Harvard Law School - Northwest Corner complex | Cambridge

Re: Harvard Law School - Northwest Corner complex

doesn't acid rain erode limestone?

Does it? NYC's plethora of limestone buildings from the 1920s-30s seem to be holding up just fine.

Well, lime is very basic, so acid rain would erode it. I would assume that the limestone used in construction is very much treated and is probably an aggregate. They have a ton of limestone civic buildings in Missouri, because the state is famous for its limestone. Those buildings, and the natural limestone outcroppings, have a totally different color. Much golder. Of course, this is all a guess.

It's too bad all the new limestone buildings we've been getting here (as well as in NYC) have been of the duller, less golden variety. Without that warmth, it's easy to think it's plain old precast.

doesn't acid rain erode limestone?

Due to the banning of various chemicals, acid rain is no longer a serious problem, so I doubt its effects were considered (if any).

Arent the planters on comm ave limestone?

Due to the banning of various chemicals, acid rain is no longer a serious problem, so I doubt its effects were considered (if any).

Arent the planters on comm ave limestone?

Acid rain is primarily caused by emissions from coal-burning power plants. Much of the acid rain that falls in the Northeast originates in the Midwest. The amount of acid rain is being reduced through emission controls on what comes out of the stacks. Banning of various chemicals has nothing to do with it.

From wiki, the chemistry of acid rain:

Sulfur dioxide and water form sulfurous acid (H2SO3)
SO2(g) + H2O(l) <--> H2SO3(aq)

In some cases sulfur dioxide (SO2) oxidizes to sulfur trioxide (SO3)
2SO2(g) + O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)

The sulfur trioxide (SO3) then combines with water making sulfuric acid (H2SO4) SO3(g) + H2O(l) -> H2SO4(aq)

Some oxides of nitrogen like nitrogen dioxide (NO2) react with water to form nitrous acid (HNO2) and nitric acid (HNO3) 2NO2(g) + H2O(l) -> HNO2(aq) + HNO3(aq)

Acid rain is primarily caused by emissions from coal-burning power plants. Much of the acid rain that falls in the Northeast originates in the Midwest. The amount of acid rain is being reduced through emission controls on what comes out of the stacks. Banning of various chemicals has nothing to do with it.

From wiki, the chemistry of acid rain:

Sulfur dioxide and water form sulfurous acid (H2SO3)
SO2(g) + H2O(l) <--> H2SO3(aq)

In some cases sulfur dioxide (SO2) oxidizes to sulfur trioxide (SO3)
2SO2(g) + O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)

The sulfur trioxide (SO3) then combines with water making sulfuric acid (H2SO4) SO3(g) + H2O(l) -> H2SO4(aq)

Some oxides of nitrogen like nitrogen dioxide (NO2) react with water to form nitrous acid (HNO2) and nitric acid (HNO3) 2NO2(g) + H2O(l) -> HNO2(aq) + HNO3(aq)

Thats actually what I meant when I wrote chemicals. Wrong word.

Is someone go to the job site lately ? I heard they started hanging precast panels on the facades.

Yes, on the backside. You can only see them from campus now, not the street.

The building was topped off last week, btw.

The precast panels are fabricated by a company named BPDL (Beton Prefabrique du Lac). This company is located in Alma, a small city in Quebec, Canada.

img4907.jpg

img4936y.jpg

img4960v.jpg

img4962.jpg

img4964.jpg

Although some feel it didn't present a tall enough streetwall, I think it holds its own just fine.

There is something very Stalin-esque about this building.

It monstrously towers over the building across Everett St (you can see this in the third photo), which Harvard has emptied of all tenants for mysterious reasons.

Feels like it belongs in DC more than Cambridge, if not some more authoritarian capital.

Not digging the polygonal arch crap. Thanks for nothing, renderings.

^Temporary

It monstrously towers over the building across Everett St (you can see this in the third photo), which Harvard has emptied of all tenants for mysterious reasons.
Let's hope it's because Harvard intends to replace it with something bigger. Mass Ave shouldn't have single-story buildings that in New York would be derisively referred to as "taxpayers."

They probably do, but it's weird they demanded all the tenants leave the premises this year, as they clearly have no money to start building anything anytime soon. It does nothing but deaden the neighborhood.

As for Mass. Ave., taxpayers are currently the rule, along with Victorian houses and yards. There's an increasing number of four-five story buildings, but assuming a constant rate of infill, it would be half a century or more before it fills out between Harvard and Porter.

I like how this is coming along.

4225301681_78c89bcec9_o.jpg

4225302059_c372146f8a_o.jpg

4225302489_aeda0bcf27_o.jpg

4226071244_039cb2d599_o.jpg

4225303139_af2a96ba1a_o.jpg

4225303401_7954bbe408_o.jpg

4225303681_af26955fae_o.jpg

4226072414_105b9c201b_o.jpg

Back