Greenway Residential Building | 55 India Street | Downtown

stellarfun

Reaction score
I don't believe there is yet a separate thread for this parcel at India St and the Greenway.

06161455indiarendering.jpg

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/06/44_luxury_condos_eyed_for_greenway

Re: Rose Kennedy Greenway

This will not impact the Littlest Bar or the Times, right?

Not directly, this parcel is now a small surface parking lot.

It's about time something was done with this eyesore of a lot. This will even enhance the outdoor atmosphere at The Times. It looks like a good development for this block.

Hopefully it has good ground level to bridge the gap between Littlest/Times and Granary. The Greenway is slowly becoming more of a street and less of a thruway. Fingers crossed, the trend continues.

Great news. This stretch of the Greenway is really starting to pull together nicely.

No parking?!? Get a good grip on those pearls folks! Armageddon is coming

What neighborhood group would complain here? North End? Bullfinch?

The two North End groups technically include all the way down to Rowes Wharf as the "Waterfront" component of the North End Waterfront Residents Association and North End Waterfront Neighborhood Council. They also consistently talk about breaking off, but I guess they figure they don't have the numbers just yet. I'd assume complaints would come from them.

Edit to fix the spelling Bob points out. Even if it wasn't THAT spelling! LOL

Last edited:

Granary Tavern has also been really helpful to this stretch, replacing the blank Greenway stub-end of the long brick Milk Street building.

This segment of the Greenway has a shot at being a real city boulevard. What also helps this stretch - Armenian Garden down to High Street/International Place - is that there are no highway ramps. Street is still too wide and traffic still too fast, but this segment nonetheless has a nice coherence. Redeveloping the Harbor Garage will really cement the success of the Greenway in this area.

This segment of the Greenway has a shot at being a real city boulevard. What also helps this stretch - Armenian Garden down to High Street/International Place - is that there are no highway ramps. Street is still too wide and traffic still too fast, but this segment nonetheless has a nice coherence.

Are cycle tracks (separated) planned for the length of the Greenway? I know they are supposed to be put in further down Atlantic Ave, closer to the Garden, but putting them along the whole stretch could cut back on car travel lanes and-- maybe-- slow down traffic, at least a little.

I heard that original plans during the Big Dig for this stretch of the Greenway were to be 5 travel lanes in each direction before push-back knocked it down to 3.

Can you imagine that?

Got two questions about this project (I suppose this could be knocked over into the Town Cove project page): firstly, the PNF seems to deal mostly with the one building. Are there plans for getting the second building up? And secondly, a page of the PNF marks out the "commemorative paving" on the site that used to be India Wharf. Is that region being altered, or are they really trying to argue that a three-lane Greenway cut-through is some sort of historic place?

Don't get me wrong, though, this project is very cool.

Ground level:

vgti.jpg

1st floor:

kyes2.jpg

2nd floor:

iial.jpg

Typical residential floor:

cm5hy.jpg

Top floor:

o7oz0.jpg

The area in 1814:

ww69.jpg

rfsr.jpg

oeof.jpg

7xl0.jpg

8zqo.jpg

pzy1.jpg

9xnb.jpg

lx8j.jpg

z8xf0.jpg

s7hu.jpg

I wish it was taller but it's a good addition.

I never thought I w/c/should ever say, but the size seems just right. I've been working down there for 3 years and loving the landscape in that area. The Aquarium Garage development should be towering, but this is OK.

55 India St. l Greenway

Approved building at 55 India St. with no parking

55india.jpg

The BRA board yesterday approved a proposed 44-unit residential building at what has been a parking lot since the 1950s at 55 India St.

Boston Residential Development LLC would build the small tower with no parking spaces, citing its location to public transit and the small size of the lot - although the company says it will try to obtain spaces for tenants in nearby parking garages. Nine of the units would have three bedrooms, the rest one or two.

The developer is also proposing 4,000 square feet of first-floor commercial space.

Construction could begin by March and take 16 months.

Back