Green Line Reconfiguration

Very nice presentation, definitely captures the key ideas we've discussed here, and puts them in an accessible format. I sincerely hope that the transit cartography challenge brings much needed attention to the kind of upgrades the T requires and demonstrates that they are possible.

Here's my submission to the Transportation Dreams cartography challenge: A fantasy map dedicated to the Green Line Reconfiguration.

The image below has been compressed due to ArchBoston's limits on display of images. A version with higher resolution can be found here: View attachment 45838

I also want to use this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum who has contributed to the idea of Green Line Configuration over the almost 10 years. I truly feel it's one of the best transit proposals in Boston that I've seen, and yet the idea is so poorly known to the outside world, compared to analogous projects like NSRL and Urban Ring. That's why I made the map in the first place, as an effort to raise public awareness.

This is great, gets at so many of the underlying Green Line Reconfiguration concepts, and solves a lot of the routing challenges. You're also a far better graphic designer than I could ever aspire to be.

I'm curious what some of the hardest choices were to make when crayoning?

Very nice presentation, definitely captures the key ideas we've discussed here, and puts them in an accessible format. I sincerely hope that the transit cartography challenge brings much needed attention to the kind of upgrades the T requires and demonstrates that they are possible.
This is great, gets at so many of the underlying Green Line Reconfiguration concepts, and solves a lot of the routing challenges. You're also a far better graphic designer than I could ever aspire to be.
Thanks to you both! Funny enough, I never imagined myself to be a graphic designer before this, haha. Most of this was done with 4 (very concentrated) days of learning Adobe Illustrator in real action.

I'm curious what some of the hardest choices were to make when crayoning?
Do you mean in terms of route planning or illustration?

Route planning: Deciding which of these proposals are truly GLR concepts and which are more in Urban Ring territory. I made the executive decision not to propose a full-blown Urban Ring, because at that point it really doesn't have much to do with the Huntington and Tremont trunks. This meant I had to show northside F, G and H branches as radial routes, even though I don't think it's the best use of these corridors (and would not have drawn them as such in a full-blown fantasy map). However, I did try to hint at their eventual conversion to circumferential routes with their dashed lines. Although judging by the responses I got from Reddit, maybe people didn't fully grasp that idea.

Other choices include pair-matching for Riverside and Needham, how much service to give to Hyde Square, whether to include the modified SL1/3 (I didn't mostly due to a lack of time), whether and how to present the cross-LMA subway as an alternative D-E connector, and whether to put the Nubian subway/El (southside G) on the map at all.

Illustration: Honestly, deciding what components to put on the map and what not to subject to the time constraints. Even though the challenge was announced two months ago, I didn't really have time for it due to IRL matters until last Friday (though I did some preparation beforehand). There are several other add-ons that I would have put on the map but didn't get to: most importantly, a track diagram for Boylston-Park, but also things like a full route listing, some discussions on construction method and cost, and even aligning the station names more properly. Even the boxes at the bottom describing each extension weren't added until I was notified that the deadline had been extended by 5 hours.

There were certainly mistakes along the way. I even had a hard time deciding on the dimensions and bounding boxes for the map, which resulted in a last-minute effort to enlarge the map that kind of screwed up parts of my project files.

Although judging by the responses I got from Reddit, maybe people didn't fully grasp that idea.
l think the difference between "crazy but feasible" and "god mode" is lost on an audience like the MBTA subreddit. I think most of those folks would like Boston to be propelled straight into a Western Europe level of transit without thinking about all the intermediate steps that it'll actually take. Props to you for your thoughtful responses over there, though 🙂

Route planning: Deciding which of these proposals are truly GLR concepts and which are more in Urban Ring territory. I made the executive decision not to propose a full-blown Urban Ring, because at that point it really doesn't have much to do with the Huntington and Tremont trunks. This meant I had to show northside F, G and H branches as radial routes, even though I don't think it's the best use of these corridors (and would not have drawn them as such in a full-blown fantasy map). However, I did try to hint at their eventual conversion to circumferential routes with their dashed lines. Although judging by the responses I got from Reddit, maybe people didn't fully grasp that idea.

Green Line has been about radial services for 100+ years. The only reason Urban Ring gets combined into GLR is that it should share the same mode as Green Line and track in a handful of areas. GLR is mainly about providing radial connections to employment areas not considered when the original core tunnels were built and restoring radial connections to areas desperately in need of any rail transit service. Great job!

@Teban54 was a little faster on the draw for posting, but I too used the occasion of the contest to make a couple of GLR-related maps.

The first is a system diagram, intending to evoke the iconic Cambridge Seven spider map -- but now the spider has a web, if you will. The folder the file lived in was called "Project Electric Sheep" (since the contest was called "Transportation Dreams", and androids dream of electric sheep, etc etc):

Project Electric Sheep System Diagram v9.0.png

(The submitted version was slightly different from this one, but I'm not super concerned.)

This diagram is, in some ways, meant to be "fun" (in a way that crayon maps are supposed to be). There isn't a specific date tied to this map, and it neither represents a "preferred build" nor a "full build" nor a "must build". Rather, it's a vision of one possible future.

Teban54 and I chatted about our maps as we planned them, and so I decided to make this diagram larger in scope than his, meaning it includes full-out Urban Ring services, a T7/T111 BRT line, a Franklin Park LRT line, and numerous plus-one heavy rail extensions. I'll probably post more about this particular diagram in either Crazy Transit Pitches and/or Fantasy T Maps (Fantasy T Maps post here), because in some ways that's more of the spirit of this diagram: while it does absolutely represent what the system-wide impact of GLR can be, it is also, tonally, a fantasy map at heart. And I'm fine with that -- imagination is a key part of planning.

That being said, as we have hashed out in great detail, everything on this map should be feasible. The only areas of particular question are the G's subway/viaduct/something along I-93 (north of the BU Medical Center stop), and the Franklin Park LRT; in general, I think the G should be feasible, but it definitely still needs more refinement as a proposal; the Franklin Park LRT should be feasible from an engineering perspective, but I think there are real political questions about whether such a line is desired or desirable by the community. (I included it in part because I did want to visualize some sort of enhancement for Dorchester -- try to give all communities a share of the fantasy.)

~~~

With a fantasy map in one hand, I wanted to also create something more "brass tacks" for the Green Line Reconfiguration, in particular the key projects needed in the core to make a map like mine or Teban54's possible. I wanted something that was simple, clear, and as marketable as I could make it -- something that I could imagine the Boston Globe printing. And to that end, I wanted a simple name. Which brings us to: the Gold Line.

Project Gold Line v2.3.png

The map largely speaks for itself (with such ample annotations I admit that it pushes the definition of "map").

One benefit in particular for me about this process was that it allowed me to really hone in on the most specific things I would advocate for. In this case, and largely in this order: 1) Reroute E to Tremont, 2 and 3) Build the subway to Seaport, and Bury the E, and 4) D-E Connector.

If I had 5 minutes with Maura Healey, that is the vision I would sell her on.

One of the things that finally "clicked" for me about these core pieces is that it's about allowing the existing infrastructure to live up to its full potential. The point of the subway to the Seaport isn't about building a connector between South Station and Back Bay -- it's about using this perfectly good subway in the Seaport for way more than we do now. Likewise with the Tremont Street Subway and the Boylston Street Subway -- these focused projects allow those existing pieces to sing, running at their best.

That's why I believe these projects punch above their weight; they aren't merely extensions, but also supercharge the pieces we already have.

~~~

I want to be very clear that I see my maps very much as sibling pieces to Teban54's. My Gold Line map very deliberately simplifies things. We need a simple version of this if we want it to go anywhere. His map provides a detailed buildout that illustrates both the logistic details as well as some of the broader possibilities -- we need that too. And then I see my "Electric Sheep" map as something that is fun to look at, factually illustrative of one universe of possibilities, and maybe a point of inspiration; maybe we don't, strictly speaking, "need" this, but I certainly like having it.

~~~

I also want to share that I have added a new section on my website. In some ways, this was my approach to adding the detail that Teban54 put directly into the map. But in case, this is where, in the coming weeks and months, I plan to continue to build out consolidated proposals for each section of the Green Line Reconfiguration. I'm of course happy to take contributions (with credit!) from anyone who would like to create something.

I'm super excited that this contest is affording us a potential opportunity to bring the GLR vision to a wider audience. I see these maps as a first step, with hopefully more to come.

~~~

Finally: I also want to share that I cited and thanked ArchBoston heavily in my technical statements that accompanied these submissions. Those statements read, in part:

Over the last decade, an ongoing discussion on ArchBoston has examined ways to remake the Green Line into a better version of itself. These discussions have been wide-ranging, at times ruthless in pragmatism, and equally unbound in imagination....

Drawing heavily on discussions I’ve participated in on ArchBoston, I have sought to generate a vision for Boston transit that is both inspiring and feasible. ...

and

This map would not have been possible without the years of collaborative discussion at ArchBoston. Much of my thought process in developing this map is documented there, and some proposals are also documented on my website (ever a work in progress).

This project has literally been a decade in the making. And you all made it happen. That is incredibly cool. Thank you.

Last edited:
Here's my submission to the Transportation Dreams cartography challenge: A fantasy map dedicated to the Green Line Reconfiguration.

The image below has been compressed due to ArchBoston's limits on display of images. A version with higher resolution can be found here: View attachment 45838

I also want to use this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum who has contributed to the idea of Green Line Configuration over the almost 10 years. I truly feel it's one of the best transit proposals in Boston that I've seen, and yet the idea is so poorly known to the outside world, compared to analogous projects like NSRL and Urban Ring. That's why I made the map in the first place, as an effort to raise public awareness.

View attachment 45840
I want to heap on some additional words of praise for this: this is effing awesome. It excellently captures the larger scope of the possibilities afforded by GLR, while at the same time getting down into the logistical details needed to make it happen. It encapsulates literally years of discussions into a single image, and it's gorgeous to look at. It gets a big round of applause from me.
Route planning: Deciding which of these proposals are truly GLR concepts and which are more in Urban Ring territory. I made the executive decision not to propose a full-blown Urban Ring, because at that point it really doesn't have much to do with the Huntington and Tremont trunks. This meant I had to show northside F, G and H branches as radial routes, even though I don't think it's the best use of these corridors (and would not have drawn them as such in a full-blown fantasy map). However, I did try to hint at their eventual conversion to circumferential routes with their dashed lines.
This was probably the biggest philosophical difference you and I had during this process. Particularly with respect to the northside, I don't really see GLR and the Urban Ring as being distinct; the southside, I agree, certainly does seem "out of scope", and it gets fuzzy in the Harvard <> Ruggles quadrant. That all being said, I think with the level of detail you included on this map, it's good that you drew the line (no pun intended) somewhere, in order to keep the visual somewhat tractable and the proposal slightly less overwhelming.
Although judging by the responses I got from Reddit, maybe people didn't fully grasp that idea
LMAO, never change, Reddit, never change. I commend you for trying to engage with those replies in good faith, but also agree with @kdmc -- for the sake of your sanity, I hope you will only engage so much with all that :)

@Teban54 I'm particularly interested in the stretch of Magenta between South Station and Bay Village. How feasible is that particular alignment? Is that a flyover, or does it use exisiting CR tracks? I presume it's not a tunnel under the South Bay interchange.

I thought I remembered you and others hashing this out way upthread, but I can't find it, so if you just want to link me back to an old discussion feel free 🙂

(Merry Christmas folks!)

@Teban54 I'm particularly interested in the stretch of Magenta between South Station and Bay Village. How feasible is that particular alignment? Is that a flyover, or does it use exisiting CR tracks? I presume it's not a tunnel under the South Bay interchange.

I thought I remembered you and others hashing this out way upthread, but I can't find it, so if you just want to link me back to an old discussion feel free 🙂

(Merry Christmas folks!)
To clarify, the Bay Village Magenta station is actually under Marginal Rd, not Mass Pike. While I imagine you can do cut and cover under the Pike, putting it on Marginal reduces temporary disruptions during construction.

I myself imagine the route will look like this:
Bay Village - South Station.png

@F-Line to Dudley has mentioned that the section of Essex St from Seaport Transitway westward to Essex/Surface has been "cleanroomed" as provisions for Silver Line Phase III (and that continuing south on Atlantic Ave is infeasible as the tunnel is sandwiched between northbound Big Dig and surface roads). The trickiest part will be tunneling under the southbound Big Dig - utilities may not be a big concern, as utility mapping has been done in 1965, but the construction itself may be a hassle.

As for others' opinions, both @Riverside and @F-Line to Dudley seem to favor going up Hudson St and only merging to alongside the Big Dig at Chinatown Gate:
I'm not sure about tunneling under Hudson St, though, especially for the north-south segment of Hudson St which is narrow and abuts tall buildings. My measurements on Google Maps show the street is 40 ft wide between buildings at One Greenway (25 ft excluding sidewalks, and even narrower north of Kneeland), despite F-Line saying (in the post linked above) that the alignment maintains 50 ft width throughout.

Either way, this is one of the trickiest parts of the project, for sure. (The other possible engineering challenges I see are Back Bay station and D-E Connector's river crossing.)

^ Beat me to it. Yes, Hudson St is on my list of “Things To Review In Greater Detail And Write A Consolidated Summary Of”, and I agree is the part that is probably the trickiest; it should be possible but may be complicated.

There was a lot of discussion on this several years back. I will try to find those soon (probably not today on Christmas though, lol).

I found a few more F-Line posts on the Hudson St segment (I'm still looking, so I may update this comment later).

This comment from January 2014, especially this followup - seemingly before One Greenway was constructed - seems to imply that tunneling beneath Surface Rd at the same elevation as the Pike ramp is not doable. However, at that time F-Line insisted that Hudson St near One Greenway will have at least 50 ft of clearance, because of a "promenade" for the building on the Hudson St side. Even in another (very detailed) comment in February 2016, he made the same assumption that tunneling under Hudson south of Kneeland won't be a problem, and was more concerned about north of Kneeland.

However, I don't think those assumptions are realistic now that One Greenway has been built:
1703532354317.png

1703532461412.png

(Street view link)

While the sidewalk at the parking garage is rather spacious - as F-Line predicted - the section north of it up to Kneeland is not, and that's the part abutting two 15+ story buildings. Today, there's no doubt that tunneling south of Kneeland is more of a problem than north of Kneeland.

So yeah, that throws a big wrench into things.

There could still be solutions - perhaps a two-level tunnel for this part of Hudson? Or, as I initially suggested, a tunnel below the Big Dig and its ramps? (I have no idea about its feasibility - in theory you'd expect cut and cover to be feasible, but getting the equipment down there is a question, not to mention political challenges.)

Either way, I think F-Line's initial point still stands: Regardless of how complicated this section is, it's much much better than the alternative Transitway extension via SL Phase III, which involves tunneling the entire length of Essex St under conditions like the one above (plus underpinning Chinatown and Boylston stations).

The BPDA finalized their Seaport Strategic plan yesterday, which recommends an Essex St tunnel (pg 24) but conveniently leaves out any specifics on where that tunnel should surface:
Provide grade separation of the Silver Line under D Street and extend the Silver Line tunnel from South Station to connect to the Washington Street/Nubian
Square Service.
(That whole document is interesting, although IMO it reads as a collection of reasonable-to-crazy pitches rather than a plan).

The BPDA finalized their Seaport Strategic plan yesterday, which recommends an Essex St tunnel (pg 24) but conveniently leaves out any specifics on where that tunnel should surface:

(That whole document is interesting, although IMO it reads as a collection of reasonable-to-crazy pitches rather than a plan).
1703955773570.png

BDPA just can't let it go can they...

More seriously, this feels like a strange and somewhat eclectic collection of transit pitches ranging from: "Why aren't we already doing this" like bikesharing, the Summer St corridor, and pedestrian priority, to: "Sure but like, why" like the NSRL but only for Newburyport/Rockport Trains or BRT line to Charlestown of all places, to "Are you guys crackheads?" like the RL branch or (Briefly mentioned) monorail. (And then there's the Red-Blue connector, which is good, but also why are we talking about this that's a separate issue)

The "connect to the Washington Street/Nubian Square Service" part makes me feel they were still referring to the (terrible) SL Phase III idea. Can't blame them, as SL Phase III was officially and extensively studied, while connecting the Seaport Transitway to the Green Line system is not.
BRT line to Charlestown of all places
The "why" for this is that the BNRD proposed T7 to through-run from Sullivan/Charlestown to City Point via the "downtown transit corridor" (with dedicated bus lanes) and Summer St. It's actually a very good proposal, enhancing connectivity in both Seaport and the more traditional downtown Boston on top of benefitting neighborhoods at both ends. It gives Seaport a connection to the Green and Orange lines, North Station, and a likely faster transfer to the Blue Line. In other words, it's less about Charlestown and more about the intermediate route.

Such a corridor can also be used eventually to absorb other bus routes and/or convert them to BRT, most notably the T111, and possibly a route to Everett via Rutherford. (Everett residents seemed more in favor of Kendall over a connection to Haymarket without bus priority downtown, but perhaps OSR beyond Haymarket and dedicated lanes will change things).

Last edited:
The "connect to the Washington Street/Nubian Square Service" part makes me feel they were still referring to the (terrible) SL Phase III idea. Can't blame them, as SL Phase III was officially and extensively studied, while connecting the Seaport Transitway to the Green Line system is not.

They were definitely referring to SL Phase III (they mentioned one-seat rides from Roxbury to the Seaport/Airport as a project benefit). One imagines no one there knows just why that (indeed terrible) project died (or the reasons Washington St. transit and the Seaport service were shotgun-married by political fiat in the first place, resulting in the Hindenburg of a project that was Phase III).

Of course, Phase III being extensively studied should have told them it was impossible; them including it suggests they lazily saw that it had been studied and even more lazily didn't read the studies (or even just F-Line's cliffs notes versions in a few of these threads).

More seriously, this feels like a strange and somewhat eclectic collection of transit pitches ranging from: "Why aren't we already doing this" like bikesharing, the Summer St corridor, and pedestrian priority, to: "Sure but like, why" like the NSRL but only for Newburyport/Rockport Trains or BRT line to Charlestown of all places, to "Are you guys crackheads?" like the RL branch or (Briefly mentioned) monorail. (And then there's the Red-Blue connector, which is good, but also why are we talking about this that's a separate issue)

To be clear, the RL branch and monorail (as well as the gondola and back bay <-> seaport rail) are specifically *not* recommended projects. They are included in the list of projects that were evaluated as part of the study, but the study is not "pitching" them. Projects like these get included because they're projects that people writ large still talk about, even if enthusiasts and professionals are already aware of the significant flaws. At the end of the day, enthusiasts and professionals are decision influencers, not decision makers. The people who are decision makers, and other decision influencers (like a certain business leader), still talk about these things. It's as important to disprove these in formal documents to get ahead of the Berkowitzs fighting sensible implementations with "well you haven't even given my gondola idea a fair shake!"

That being said, I do blame them for recommending the Essex Street tunnel. As @Teban54 and Brattle said, it's been extensively studied, and we've been down this road. That extensive studying should at the very least have led to a recommendation of "explore alternative connection routes for the Silver Line Way Tunnel". A study on green line integration that gives us a good analysis on the Stuart/Kneeland Street versus Marginal/Hudson routings would be incredibly valuable. To my original point, include Essex in there as well.

EDIT: I think the biggest thing this plan suffers from is Seaport blinders. Yes, it's a Seaport focused plan, but it seems like any sense of a holistic transportation system for the city/region was thrown out the window. Track 61 service from old colony and fairmount, as well as the cross harbor tunnel, only make sense if your absolute only focus and objective is improve transportation options to the seaport, everything else being irrelevant.

Last edited:
...It's as important to disprove these in formal documents to get ahead of the Berkowitzs fighting sensible implementations with "well you haven't even given my gondola idea a fair shake!"

But if they were really being inclusive, A to Z, then they would have gotten to Zeppelins and Zip-lines to disprove as well. This surface level effort will not stand up to scrutiny.

I found in the link below from a North-South Rail Link study the image below which shows the location of the underground Silverline line tunnel (MBTA South Boston Piers Transitway) as it ends under Atlantic Avenue. I do not know if it shows a fairly accurate depiction of the tunnel or is more diagrammatic. As discussed in earlier posts the Silverline Phase 3 was going to turn down Essex, but this plan seems to indicate it could be possible to slip under the train tracks going into South Station and then head towards Marginal Street or portal out on Atlantic Avenue with LRT connecting to the Greenline (Gold line:). This could be done as part of the proposed South Station expansion into the USPS location.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/chapter-5/download

Further below is a photo I have found of the Silverline turn around under Atlantic Ave.
south station.jpg
Realtime_Structural_Monitoring_of_Silver_Line_(2).jpg

Attachments

• Realtime_Structural_Monitoring_of_Silver_Line_(2).jpg
    Realtime_Structural_Monitoring_of_Silver_Line_(2).jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 16

Back