Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
Members are encouraged to nominate an existing building, park or piece of infrastructure in the Boston area that they believe makes a positive, integral contribution to the built environment. These deserve special recognition and possess attributes worthy of emulation in future projects.

There will be possibly be three* new inductees.

Previous inductees:

Faneuil Hall Market Place
The Ames Building
West End's Last Tenement

South Station
Boston Public Library (McKim Building)
Trinity Church

Design Research Building
Custom House
Comm. Ave. Mall

New John Hancock
Christian Science Center
Rowes Wharf

*In the past we've inducted three new Hall of Fame entries each year. It may be time to cut that number to two or even one, depending on your feedback.

Post Office Square
- Halvorson Design Partnership, 1992

2565929964_9de9d929d2.jpg

1118_post-office-sq_485x340.jpg

Strikes me that we don't have jewels like the Old and current State Houses on here. For shame! I nominate both. Why not throw in the Park Street Church, too? It ties together many a vista.

And the Old New South Church (the other one at Copley), for sure.

Acorn Street? It's quintessential Boston.

I'll nominate Freeman Square in Brookline, the most successful pocket park I've ever seen. Worth emulation ten times over and it doesn't take up much more space then an average intersection.

I'll second the Old Hancock.

Here are some pretty traditional nominations:

JFK Library
Fenway Park

The Citgo Sign:
667949024.jpg

And for a more untraditional nominee, this house:
667319189.jpg

I'll nominate Freeman Square in Brookline, the most successful pocket park I've ever seen. Worth emulation ten times over and it doesn't take up much more space then an average intersection.

Freeman Square would have to be nominated alongside its kindred spirit, Dwight Square. Identical twins, separated at birth, living just a block apart their whole lives without ever laying eyes on each other.

Other nominations:
Bunker Hill Monument
North End Skinny House

I still think there should be a rule something like "nominations must have been completed at least 10 years ago" to keep knee jerk reactions to projects from ending up here.

After saying that, here are my perennial nominations:
*the Public Gardens lagoon bridge (worlds smallest suspension bridge)
*That amazing old building just to the right of Cambridge City hall (no idea what it i called)
*Kresge Auditorium

P.S. I think Statler is prepared to destroy ArchBoston with his bare hands if the Winthrop Building doesn't make it this year.

Castle Island + Pleasure Bay (as one single item, combined)

Ok I have 2 nominations:
-The esplanade/hatch shell
-My absolute favorite place, the riverwalk on memorial drive the overlooks the Boston skyline, not sure if there is an official name for it

+2 .I think POS is nominated every year. This might finally be it!

I think "POS" is the most unflattering abbreviation for a great public space such as it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back