The "10 Akron Street" project south of Peabody Towers, taken Thursday 5/30

img2575dq3.jpg

img2578kr1.jpg

img2580lu9.jpg

(couldn't get a better angle than this)
img2579jy8.jpg

img2581au9.jpg

Memorial Drive Housing
The Memorial Drive project consists of two parcels: parcel A (north of Hingham Street bounded by Memorial Drive, Akron, and Banks Street), and parcel B (south of Hingham Street bounded by Memorial Drive and Western Avenue).
Parcel A will be developed with a single building that concentrates the massing along Akron Street and Memorial Drive and includes a low-rise section at 35 feet along Banks Street.
Parcel B will be developed as three separate 35 feet structures extending from Hingham Street to Western Avenue along the eastern edge of the property.

memorial_drive_1.jpg

memorial_drive_4.jpg

memorial_drive_6.jpg

memorial_drive_7.jpg

memorial_drive_8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, he doesn't mean the Allston museum. He's referring to an older plan for a Harvard contemporary art museum on the Charles that was completely shot down by NIMBYs who thought their riverfront would be ruined by a practically underground building.

Wasn't the museum also going to be designed by piano?

It took a bit of googling because I thought the plan was more than a decade ago.

Here is a 2001 story (with one rendering and site plan) of the proposed museums, and neighborhood concern.

http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/050189.html

An earlier story (from 1999):
http://www.harvard-magazine.com/nd99/jhj.riverfront.html

Basically, the Cambridge city council put a moratorium on putting museums there, so Harvard decided to put them in Allston instead, and simply use the site for housing. The neighbors objected to housing, tall trees would be cut, and their view of the river obstructed. The neighbors didn't prevail this time. Harvard sweetened the pot too, by building 33 units of affordable housing in the Switch House (see image below).
SwitchHouse.jpg

This Harvard construction project is substantially complete. It is near the Mather and Leverett Houses.

Boundaries are Grant, Banks, and Cowperthwaite streets.

Site plan:
grant_cowper_3.jpg
grant_cowper_3.jpg

Renovated three deckers on Grant St. Gussied up Victorians. Owned by Harvard real estate for graduate students, faculty, etc.

grant_cowper_7.jpg
P1030838.jpg

P1030837.jpg

grant_cowper_10.jpg

grant_cowper_9.jpg

Last edited:
Those new units fit perfectly. Cambridge will never be super-dense along the river so these look more than appropriate.

I don't know how many people are going to visit a museum in derelict allston though.

I've posted construction photos of the Memorial Drive project (officially know as "10 Akron") over in the Harvard Allston Campus thread, and those can be found on pages 5 and 8. I haven't taken any shots of the Coperthwaite-area project, but only because I wasn't aware of it.

Of course this is up to Van, but it might be worth it to make a new thread for these two developments.

If all these developments are just a few units of housing then I don't see the need for each having its own thread.

On the topic of the housing, I think these are some of the most well designed new homes I have seen in a long time. They are modern but completely fit in. Why can't larger buildings be like these?

following pictures taken on Oct. 14.

Harvard graduate student housing on Memorial Drive (where the museum was to be built on the site of the garden nursery). The open space in the foreground is to be a park. Bond Brothers is the general contractor.

harvardgradmemorialdrwestview.jpg

harvardgradmemorialdrcloseup.jpg

harvardgradmemorialdrnorthview.jpg

Harvard is also apparently having to rebuild the concrete facade of Peabody Towers in the background, because it has deteriorated.

harvardgradcloseup.jpg

Another Harvard graduate housing complex, completed a month or two ago. This is north of Mather House and on or near Copperthwaite St. (sp?)
The bottom two pictures are infill houses that Harvard either moved or built there. I discovered that one way to tell a Harvard owned building (at least in this neighborhood) was a fire alarm enunciator on the front facade. Harvard owns (at least) one more building in a cluster of homes here -- a run-down three decker -- which they have started renovating.

newharvardgradhousingbymather2.jpg

P1020778.jpg

newharvardhousingbymather.jpg

newharvardhousingbymather3.jpg

newharvardhousinginfillA.jpg

newharvardhousiunginfill.jpg

I couldn't find a thread for these, so I'll dump them here for now. This is Harvard's graduate housing going up on the Cambridge side of the Charles:

img4526je6.jpg

img4525ve3.jpg

img4527js9.jpg

img4528qu2.jpg

img4529yu9.jpg

img4530ih4.jpg

img4531do4.jpg

img4532so9.jpg

img4533zy1.jpg

img4536qu7.jpg

don't know what's up with the facade

img4537yf1.jpg

img4538ke5.jpg

img4539fr5.jpg

Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

That white building has all the charm of a shipping crate! The architect should be ashamed.

I know! The facade looks like it's aged a good twenty years already, and I had to check the several-year-old aerial shots on Live Maps to see if it had or hadn't already been there for decades.

That white building has all the charm of a shipping crate! The architect should be ashamed.
Well, considering that Harvard probably spent loads of money to have a beautiful museum designed by a world-renowned architect, only to have it nixed by the neighbors who preferred their view of a parking lot, I'll bet that Harvard told their architect to build a box, and to keep it Home Depot-cheap. Personally, I think this result is hilarious.

Back