Harriet Tubman House | 566 Columbus Avenue | South End

Exquisite. I'm late to this project, but am I correct in understanding that all of the brick masonry on this building is hand-laid? Every surface lot in the region should be replaced with this exact design. Can't wait to see it in person.

Yes. They were hand laid. Almost as nice as what they did with the Bolling building in Roxbury.

I couldn’t fathom taking out a mortgage to live in a stick built condo.

7B70D5D3-6A2E-485F-9449-BA161D29259B.jpeg

450911D4-5839-4402-BEED-2C6BCB22897F.jpeg

0E90A6DE-77F9-471D-B794-614389B3F119.jpeg

Was that townhouse in the middle of the shot 2nd over from the left built relatively recently? It kinda reminds me of the henry in fenway, but probably 15 years older, it looks really good.
1674083587845.png

I really like these new buildings that dont necessarily copy the historic style, but take a lot of cues and blend in extremely well, like this new project at tubman house does.

Minor quibble: I wish the grey vinyl siding up top was limestone colored.

This is the best infill project since Hayward Place.

I think 691 Mass Ave is great too. These three well done contemporary projects have helped fix a historic streetwall that was conspiculously gap-toothed.

I really hope that when mass ave is inevitably developed beyond boston medical center that these type of appropriate brick additions are used to extend the street wall all the way to dorchester.

I haven't walked by this one recently, but based on pictures the brick looks GREAT(!!!!!) while the black siding and top seems cheap and dull, especially in direct comparison. For me the non-brick sections look bad enough that I'd put this in the "good, but completely overrated by the rest of archboston" category.

I haven't walked by this one recently, but based on pictures the brick looks GREAT(!!!!!) while the black siding and top seems cheap and dull, especially in direct comparison. For me the non-brick sections look bad enough that I'd put this in the "good, but completely overrated by the rest of archboston" category.
I can see this point, but to me it's a nice modern touch that nevertheless plays off the slate roofs on the abutting townhomes. I think it's better with the cladding complementing the brick.

Wow. I think this looks GREAT, and it should become the gold standard for contextual infill projects. You can clearly see in Smuttynose's first picture the relationship of the black siding on top to the mansard roofs of the townhouses fronting Mass Avenue. I really like the black siding.

Back