the Chelsea Transitway? I know we've discussed the Seaport Transitway and why running LRT + BRT through here doesn't make sense, but I don't think I've seen this specific topic discussed and it seems like it might make more sense in Chelsea particularly given the higher speeds here.
Funny you mention this, I've been looking more askance at this lately -- for a while, I've just sorta assumed you'd do some interlining of LRT services from Sullivan and BRT services from Eastie and didn't look that closely at it. The crossing at Chelsea Creek in particular has me pausing -- if we're going to all this trouble to deinterline the Gold Line elsewhere in the system, why would we introduce the variability of a BRT service at the mercy of that crossing? Why not terminate both services at, e.g. the Chelsea Regional Rail station? Not saying I have a definite answer yet, but I've been thinking about it.
** I know @Riverside has proposed a SL57, but I don't really see how that would work. With LRT or BRT you have to fix Newton Corner. Tremont/Washington is easy. Going back to Watertown gets you a free optimally-placed yard too.
In full disclosure, I've proposed a SL57, but with almost zero special consideration. I think the idea was that it would run in the now-vacated reservation on Comm Ave, giving you sufficient justification for the SL label. But that's not particularly well thought-through at all.

Interesting question! Some first thoughts while I distract myself from my actual work:

I agree with @Riverside that Huntington-Bay Village is high priority, and I'd argue it's more important than NE Urban Ring and perhaps Grand Junction. Arguably, it can even be seen as the prerequisite for Nubian and Needham, not to mention Watertown.

The Central Subway is already at capacity, or it definitely was pre-Covid. The only way you can get functional Needham service is to through-run some of Riverside and/or Needham trains and/or terminate others at Kenmore, neither of which sound great (12-min frequencies outbound of Newton Highlands get ugly real quick in practice). Diverting the E to Pleasant St incline ASAP will be needed just to enable any additional branches through Kenmore at all.

While Nubian can be added without a capacity bottleneck on paper, it creates complicated merges at Boylston where the northbound B goes inner-to-inner, C/D/E(/N?) merge inner-to-outer and F goes outer-to-outer. Anyone who's familiar with the NYC subway will tell you how bad of an idea that is (and our GL will run higher tph than their Broadway lines). It's possible, but I doubt it will be sustainable for long. Of course, Huntington-Bay Village alone is insufficient at eliminating the inner-to-outer pattern, but at least it reduces the number of trains that do this (not to mention Copley Junction). And as you said, since the Nubian branch already has to involve Bay Village, might as well build part of it.

Funny you mention this, I've been looking more askance at this lately -- for a while, I've just sorta assumed you'd do some interlining of LRT services from Sullivan and BRT services from Eastie and didn't look that closely at it. The crossing at Chelsea Creek in particular has me pausing -- if we're going to all this trouble to deinterline the Gold Line elsewhere in the system, why would we introduce the variability of a BRT service at the mercy of that crossing? Why not terminate both services at, e.g. the Chelsea Regional Rail station? Not saying I have a definite answer yet, but I've been thinking about it.
One issue I have with the Chelsea RR station is that it's still quite far from downtown Chelsea and most of the density. Bellingham Square is still far from perfect, but at least it's much closer to the Chelsea City Hall area; likewise, Box District and Eastern Ave are both also adjacent to more homes. So I think there's still value in running LRT to Eastern Ave while overlapping BRT runs from Chelsea RR to Airport and South Station.

An elephant in the room regarding a NE Urban Ring that uses the Eastern Route is that its "Everett" station at Sweetser Circle is already "far" from Everett. In that aspect, I'm even worried that it will be a downgrade over the proposed SL6. So if it also doesn't serve the greatest density in Chelsea, its utility other than Encore will really become a big question.

In the event (or the far future) where there's enough political will to build a transit tunnel under the Chelsea Creek, it may be worthwhile to abandon the rail ROW and look at the following options:
Chelsea Creek crossing.png

The main idea is to have a station in Chelsea that's much closer to the city center.

While service to East Boston is a nice to have, I don't think it will be crucial. For residents there, going north to Chelsea, Everett and then south to Sullivan again is highly circuitous. I actually think most of its uses will be as a one-stop transfer to the Blue Line, or south to Seaport and South Station.

So perhaps something like this is more practical by serving more of Chelsea:
Chelsea Creek crossing 2.png

Another point I want to add regarding the "phased build" idea: One of the biggest challenges of GL Reconfiguration is that the three crucial individual pieces do not appear attractive as standalone projects, but are crucial to the puzzle as a whole. An outsider (even a transit fan not on this forum) may say this:
  • Huntington-Park subway alone: Why are you building a subway just to reroute the E, when it already works fine? Why need it when it parallels the Orange Line entirely?
  • D-E connector alone: What's the point when the trains will still feed into Copley anyway? Or even worse, why are you sending the D onto surface streets at Huntington (if a Huntington subway extension is not built but a D-E surface connector is)?
  • Seaport-Bay Village alone: Where would it even go (without the Huntington subway)? Why not do the Silver Line Phase 3 alignment via Essex that has been studied before? If it feeds into Park St, why can't people just take the Red Line instead of doing such a long detour down to Bay Village? And isn't there already not enough capacity on the Green Line system?
Each of their impacts won't even be noticed, much less recognized, without a view of the full picture. As standalone projects, I'm not sure if they can even pass a cost-benefit analysis.

This is a challenge that I'm still in the process of reasoning about, but I feel that thinking of some of these pieces as prerequisites, or at least companions, to the more obvious branched expansions may be a partial solution. If the capacity increases from a Huntington-BBY-Park subway is necessary for Needham to get an acceptable level of service, then people will appreciate the idea a lot more. (For this reason, it's definitely the most urgent of the three - even building it today, without any extra branches, allows capacity to be increased by 33% if the B is cut back to Park St, albeit with the merging issues.)

Last edited:
I mainly just think that if we have to wait on the Back Bay/Huntington Subway to do anything else with the Green Line we're going to be waiting a long time. I agree that the subway is critical, I just don't think has any remote chance of being built in the foreseeable future, unlike some of the other projects I mentioned. The only way I sort of see it working politically is if it's touted as a "whole new" LRT system in one package (e.g. Needham+Nubian+Subway) but that's extremely expensive.

• D-E connector alone: What's the point when the trains will still feed into Copley anyway? Or even worse, why are you sending the D onto surface streets at Huntington (if a Huntington subway extension is not built but a D-E surface connector is)?

I never really understood the point of D-E Connector without the Huntington Subway either. It doesn't seem like it really relieves the Copley Jct problem.
The only way I could see it panning out is to abandon the S Huntington section to accommodate a Needham extension, running Riverside trains via Huntington and Needham via Kenmore, but that seems like a really bad idea especially when it's really easy to cut Beacon or Riverside back to Kenmore with a same-platform transfer to continuing services.

“The Magenta Line: a 21st century subway line for a 21st century Boston, connecting the Seaport, South Station, Back Bay, and Longwood Medical Area”

EDIT: which, to his credit, is I think exactly how @The EGE has pitched this

EDIT2: I see @Teban54’s laugh react which, like, yes, I’m being glib, but my point is sincere: you market this by making it a single “Line” with a provocative catchphrase

Last edited:

Back