Harvard - Allston Campus

What specifically are these cranes being used for at this point? I've seen the overall Allston plan but have no idea what they're currently doing.
The cranes are being used to construct the subterranean garage and utilities area for Science Complex I, four interconnected buildings. They will stop at ground level, leaving a large concrete slab, until such time that Harvard decides to build the buildings themselves. The garage will hold 350 cars.

The Complex was originally estimated to cost $1 billion, though final cost, with the delay, is now anyone's guess. How much Harvard spends on just getting the site to ground level probably depends on how much of the utility infrastructure they will install as they construct.

The Science Complex looks to be third on Harvard's list of construction priorities: first is the current renovation/expansion of the Fogg Art Museum (several hundred million dollars), second is the renovation of the residential houses along and north of Memorial Drive (perhaps $100+ million a year over 10 years), third is the Science Complex.

This is setting a terrible precedent for workingwith communities...

Is that actually disappointing? This new plan weaves together the entire area with a much more cohesive street network to boot. While lower density than original plans I've seen, it actually seems more contextual for this particular neighborhood...

Am I missing something?

Maybe it's just the way its rendered, but i find the massing of this:

3683109086_2eef1fd7c7.jpg

much more appealing than this:
3683109214_6e68fa0dee.jpg

I actually think the new designs are better. I hate those bar buildings, even when they decorate them up to look suburban. While I am for more density I think the way they were going to do it would have been the standard suburban condo way, which I hate.

charlesview before on the left, charlesview now on the right. 'Aqua' tinted panels are added land. I believe Harvard recently bought the automobile parts building but the tenant has a long term lease.

SNAG-0316.jpg

charlesview, new rendering.

SNAG-0317.jpg

I wish they could move that McDonalds into a new ground floor retail location and then have an additional parcel, but then there would be no drive through.

I think the newer plan looks far more suburban than the original...and less dense as a result of it.

Why are we preserving the suburban character of this area? We are, after all, entering the second decade of the 21st century. Is it really sustainable or even wise to have a neighborhood of detached single-family houses in the immediate vicinity of such a potentially vital urban node, especially considering that (some day, hopefully) the Urban Ring will run right through here?

Like Harvard or not, but one cannot deny that it is a major regional employer and economic engine/incubator. We should be accommodating the desires of those people and businesses associated with the university to locate close to it. By setting the densities so low, we?re pushing those people out of the city, perpetuating sprawl, encouraging car dependency and taxing our already overburdened transit system.

Does anyone at all in this city think long-term?

After reading that article, aparently no one was thinking at Harvard either. When I read about gross negligence it makes me wonder if stupidity is just a cloak for something else. Something more sinister, but thats just the conspiracy enthusiest in me coming out, and in this case (Harvard) I'm not sure what their alterier motives could have been. But either way sounds like Allston will have a little Berlin Wall for a while, sweet.

After reading that article, aparently no one was thinking at Harvard either. When I read about gross negligence it makes me wonder if stupidity is just a cloak for something else. Something more sinister, but thats just the conspiracy enthusiest in me coming out, and in this case (Harvard) I'm not sure what their alterier motives could have been. But either way sounds like Allston will have a little Berlin Wall for a while, sweet.
Harvard's problem really was that it became totally illiquid, and had to sell bonds to raise cash to cover operating expenditures. That probably distinguishes it from most of the others, whose endowments have shrunk by similar percentages as Harvard's.

Other large universities are in similar shape to Harvard, with regard to decrease in their endowment. I don't know how far BC is going to be able to go on their master plan. Notre Dame has about five times the endowment of BC, and it is hurting.

The interesting quote in the Vanity Fair article was of Larry Summers wanting to make Boston in the 21st Century the equivalent of Florence in the 15th.

See:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aTsL6xcC_TjA

You'd think one of, if not the, most prestigious university in the world, with a design school whose reputation surely is on par with the rest of the colleges, could come up with a better master plan than this, excuse my language, piece of shit.

You'd think one of, if not the, most prestigious university in the world, with a design school whose reputation surely is on par with the rest of the colleges, could come up with a better master plan than this, excuse my language, piece of shit.
Kennedy, I presume you are talking about the plan for the site for what largely will be the new Charlesview. The latest iteration reflects a neighborhood's desire -- nay, demand -- that density be decreased.

And yet, one neighborhood activist, who sometimes comments here, recently blogged a commentary about how Assembly Square seems to be moving faster at building housing than Harvard and its partners are in Allston. Yet if one looks at the massing of residential housing at Assembly Square, its just sort the sort of building size and density that the Allstonites opposed in no uncertain terms.

plan.jpg

7/23... noonish on a Thursday and not a soul to be seen anywhere:

1060295.jpg

1060296.jpg

It looks to be 'topped out' with no tree and no flag.

The steel stubs jutting up remind me of those between the tracks at South Station, which have been there for more than a decade, waiting for something to be built on top.

I wonder how Harvard intends to mothball this space. The design was never that this structure was to be open to the elements, though a good portion of it was to be park area, so perhaps there will be some temporary landscaping. Or maybe they will extend the Great Wall of Allston to completely shield the expanse from passers-by.

Boston Globe - July 27, 2009
A sustainable park grows in Allston
Oasis to be built on former concrete plant site will clean the air, recycle rainwater, and provide a design model

By Erin Ailworth, Globe Staff | July 27, 2009

ALLSTON - From dusty concrete plant to empty grass lot, the view from the back window of Rita DiGesse?s house on the corner of North Harvard and Hopedale streets has changed over the nearly eight decades since she was born in the front bedroom.

Now, another transformation is about to take place.

Harvard University planners, Boston redevelopment officials, and a Cambridge landscape design firm are working together to reincarnate the 1.74-acre space, behind the Honan-Allston branch of the public library, into a ?sustainable?? park that will recycle rainwater runoff for irrigation, help clean the air and soil, and provide residents and library patrons with a green oasis in the library?s backyard.

?The park is going to be super better than anything else that was there,?? said DiGesse, 79, recalling the dust that used to layer every surface of her home when the windows were left open. ?All I did was look out my back window at mounds and mounds of cement.??

Harvard and city officials are touting the so-called Library Park, which is expected to be finished in 2011, as a place that will help educate visitors about environmental stewardship.

?It?s really part of this larger open space system and sustainability initiative that the city is driving and that Harvard is really committed to,?? said Gerald Autler, senior project manger and planner at the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which is involved in the park?s creation.

Added Kathy A. Spiegelman, chief planner at the Harvard University Allston Development Group: ?This [project] is a crossroads between the neighborhood and the community center that the library represents.??

But what is a sustainable park? It turns out that just because an outdoor space contains leafy green things doesn?t make it earth-friendly.

According to Galen Cranz, a sociologist and professor of architecture at the University of California at Berkeley, however, it sounds like Library Park is headed in the right direction.

Cranz, who studies urban parks and sustainability, has three criteria to evaluate a park?s green-cred:

■ Is it self-sustaining? If the park needs a lot of maintenance like watering, pruning, or mowing, the answer is probably no, she said.

■ Does the park help solve some larger urban problem? If it helps clean up an area, the answer is probably yes.

■ Are the park?s environmentally friendly features easily replicated in other locations?

Michael Van Valkenburgh, head of the landscape architecture firm designing the park, said Library Park?s green features won?t be obvious to most people.

?While we don?t try to hide sustainability in a park, we?re also not trying to make it such a big badge that it detracts from the larger mission of the park,?? he said. ?It?s not sustainability with a capital S.??

But it will still be sustainable.

The park is being built on the former site of McNamara Concrete Co. In effect, the empty land is being recycled. That means it meets Cranz?s problem-solving criteria.

Preliminary designs of the park from Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates Inc. also show that trees, which help clean the atmosphere and cool surrounding buildings, will line the rear of the library.

And native plants in a ?rain garden?? will help filter rainwater through the soil to a holding tank with a solar-powered irrigation pump that will be used to maintain plants, lawns, and trees.

The tank will also be fed with rainwater collected from the library?s roof. Meanwhile, solar-powered lights will line a quarter-mile of walking paths.

Designers also plan to build up the flat park lot using microtopography in the garden and by constructing a hill using fill from Harvard excavations.

?You get more landscape,?? said Laura Solano, a principal with Michael Van Valkenburgh.

And the hill, she added, ?actually gets us 40 percent more land so we can have more plants, sequester more carbon.??

Solano said the park will also make use of special soils meant to encourage plant growth while keeping the park low-maintenance, another requirement of Cranz?s.

?Soils are a really big component of sustainability,?? Solano said, explaining that with the right balance of minerals and other nutrients - combined with the rainwater-fed irrigation system - the plants in the park would need less maintenance. Soils ?are the basis for everything that happens on top of the park.??

But what about Cranz?s last criteria - that the park?s green features be replicable elsewhere?

Architects at Michael Van Valkenburgh said they have taken inspiration for Library Park from other projects they worked on, like the landscaping outside the Boston Children?s Museum or in Teardrop Park in New York.

Galen Nelson, the redevelopment authority?s green tech business manager, said he definitely thinks the park will help officials implement other environmentally friendly landscape designs elsewhere in Boston.

Added Autler, the authority?s planner: ?We see this as a chance to explore the leading edge of a lot of these issues of park design and sustainability.??

Erin Ailworth can be reached at eailworth@globe.com.

Back