Greenway Residential Building | 55 India Street | Downtown

Re: 55 India St. l Greenway

To be clear: this is in addition to the Town Cove project, right? Not the same thing? Town Cove fills out the corner between Broad and the Greenway, this is corner of Franklin and India?

Grrr, that was the cheapest lot in the city to park when going out, provided you got there in time. Also, I feel like this could be a little bit taller by about 5 floors.

I like that it is just shorter than the castle next door.

10171455indiastreet.jpg

From the Herald

this would be a great addition to the city. hope it goes beyond planning phases

It's back:

Tim Logan said:
Development firm Boston Residential Group closed Wednesday on a $12.7 million deal to buy a triangle-shaped parcel where India Street meets the Greenway, along with 30 spaces in a nearby garage. The site’s been a patch of asphalt since the 1950s, though its prior owner received city permits in 2014 for a 12-story condominium project that never came to fruition.
But now it’s time to build, Boston Residential CEO Curtis Kemeny said. He’s planning a 12-story building, with 30 units, with about 71,000 square feet in all. Because that’s what the existing permits call for, the project will need only minimal additional approvals from the city, Kemeny said. That means he can break ground next summer, with a goal of opening the building in 2022.

^ My guess is that the new developer doesn't have updated renders yet.

I found the original design a mishmash of styles that altogether lacked character. I hope this is a second chance at some better architecture on such a visible lot.

This corner has changed since the original - 2014 View
1573834364207.png

2018 Added "Boulevard Boston"
1573834775870.png

This will fill in the corner. I hope they do an "Uber Dropoff" curb inlet. It still sucks to bike here with all the bike lanes blocked constantly.
1573834381753.png

My memory of the most recent renders were much better than this.
i don't remember it being so ugly.

Tremont on the Common is ~285' wide.
This will be about 110' wide.
Why not just build a contemporary version of the 1910's like such was accomplished at Lovejoy Wharf, instead of gawdy trim and outcroppings?
Why do so many architects do a fantastic job building things that work with the nearby structures and neighborhood, and others who treat their surroundings with disdain?

Last edited:
Heres the render above in focus, plus a few that werent shared + the rest from the project site.

I think itll look better in person than the renders, them seem to be kinda low quality, especially on that masonry wall.

V00_from-rowes_1010-688x1032.png

V02_From-south_1010.png

v10_ext-04.png

v08A_looking-at-rest_v2_0922.png

V08B_photo_v2.png

Link

Room along the Greenway for about a dozen of buildings of that size -- 12 to 15 stories right along the Greenway is appropriate for the width of the strip

There is one exception -- the City lot right against the North End -- that lot [about an acre] should be developed into a small group of buildings [lower toward the North End] and perhaps a "Statement Building" right on the Greenway

Back