Grounding the McGrath

Ruairi

Reaction score
It does need a diet but it's also shockingly badly maintained, the weed and garbage covered median, the broken street lights, derelict lots that dot the sides. From Highland to Mystic is like something from a developing country. MassDOT don't give a crap about these secondary roads they are supposed to manage.
It took about 3 months to get them to put a gate in to the new Foss park fence where a crosswalk went to nowhere.
They inspire no confidence.

dhawkins

Reaction score
It does need a diet but it's also shockingly badly maintained, the weed and garbage covered median, the broken street lights, derelict lots that dot the sides. From Highland to Mystic is like something from a developing country. MassDOT don't give a crap about these secondary roads they are supposed to manage.
It took about 3 months to get them to put a gate in to the new Foss park fence where a crosswalk went to nowhere.
There is an opening, show them how its done! (sarcasm)
Highway Operations Internship

Mass Dept of Transportation
Boston, MA

Equilibria

Reaction score
I would note that it's not MassDOT's job to maintain the derelict lots. The road itself is in basically the same shape as any other minor urban highway in the US.

Ruairi

Reaction score
I would note that it's not MassDOT's job to maintain the derelict lots. The road itself is in basically the same shape as any other minor urban highway in the US.
yea, I know but part of the reason these lots are empty is due to the mess of a road they front on to. It doesn't encourage development.
Yea, they're a mess. I'm not even sure why they're not managed by cities who receive state funding.
Let MassDOT run the interstates or what ever.
'Cant turn the water on at the foss park splash pad because it's under state control' is a stupid sentence I hear every year.
I'm coming across as grumpy here but sometimes the lack of co-ordination between groups like MassDOT, the MBTA and cities is really frustrating and leads to projects that take decades and get tied up in bureaucracy while existing infrastructure rots.

Equilibria

Reaction score
yea, I know but part of the reason these lots are empty is due to the mess of a road they front on to. It doesn't encourage development.
Yea, they're a mess. I'm not even sure why they're not managed by cities who receive state funding.
Let MassDOT run the interstates or what ever.
'Cant turn the water on at the foss park splash pad because it's under state control' is a stupid sentence I hear every year.
I'm coming across as grumpy here but sometimes the lack of co-ordination between groups like MassDOT, the MBTA and cities is really frustrating and leads to projects that take decades and get tied up in bureaucracy while existing infrastructure rots.
You have a point, but the benefit of having this owned by the State is that when it's time to ground it, there's a lot more money available.