Griffin Center @ Mass College of Pharmacy | 662 Huntington Avenue | Mission Hill

Re: Mass College of Pharmacy

10/31:

img1243uh3.jpg

img1246kl3.jpg

img1247tt3.jpg

And the triangular parcel Wentworth bought looks like it's to become a parking lot:

img1248ia5.jpg

I like this building a lot.

And speaking of a lot, I wish WIT had built something on those triangular lots but I understand the need for parking especially since they are building on another one of their parking lots.

They should just build a multi-story parking garage, retail on the ground floor, and wrap it in a veneer of offices and classrooms.

^ Something tells me that it would seem like an unnecessary use of their budget (the rent's not exactly going to cover the cost of putting up something like that).

The Mass Pharmacy building is quite handsome, though. Add it to the catalogue of buildings that exemplify the "new Boston style"?

1/17:

img4855ae6.jpg

img4857lx0.jpg

Communicating:

img4856ff6.jpg

img4859ul8.jpg

View down Worthington Street:

img4860el8.jpg

img4861vu8.jpg

img4862gb6.jpg

img4864fg5.jpg

Money shot:

img4866gr6.jpg

And a random shot of its charming neighbors:

img4865fx1.jpg

Very nice. I like the brick work at the base, the different shapes of the windows, the fact that the windows are vertical elements and not horizontal. It fits in nicely. Now who do we talk to about tearing down the brutalist monstrosity across the street?

About the triangular plot at Ruggles and Huntington (where the gas station used to be), I figured it'd become a parking lot, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this:

img7147gi4.jpg

img7148jh8.jpg

The first pic isn't loading.

This is really nice. I would have liked to have seen a new building here but given that there was a gas station before it probably was too much of a bother to clean up the land for construction.

Hm.

This could be so much better. Pity.

The many fenestration variations are out of proportion in relation to the overall size of the building. Too big and too flat pieces of glass along with too many of the narrow slits which totally diminish any power that the corner windows could provide. Trying too much and too hard.

Only obsessing here because Boston and its environs, including cities all the way up to Lowell and down to New Bedford, will and should be building many infill structures of this ilk. Time to learn from this mistake.

^Boston could use more mistakes like this.

I'd rather the triangle have become a parking lot. As a park, it's a sacred cow that will never be developable.

dscn1771.jpg

dscn1772.jpg

Also, is this part of the school, or MassArt? I dunno..

dscn1770i.jpg

dscn1769j.jpg

That is their campus center? Why have they let it look like s*** for so long?

Well... hence the renovation. Personally I'm waiting for the day when they rip down that hideous black tower of theirs.

I love the MA College of Pharma building. Just a really good job all around.

At some point the MassART tower should be demolished and the bisected corner of the Tremont Street Entrance to the Fens restored.

"bisected corner of the Tremont Street Entrance to the Fens restored"

can you elaborate on that?

I don't understand, either -- Tremont St ends at Brigham Circle which is nowhere near the Fens.

Sigh. You'd think an art school would hire a somewhat sophisticated designer for such a relatively high profile project on their campus, or at the very least one with enough sense to turn the edge lines off before they export their shiteous sketchup renderings.

Back