Grounding the McGrath

Cool. Bring on the heavier traffic. Remove the city-blighting rusted hulks of overpasses, narrow the damned highway, put in some roundabouts, and starve the traffic. Somerville, or any city for that matter, isn't just a paved parking lot for suburbanites to trample over to get to work, it's a city with people and neighborhoods. Take down all these hulking, rotten relics from the 1950's: McGrath, Bowker and Casey. They make no sense in the real world of today, and it is confounding that MassDot seems hellbent on propping up these hemorrhaging dinosaurs from an age long gone.

Charlie -- you are living in a retro 19th Century -- a number of innovative people in Detroit and other places have figured out how to mass produce for the masses the automobile -- its all about FREEDOM

Cool. Bring on the heavier traffic. Remove the city-blighting rusted hulks of overpasses, narrow the damned highway, put in some roundabouts, and starve the traffic. Somerville, or any city for that matter, isn't just a paved parking lot for suburbanites to trample over to get to work, it's a city with people and neighborhoods. Take down all these hulking, rotten relics from the 1950's: McGrath, Bowker and Casey. They make no sense in the real world of today, and it is confounding that MassDot seems hellbent on propping up these hemorrhaging dinosaurs from an age long gone.

While narrows roads should certainly be praised, those roads should still move as efficiently as possible. If that means a four-way intersection, then go with that, not an intentionally nightmare-inducing rotary. Rotaries also aren't fun for anyone, especially bikes.

The automobile isn't about freedom, it's about being a slave to a machine.

Also, can I make a note: let's not confuse roundabouts and rotaries. They're different things. Roundabouts don't have signals or stop signs, and they shouldn't have more than one lane going around. They're friendly because they get traffic to move at a constant, slow rate, so none of that stop-and-go that frustrates drivers, and none of that high-speed, high-stakes racing that kills pedestrians and creates T-bone accidents. They don't fit everywhere, however, and are not always appropriate.

Charlie -- you are living in a retro 19th Century -- a number of innovative people in Detroit and other places have figured out how to mass produce for the masses the automobile -- its all about FREEDOM

We're talking about a fundamental, transformational change here; a paradigm shift. Does the inner part of the Boston metro area want to be transit oriented with smart development and livable neighborhoods, or just sliced, diced and trampled over by elevated expressways? Take your pick.

We're talking about a fundamental, transformational change here; a paradigm shift. Does the inner part of the Boston metro area want to be transit oriented with smart development and livable neighborhoods, or just sliced, diced and trampled over by elevated expressways? Take your pick.

Elevated expressways with plenty of bridges opens up more housing to him though.:rolleyes:

Another issue at stake with the current McGrath Highway/expressway particularly is that it severs the human-scale/pedestrian scale connectivity of the adjoining neighborhoods. There are also large areas of cleared old factory sites that have fallen prey to large parking lots and low density uses (shopping centers, etc.). Rebuilding the McGrath into just another suburban type multi-lane highway will not encourage high density development of these empty/underused sprawl areas around the highway.

This area needs to be redeveloped as a pedestrian friendly, high density set of connected neighborhoods, anchored by a community oriented, human-scaled landscaped boulevard. The two proposed branches of the Green Line Extension (GLX) will fit perfectly into this type of road downsizing and high density development. Also, the downsizing of McGrath would probably encourage some commuters to take the new GLX or other transit rather than drive.

It's also quite literally got declining volumes. Ever since Leverett Connector opened and the Big Dig was finished a large chunk of McGrath traffic outright disappeared and started using 93 like it was supposed to all along. There is perpetually a lot of hand-wringing about whether induced demand truly exists and hedging on the side of caution and capacity over fears of a carpocalypse should something get torn down. Lots and lots of that form of concern-trolling on the Bowker and Casey.

Well...here's the one example where there is fairly ironclad proof that its peak volumes of old WERE induced demand. It's that much more clear-cut than it is with the Casey Overpass. It is the whole way up to Wellington Circle where Fellsway hardly has any traffic on its 6 lanes between 93 and 16. I would still say it's carrying too much induced demand given the amount of truck traffic that blasts right on through without stopping in the neighborhoods. So not only have they barely begun to rein in the induced demand, but relatively simple fixes can siphon off a lot of the malingerers treating Somerville as flyover country en route to locking up Lechmere Sq. and Leverett Circle. Such as declogging the 93/Mystic Ave. exits clusterfuck and completing the 16 interchange in Medford; too much traffic to/from 16 is still taking the Fellsway shortcut to avoid the retarded ramp setup at Exits 29-31. Fix those problems and another order of magnitude comes off the McGrath and Mystic Ave. asphalt.

There's also one on Longwood Ave, but I didn't even know they had a specific name. I ride on the one along Longwood all the time, but I actually think it's mostly useless since it doesn't offer much more than sharrows and nobody seems to actually know how it works.

Addendum: to provide a concrete example of why bike priority lanes aren't great, I got honked at and then passed dangerously on my left (there was only one lane each way) while riding in one recently. The driver failed to realize it was a "bike lane". I really don't want to cut the driver any slack, but to be a bit fair, it's probably hard to see the lane markings given how dark it gets this time of year. Maybe it would get better if this becomes a common road feature, but I'm skeptical.

Nothing justifies that behavior by the driver, bike lane or not.

Addendum: to provide a concrete example of why bike priority lanes aren't great, I got honked at and then passed dangerously on my left (there was only one lane each way) while riding in one recently. The driver failed to realize it was a "bike lane". I really don't want to cut the driver any slack, but to be a bit fair, it's probably hard to see the lane markings given how dark it gets this time of year. Maybe it would get better if this becomes a common road feature, but I'm skeptical.

Nothing justifies that behavior by the driver, bike lane or not.

Yeah, you had every right to the full lane regardless of bike markings. If you can get over safely and let him pass you should do it, but if you had any reservations (ie parked cars, road hazards etc) than it's tough shit for the driver and his behavior should be prosecuted as threatening assault with a deadly weapon (or reckless driving at the least imo). I do realize we have a long way to go before we get to the point where such behavior is called out and shut down.

Another issue at stake with the current McGrath Highway/expressway particularly is that it severs the human-scale/pedestrian scale connectivity of the adjoining neighborhoods. There are also large areas of cleared old factory sites that have fallen prey to large parking lots and low density uses (shopping centers, etc.). Rebuilding the McGrath into just another suburban type multi-lane highway will not encourage high density development of these empty/underused sprawl areas around the highway.

This area needs to be redeveloped as a pedestrian friendly, high density set of connected neighborhoods, anchored by a community oriented, human-scaled landscaped boulevard. The two proposed branches of the Green Line Extension (GLX) will fit perfectly into this type of road downsizing and high density development. Also, the downsizing of McGrath would probably encourage some commuters to take the new GLX or other transit rather than drive.

Charlie -- "Jawohl mein Kommandant" -- take away other options and people will be encouraged to take the one you want

Let's take it to the ultimate --1) Boston is the walking city ... 20 walking helps with overall health of the population ..3) noise is a major health concern -- 40 the T and Highways are noisy l

So -- let's shut down the T and the highways and everyone will be encouraged to walk

Turn off the elevators to save energy [going Green] and everyone will be encouraged to walk up the many flights of stairs in the Pru, Hancock, Millennium Tower, etc...

Yeah, you had every right to the full lane regardless of bike markings. If you can get over safely and let him pass you should do it, but if you had any reservations (ie parked cars, road hazards etc) than it's tough shit for the driver and his behavior should be prosecuted as threatening assault with a deadly weapon (or reckless driving at the least imo). I do realize we have a long way to go before we get to the point where such behavior is called out and shut down.

Pixel -- I'd be happy to see the driver who cuts off a bike prosecuted

However, I'd also like to see prosecution of the bike blasting through a red light and nearly causing a major accident among cars forced to maneuver to protect his sorry arse from Newton [mechanics not the town or cookie]

I'm also incensed by though not ready to see the police unleashed on the collection of Saturday morning bikers re-enacting the peloton during the most recent stage of the Tour -- 3 bikes side by side is intolerable except for on some remote country lane

However, I'd also like to see prosecution of the bike blasting through a red light and nearly causing a major accident among cars forced to maneuver to protect his sorry arse from Newton [mechanics not the town or cookie]

Depends. Blasting through a redlight full speed should absolutely be prosecuted, but I don't have a problem with cyclists who proceed cautiously through them. A lot of people think "they are vehicles they should follow the same laws as cars" but the reality is that bikes have better visibility and maneuverability and can't cause the same damage cars can, thus they really should have different laws applied to them. It's usually safer to run a redlight after stopping to ensure there is no cross traffic than it is to wait for the light cycle and cross with other cars (often turning into your path). One should follow the law when they can but safety and common sense should come first.

The other stuff about riding 3 abreast I agree with and don't get me started on that critical mass garbage, though this is getting off topic and probably belongs in the cycling thread.

*emphasis mine
• Public Comments. A preference for further
reduction of vehicular capacity
, and an exploration
of a Boulevard option with four travel lanes (two in
each direction)
. Many participants expressed this
preference, and it is the comment that would have
the greatest effect on the overall design and function
of the preferred alternative, and is discussed further
below.
• MassDOT Response. It is understandable that the
Grounding McGrath study participants favor an
alternative that emphasizes minimizing local impacts.
MassDOT, however, must also consider the impacts
of the corridor design on roadway users in all modes.
While MassDOT feels that the Six-Lane Boulevard
Alternative was developed, refined, and analyzed
as a design approach that appropriately balances
regional mobility with multi-modal accessibility and
neighborhood livability, MassDOT is willing to give
consideration to a four-lane design for the McGrath
corridor
, as discussed further below. A four-lane
design may result in reduced motor vehicle demand
and volumes in the corridor; however, this would be
due to increased congestion and delay, which would
also be experienced by residents of neighborhoods
abutting the corridor.

They also refuse to acknowledge the preference for it to be reclassified as a local roadway vs an arterial, despite the report stating that the majority of trips are using it for local access to Somerville and Cambridge and not through travel into Boston.

The remaining footprint of the thing is also going to be used for yet more useless greenspace instead of being redeveloped, and there is no parallel parking. So we're getting another Melnea Cass. Fucking wonderful.

Matt, when does the public comment period expire?

*emphasis mine

They also refuse to acknowledge the preference for it to be reclassified as a local roadway vs an arterial, despite the report stating that the majority of trips are using it for local access to Somerville and Cambridge and not through travel into Boston.

The remaining footprint of the thing is also going to be used for yet more useless greenspace instead of being redeveloped, and there is no parallel parking. So we're getting another Melnea Cass. Fucking wonderful.

Matt, when does the public comment period expire?

The fact that we have a recommendation for a 6-lane boulevard and we can now fight for 4-lanes isn't so bad. Better than the alternatives.

I also wouldn't worry too much about all the greenspace they painted in. The narrow stretches that will be hard to develop probably ought be just sidewalks and trees. The larger areas around Washington street will almost certainly be developed eventually.

And there is parallel parking.

The Grounding McGrath Study draft report is being released for a 30-day public comment period, and we will be accepting comments through January 7th, 2014. Please submit your comments to ethan.britland@state.ma.us or mail to:

Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Office of Transportation Planning
Re: Grounding McGrath Study Comments
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4150
Boston, MA 02116

From what I hear, STEP is encouraging everyone and anyone to submit comments.

Need more people to remind MassDOT that they aren't doing anyone any favors by expanding the replacement roadway to 6 lanes. Their passive-aggressive response was pretty lame.

Back