Griffin Center @ Mass College of Pharmacy | 662 Huntington Avenue | Mission Hill

Re: Mass College of Pharmacy

http://www.mapjunction.com/places/Open_BRA/cgi-view/rest.pl?t=14469&p=21372

Until the MassART tower was built that park lead to a bridge, which has been missing the entire time I've lived in the city, into the Fens. The park was recently rennovated rather nicely, but for some reason the missing bridge has never been replaced. Perhaps the institutions don't want their students cutting across what they consider a dangerous park?

Are you saying that the entire block between St. Alphonsus Street and Worthington Street was once a park? (I don't see how else it would have gotten down to Tremont.)

A couple things about that map:

- You can see in dashed lines where the culverts to divert the Stony Brook river/stream run under Forsyth St into the Fens.

- The area south of Wentworth, which was once projects and is now the New Projects, was almost entirely wood frame row houses except for a block of stone townhouses. All the wood frame houses were ripped down but the brick townhouses remain to this day.

- John Keith posted a thread asking where Madison Square was. You can clearly see it on this map.

- This area is probably second to the West End/Gov't Center in terms of damage by urban renewal.

Edit: Oh fucking cooooool! Look due east of Dudley Sq and you can actually see a few blocks that are outlined in a red line and the word "Project" written inside it (the black lines are the new streets which are present today). This is where the term 'Red Lining' came from, or more accurately it came from banks outlining areas where they wouldn't give mortgages to, but these areas soon became places for urban renewal.

Last edited:

Yes, I looked at the link, which was an old map showing the park extending to Huntington and Longwood Aves. But how was the park supposed to continue to Tremont Street?

I apologize Ron, that is my mistake. I meant to say Huntington.

I'm hosing everyone down on this board. High tension, all around!!

Remember this one? The ground level is pretty bad but boy is it sharp looking.

9697184956_e86ea5c24a_b.jpg

9693954385_426f0724c2_b.jpg

9697180344_219e199985_b.jpg

I don't miss waking up in the morning, walking in to the living room and having a crowd of MCPHS students in class staring at me.

It's definitely a neat little building though.

Back