Harvard - Allston Campus

There are no buses on Western Ave.? They might wind up getting better transit anyway if the university builds a trolley or whatever it's currently thinking of to Harvard Sq.
I think there is to be some sort of Harvard shuttle, which the Allstonites want to ride gratis. Barry's Corner is about 250 yards to the east.

There is to be 454 parking spaces (400 apartments) so little expectation that public transit is going to be transportation mode of choice.

The PNF lists 3 MBTA bus routes running along Western Ave.

Last edited:
This was such a great opportunity to have some interesting, modern housing that also fit into the neighborhood (something out of the Netherlands). But no, even if NIMBYs wouldn't have shot them down there is enough of a fear that they will that architects don't even try. This is why we can't have nice things.

There is to be 454 parking spaces (400 apartments) so little expectation that public transit is going to be transportation mode of choice.

Doesn't the current Charlesview complex have the same amount of parking, though?

This was such a great opportunity to have some interesting, modern housing that also fit into the neighborhood (something out of the Netherlands). But no, even if NIMBYs wouldn't have shot them down there is enough of a fear that they will that architects don't even try. This is why we can't have nice things.

Why here in particular? This is a systemic failure in Boston. Even the actual Harvard campus will hardly be inspired. The best we can hope for is that the boring architecture our local NIMBY culture so deserves will reproduce the best qualities of urban Boston. In other words, at least it's not Kendall/Seaport "urbanism". I'm surprised this city can even pull off decent streetscapes anymore (as it will here and in Assembly Sq.) after seeing what a wreck the waterfront has become.

^^^ The current Charlesview has 213 units, don't know how many parking spaces. Of the 213 units, 200 were/are (originally?) Section 8. In 2004, apparently 170 were Section 8 subsidized, and 43 were market-rate. I think a multi-car household wouldn't help qualify somebody for subsidized housing.

In the new Charlesview, there will be 282 rental units (affordable) which include all 213 units of the current Charlesview, and 118 condos, some affordable, some market rate.

I think one needs to temper whatever wishes and hopes one might have for landmark architecture when you are dealing with a housing complex that is 75+ percent subsidized housing.

More about the 400 unit building, courtesy B&T.

Plans for 400-Unit Allston Development Filed
By Thomas Grillo
Reporter

A crumbling apartment complex in Boston?s Allston neighborhood could become a mixed-income development with pedestrian connections to the Charles River.

The Community Builders (TCB) of Boston filed plans on Wednesday with the Boston Redevelopment Authority for Charlesview. Under the proposal, the 213-unit Charlesview Apartments at Western Avenue and North Harvard Street would be razed and replaced on two nearby sites with 282 affordable units and 118 condominiums.

Last year, Charlesview?s board of directors and Harvard University agreed to a land swap that allows construction of the new apartment community on a 7-acre parcel that the school owns on Western Avenue a half-mile from the 37-year-old apartment complex in Barry?s Corner.

If approved, TCB would build housing on parcels owned by the university. The first is a 6-acre parcel on a portion of the underutilized Brighton Mills Shopping Plaza on the south side of Western Avenue. The developer plans five 4- to 6-story buildings and five 4-story townhouses. A nearby parcel on Telford Street would provide affordable and market-rate condominiums in four 10-story buildings.

Harvard has not filed plans for reuse the old Charlesview site.

Charlesview and Harvard agreed that the deterioration of the apartment complex and the chronic failure of its systems led to a decision that a reconstruction of the apartments is necessary to maintain the viability of the housing into the future.

Paul Berkeley, president of the Allston Civic Association, said he is concerned that the project may include too many units and the buildings are too high. ?We sent a clear message to Harvard that we don?t want buildings more than 5 stories and now this developer comes along and wants to build 10,? he said. ?We?re also worried that doubling the number of units at Charlesview is too dense for this neighborhood. People are looking to trim it. But overall, people are okay with the land swap.?

Source: Banker & Tradesman (subscription required)

A crumbling apartment complex

I hope the new Charlesview is built with better construction quality than the current one, then. There is no excuse for any building to be "crumbling" after only 37 years.

(I'm posting this from an apartment building that opened in 1929.)

They (Harvard and the general contractor, Turner) haven't officially started construction yet; I guess this qualifies as site preparation.

From Western Ave. looking east and south (into the sun). The first of the slurry wall is going in along here:

The first picture is near the western boundary of the site, the VW dealership. (The dealership land is owned by Harvard.)
western_av_west_end.jpg

Looking east toward the old WGBH HQ building in the distance.
western_ave_lookingeast.jpg

The 'wall' near the VW dealership on Western Ave. More 'wall' later.
wall_west-end_westernave.jpg

From the southeast side of the site, southwest of the old WGBH HQ. This is Windom St.
windom_st-kookingnorth.jpg

Two other views from Windom St.
windom_looking-NW.jpg

windom_st_NW-view.jpg

Another view, from further south on Windom.
windom_st_W-view.jpg

From Seattle St. looking North. Charlesvierw (on Western Ave. in the far distance.
seattle_st-N-vu.jpg

Another view from Seattle St. The beige-yellow building in the center, leased by Comcast, was just cut in two, with the eastern half demolished. (Harvard owns the whole building, but doesn't the western half just yet.) The nearby buildings in frameview are within the construction zone, and will probably soon get demolished as well.
seattle_st.jpg

As part of the construction mitigation, Harvard agreed to build a fence, or is it a wall? to shield the residences along Windom St. from Harvard-owned property to the east. This property is largely trucking terminals, no construction is going on there, nor will there be for years and years. It could be that Harvard intends using the land beyond the wall as a construction staging area and for construction worker parking. (There are already perhaps several dozen trailers with pre-cast slabs for some other Boston area construction project parked on the east side of Windom St., which was and remains a trucking and warehouse area.) I understand that there will be landscaping put in once Spring arrives. This is one long and one high fence, it looks higher than the Berlin Wall, but not as high as the Great Wall. I'm guessing it may stretch 700 feet. The design was apparently worked out with the abutting property owners.

Start of the wall, north end on Windom, looking east
fence_start.jpg

A section of the middle wall.
fence_middle.jpg

The southern end of the wall at Cambridge St. A large warehouse building that was on the other side of the wall was demolished.
fence_end.jpg

In looking at Harvard's construction mitigation site this morning, there is a notice that demolition of the Harvard-owned and Harvard-occupied building at 175 N. Harvard St. is about to start. This building is across from the Charlesview and is used by Harvard transportation services, and looks to have been built in relatively recent times. This part of Harvard's Allston landholdings is supposed to become the site of new indoor athletic facilities.

Harvard is also doing interior demolition of the old WGBH HQ building on the south side of Western Ave. And there is a notice that the science complex mockups will be installed in the building at 125 Western Ave, which was once also part of WGBH.

The neighbors are not happy with the new Charlesview.

Project fails to impress
By Andreae Downs, Globe Correspondent | March 2, 2008

Too dense, too high, too many rentals, not enough family housing. Not to mention boring retail areas and not enough open space.

It's d?j? vu all over again.

The neighborhood's issues with the plans for a new Charlesview Apartments development at Brighton Mills sound very similar to complaints about the initial plans developers presented last year.

Perhaps that has to do with the similarity of the current proposal, which was filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority Feb. 5.

"What's striking is that it's basically unchanged from what they proposed last year," said David McNair, a neighbor who said he has attended every meeting on the proposal.

Felicia Jacques, a spokeswoman for the developer, Community Builders Inc., said the nonprofit is constrained by the 6.9-acre size of the site, obtained from Harvard University in a swap for the development's current 4.5-acre locale, and by the project's finances.

"Harvard has offered what Harvard has offered," she said. The developer hopes to start building in six months.

She added that the current proposal does respond to some of the earlier concerns voiced by residents. A health center has been replaced with shops; circulation patterns have been improved and parking spaces added; open space has been increased to just over half of the site, and front doors now face neighbors' front doors.

All that's well and good, say neighbors, but still . . .

"The main issue is that the project could be so much better in just about every aspect," said Harry Mattison, a resident and community blogger. "It could be the best thing that ever happened to a neighborhood. Harvard has the expertise and the land, but I see no indication of a desire to seize this opportunity."

Harvard spokesman Kevin McCluskey said the project is out of Harvard's hands. The school, he said, "worked very cooperatively . . . to reach an agreement to ensure that the aging Charlesview Apartments will be replaced by modern units."

Activists aren't buying that.

"Harvard has moral and ethical complicity in this," said Tim McHale, who lives on nearby Holton Street . "I want them to come back to the table for more land. You just can't shoehorn this in and expect us to be happy."
Although the new site is somewhat larger than the old, the number of apartments has almost doubled, from 213 in the current development to 400 in the proposed one.

"It's essentially much higher density, much closer to the neighborhood," said Paul Berkeley, president of the Allston Civic Association. "The height of the buildings and density are twice as much as what zoning allows."

But Jacques said the developer is merely responding to the neighborhood. "We understand that there's a demand for more affordable housing in the neighborhood," she said.

Residents also object to the developers' grouping of all the federally subsidized rental units on the south side of Western Avenue and all the homeownership and market-rate condos on the north side, nearer the Charles River.

"With this project, we will have 500 low-income units just along Everett Street," said McNair, who has lived on nearby Bagnal Street for the last decade. "There will be two separate areas, low-income and Harvard."
Jacques said the project's financing and subsidies make it difficult to mix affordable and market-rate units.

Mattison also cited the lack of room for families in the proposal. New apartments include 44 new units with one bedroom, 126 with two, 17 with three, and none with four. "It's 10 small, not family-friendly units to every one big enough for a family," he said. "it really needs to be flipped around."

Another resident request is for more homeownership, since Allston, at 21 percent, has one of the lowest owner-occupancy rates in the city.

"Why add a single new rental unit to the neighborhood?" Mattison asked.

Some 118 of the new units are for sale, not rental, noted Jacques.

Neighbors stressed that they support relocating the current tenants of Charlesview into better apartments in the community. They also welcome the development of the now mostly vacant shopping center.

"It's a good idea to move Charlesview," said Ray Mellone, who chairs the Harvard Allston Task Force. "I'm just not sure this is the best way to handle it."

The BRA will hold two meetings, on March 10 and 24, for public comment on the proposal. The comment period ends March 31, according to BRA spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/03/02/project_fails_to_impress/

From the various comments, it seems that the only point of universal agreement would be to replace the existing number of Charlesview units with the same number of units. Anything beyond that, somebody will raise an objection to.

As I read the underlying coda:
Too much density = too many additional lower income units
No more rentals = no additional lower income households

As for seeking more 4 bedroom units, I assume this was intended to be for the condo buildings. (There are 41 4 bedroom units to be built, to replace the like number of units in the current Charlesview.) But if you build larger condo units, you won't reduce the density although you would reduce the number of households. (A total of 17 new three bedroom units and 60 replacement three bedroom units would be built. Nearly 30 percent of the units at the new Charlesview would be 3 or 4 bedroom.)

Allston Neighbors said:
Too dense, too high, too many rentals, not enough family housing. Not to mention boring retail areas and not enough open space.

This area is a barren industrial wasteland and it isn't part of your "neighborhood'" BTW, your "neighborhood" sucks. But don't let that stop you from juicing Harvard for all they're worth.

Maybe the university should just pick up and leave this whole backward region all together. You know, so we can preserve the crappy character of our neighborhoods.

Hi Stellarfun,

Too much density just means too much density. Our neighborhood has 30 people per acre. Charlesview proposes 150 people per acre. The amount of parkland proposed (<1 acre) is insufficient for 1000 people (on average the City has 7 acres of parkland for every 1000 residents). Putting 4-6 story buildings across the street from 2-3 story buildings is not integration with the existing neighborhood. There is a lot of under-utilized land around here and if more of it was used a better result might be possible. With better public transportation it would be a lot easier to feel that much higher density could work.

No more rentals just means no more rentals. We already have one of the lowest homeownership ratios in Greater Boston and high turnover in our population. New development can help stabilize and improve the community if it maximizes opportunities for homeownership.

As you noted, the proposal is for the majority of this development to be subsidized low-income housing. The community is not trying to get rid of subsidized housing. A true mix of low-income, median income, and market rate housing is what is being built all over the country and yields the best outcomes for everyone.

Briv - why waste your life spewing such negativity? What do you think you are accomplishing.

Briv - why waste your life spewing such negativity? What do you think you are accomplishing.

I dont think it's negativity. I'd like to see Harvard create the vital place Allston has been unable to create in many decades.

Besides chastising the big university, has the Allston "community" come up with any compelling ideas? Nah.

Maybe you would prefer an Ikea?

Hahhhhhhvaaaad has an opportunity to work with the City, the T, and the Pike to create an ideal research / academic village to show MIT and Singapore, KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology being constructed from scratch on the edge of the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia), etc. how it ought to have been or should be in the future done.

Looking forward fifty years ? Haaaahhhvaaahd -- should insure that there is great connectivity to the rest of the Boston / Cambridge ? including if necessary the funding of the design and even part of the construction of a new T-line

Hahhhhhhvaaaad has an opportunity to build a place where post-docs, junior and perhaps even some senior professors and senior corporate research types would want to both work in the labs and commercialization centers and live. There should be housing variety -- everything from townhomes on South-End- scale to some towers with hotel rooms, extended stay and condos ? but all within easy walking distance of the labs and commercialization spin-out / incubation centers. These folks want to be able to pop-over to the lab on a whim in the middle of the night or work from sun-rise to next sun-rise and crash across the street (have done both a few times). This concept of integrating the work and living environment would be far superior to the way Cambridge Center / Kendall has developed over the past two decades -- all work some play but until very recently very little residential.

An Alston Academic / Research and Commercialization Village populated 24/7 with residents and global visitors with sophisticated tastes would upgrade the amenities for all the neighborhood residents (both the old and the new) and over the decades would eventually lead to upgrades to the privately owned residences and businesses on the fringes. HAAAHHHHHVAAAAD has a once-in-a-new Century opportunity with the Haaaaaahhhhvaaaahhhd SKWAAAAH for the 21st Century to do it right -- Will they?

Unfortuantely -- They have to fight with both:
1) NIMBYs in the neighborhood (who don't want any buildings whose occupants can see over the height of the fence ?tops)
2) and Haaaahhhvaaaaahhhhd's own insular and highly feudal Faculty of Ahhhhts and Sciences who don't see the opportunity and benefit of moving from Cambridge and starting over with a clean-sheet design

Oh well it is Haaaaahhhvaaad after all -- soa hundred years from now we can look back at the site and see how it worked out ? or wait a few more centuries and the next onslaught of the Ice Age will erase all traces of it anyway!

Westy

Westy, I appreciate your posts, but your Boston-accented-phonetics get a bit old. Substance is king, friend.

Instead of these vague "you are a NIMBY" attacks and telling people their neighborhood "sucks", how about having a constructive and respectful discussion?

There are a lot of compelling ideas in the North Allston Strategic Framework for Planning and Harvard's Allston Life Task Force report. Many other specific ideas have been suggested about how arts, science, and other aspects of Harvard's expansion could integrate into an existing community for the benefit of many.

I agree completely that "I'd like to see Harvard create the vital place Allston has been unable to create in many decades". A goal more like Harvard Sq than the Business School Campus would be a good start. A community where people with and without Harvard affiliations live side-by-side, send their kids to the same schools and daycares, eat at the same restaurants, etc. would support that vitality.

Briv

a Good point about my use of the phony accentuation -- I do it for a point -- but I tend to get carried away from time to time with my own "cleverness"?

However I will also note that some of the verbiage that is used by some post-ers from time to time to embellishment to the content {e.g. "street talk"} -- is somewhat over done as well

Westy

PS: going back into my hibernation phase for the next work cycle

Back