Green Line Type 10 Procurement

The T has officially announced that Option 3 was the winning choice. That said, the written description doesn't quite match up with the render - a turquoise running stripe? I rather think that'd clash quite badly.
View attachment 43624
I think it's *turquoise green*. A bit odd, but makes more sense than straight turquoise.

The T has officially announced that Option 3 was the winning choice. That said, the written description doesn't quite match up with the render - a turquoise running stripe? I rather think that'd clash quite badly.
View attachment 43624

I think they're just calling that color turquoise in that one case, for some reason.

View attachment 43624
I would have to describe this as "aggressively fine". It's fine. Inoffensive. Unsurprising. Nothing wrong, nothing good. I felt this way about all the options, honestly. Nothing wrong with any of them. No real reason to want any of them either. As a designer by trade, perhaps disappointing. Then again, the benefits of some new green line trains really outweigh however I may feel about the lackluster paint schemes.

Just read this article & it said that they WILL make a life-size mock-up for all to see and try out to get thoughts & opinions on it!!! Hopefully, it will be on display at City Hall Plaza where the new Red & Orange Line mock-up cars were on display. :)

I will be interested in seeing how they handle the E Line street running stop sign requirements.

I will be interested in seeing how they handle the E Line street running stop sign requirements.
Will they, though? The MBTA (with the City of Boston) have been planning/redesigning past Brigham Circle and South Huntington to include a dedicated transit ROW. From what I recall, the MBTA cited the Type 10 procurement for this project - if there is a a dedicated ROW, out to Heath St., then the need for stop signs on the E is moot.

Is that project funded? I don’t think I’ll take the wager on which comes first: Type 10 or E Line rework. Given the fare validation hack on the GLX, I would expect the T to be gaming out the possibility of keeping a fleet of Type 7s to satisfy the E line.

Is that project funded? I don’t think I’ll take the wager on which comes first: Type 10 or E Line rework. Given the fare validation hack on the GLX, I would expect the T to be gaming out the possibility of keeping a fleet of Type 7s to satisfy the E line.
They can't do that for accessibility reasons though. The solution right now is that Type 7s are always paired with Type 8s, but we all know that nobody wants to keep the Type 8s around.

Latest I could find on the proposals was from 2021, although I swear I have seen something more recently suggesting it was moving forward.

It is funny, though, I was thinking of adding a bit on my comment about the CharlieCard 2.0 and GLX debacle and how well that didn't work out. The Type-10s are still years away, though, and are going to require significant infra upgrades anyways (including I believe the loop at Heath, and then raising all the platforms on the E), so, it's not like there isn't a ton of other dependencies on actually getting them running.

Latest I could find on the proposals was from 2021, although I swear I have seen something more recently suggesting it was moving forward.

It is funny, though, I was thinking of adding a bit on my comment about the CharlieCard 2.0 and GLX debacle and how well that didn't work out. The Type-10s are still years away, though, and are going to require significant infra upgrades anyways (including I believe the loop at Heath, and then raising all the platforms on the E), so, it's not like there isn't a ton of other dependencies on actually getting them running.
Do the platforms need to be raised for the Type 10s to operate? I was under the impression that they need to be raised to get the full level boarding accessibility benefit but is there anything stopping the Type 10s from running on a line before all platforms get raised? I would think raising all the central tunnel platforms would be quite the production

They can't do that for accessibility reasons though. The solution right now is that Type 7s are always paired with Type 8s, but we all know that nobody wants to keep the Type 8s around.

Especially since they haven't had a mid-life redo!! Anyone who has ridden in one of these would know that the lighting has gone somewhat dimmed & that they are in dire need of a redo, but I guess that the T more than likely won't spend the dough for them, so I think that they are just keeping them alive by doing normal maintenance checks on them to make sure that they are running until the new Type 10 super-trolleys get here. :unsure:

Last edited:
Do the platforms need to be raised for the Type 10s to operate? I was under the impression that they need to be raised to get the full level boarding accessibility benefit but is there anything stopping the Type 10s from running on a line before all platforms get raised? I would think raising all the central tunnel platforms would be quite the production
There's no physical constraints on any lines to the T10's operating. All of the system can take single cars. There's still some work to do before all lines can take 2-car Type 10 trains, mostly on the B and C. On the E it's only Heath inner loop that's too short (the outer loop should be able to snugly fit a deuce set), so that's the only station that would need to have touches before the full-capacity 2-car runs happen.

Full level boarding requires 10-inch platforms, +2 inches from the 8-inch platforms at current ADA'd stops. While that is a big production, the cars will be ADA-compliant for the 8-inch platforms just as the Type 8's/9's are. The 10-inch level boarding is simply a higher-than-ADA accessibility standard eliminating most need for using bridge plate assists on the boarding (which slows down overall boarding).

There's no physical constraints on any lines to the T10's operating. All of the system can take single cars. There's still some work to do before all lines can take 2-car Type 10 trains, mostly on the B and C. On the E it's only Heath inner loop that's too short (the outer loop should be able to snugly fit a deuce set), so that's the only station that would need to have touches before the full-capacity 2-car runs happen.

Full level boarding requires 10-inch platforms, +2 inches from the 8-inch platforms at current ADA'd stops. While that is a big production, the cars will be ADA-compliant for the 8-inch platforms just as the Type 8's/9's are. The 10-inch level boarding is simply a higher-than-ADA accessibility standard eliminating most need for using bridge plate assists on the boarding (which slows down overall boarding).

I think that it would be better for the trains to have short extending ramps that would come out onto the platforms when the doors open, then retract back into their bodies when the doors close. Like the automatically extending stairs on the new Amtrak Airo passenger cars when put into service with sensors that would indicate when they are closed. :)

Isn’t it 14 inches for full level boarding?

Last edited:
Not totally sure if the Hynes Station has any slightly raised platforms yet, but I think that they WILL get them soon, since they ARE booked for a complete redo of the station. :)

Good critique of the Type 10 design and American transit car design in general by RMTransit. I would think this kind of change would need to be demanded by the riding public, as it seems like agencies would be less inclined to changing the general maintenance procedures of their vehicles.

Good critique of the Type 10 design and American transit car design in general by RMTransit. I would think this kind of change would need to be demanded by the riding public, as it seems like agencies would be less inclined to changing the general maintenance procedures of their vehicles.
Do agree in general on American transit, and I actually agree with a lot of this vs. the new Red and Orange Line cars. That said... not sure I can really get into a Type-10 critique since, unless I have missed some renders, we don't even really know what the interiors will be (vs. just frame-less windows on the exterior). But, yeah, that entire thing hit pretty hard on the Orange and Red and how dated they already are.

Lol knew I wasnt the only one who noticed this. Its so bad Reese had to make an entire video about it. I definitely agree with him that if were getting brand new trains they should look brand new. Were spending a lot of money on these cars and the outward appearance says a lot about how serious a metro is. If it looked dated and old on day 1 it really sends the message that the transit agency is not serious about high quality service whether thats true or not. Whether we ever get there, the goal should be always be striving to create one of the top tier metro systems in the world.

Back