Harriet Tubman House | 566 Columbus Avenue | South End

1654277702112.png

Yea the depth and detailing of the brickwork is looking top notch.

It is like the Zakim Bridge in that it is not particularly original but it is the right structure for that specific place

Something I hadnt noticed at first is that the part of the building in the center of this picture is being made to look like its a separate structure filling in the gap between this and the row house on the left. With it being set back from the rest of the structure to align with the row house on the left, having bay windows behind the scaffolding, and also the mansard roof, its going to give the impression that its a separate row house. Thats a high quality way to break up the massing here.

Looking at the other side theyre doing the same thing here too. The brick pattern is different and the roof height matches the building on the right.

Finally this corner is also made to look like its a separate building, especially with the roofs designed to look like theyre built up to the lot line of the building next door. So when the whole structure is completed, it should give off the impression that its 4 different buildings, I hadnt realized that until now. With them all using the same brick its probably not going to be 100% convincing, but hopefully as the building ages it will be moreso. Either way designing this to look like 4 different avg south end buildings is a winning strategy.
2837_photo.jpg

Last edited:
Exquisite. I'm late to this project, but am I correct in understanding that all of the brick masonry on this building is hand-laid? Every surface lot in the region should be replaced with this exact design. Can't wait to see it in person.

Back