Hobson's Landing | Aloft Hotel | 383 Commercial Street | Portland

Drove by the other day. I thought I would hate the white, but it's actually not as bright in person as it appears in photos.

Attachments

• 2C0AC8C4-919B-416E-B33C-8AC9AFE71D73.jpeg
    2C0AC8C4-919B-416E-B33C-8AC9AFE71D73.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 193
  • 57097877-1E5E-44F9-B7FA-602C5C7A6A7A.jpeg
    57097877-1E5E-44F9-B7FA-602C5C7A6A7A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 205
Reactions: GIL
One of the 7th floor units is listed for $3.95 million. I'd do half of that for something else in Portland, and take the reminder for a sweet condo in Miami Beach, or maybe Monte Carlo.

One of the 7th floor units is listed for $3.95 million. I'd do half of that for something else in Portland, and take the reminder for a sweet condo in Miami Beach, or maybe Monte Carlo.

That crazy. The prices in Portland are insane.....and you are right. You can find condos in much better locations/climates for half the price!

Southern Maine coast has a beautiful climate, and $4 mil would get you a broom closet with some elbow room in Monte Carlo.

Southern Maine coast has a beautiful climate, and $4 mil would get you a broom closet with some elbow room in Monte Carlo.

Compared to Aroostook County?...sure. $2 million would get you a great condo in San Diego.....or many other better climates than Portland, Maine.

I've been saying all along, no one is going to pay $1+ million to look at Berlin Mills Wharf in February.

You got me interested now. A 2 room condo in Monte Carlo will set you back about $2.5 to $3 million (U.S.). I guess I would have to settle for Monaco with my 2 mill, or down the coast a few miles to Nice (probably something "nice" there between $500K - $1 mill).

Miami Beach: 189K for a 2 BR with a view... https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/900-Bay-Dr-APT-321-Miami-Beach-FL-33141/43878556_zpid/ But certainly a $2 million dollar condo in Miami Beach will be as good as anything in Portland. The Hobson's Place $3.95 million condo has a view of and is diagonally opposite Becky's Diner. Rich folks aren't eating and hanging out in there I'm guessing, though one could walk a few blocks to Brady's new hotel to hang with a group a bit more sophisticated. And this aforementioned condo would be $5.95 million if it were at Fore Points Marina.

Other truly crazy real estate in Maine now is the southern part of Sebago Lake, as it's only a 15 min. drive to Portland and neighboring Windham has all the big box stores. A run-down camp not even on the lake (though a view of it from a hill) is for sale for $3.95 million, with a crappy garage and crappy cabins. The main house is old, and I'm sure, leaks warm air like liquid through a sieve. The entire "complex" needs to be torn down, and when you build the new house, it would not be on the lake. Grossly overvalued.

The best homes in Maine are being built by Kaplan Thompson -- sustainability and design https://www.kaplanthompson.com/project/ledges-edge/ Nobody can top this, or has, in Maine.

Last edited:
That last one is pretty sweet. Great looking corner building for Commercial St.

These buildings look so good in person. I even like the back side too - the angles to fit the hotel in with the Baxter building and the courtyard between the hotel and condos.

That last one is pretty sweet. Great looking corner building for Commercial St.

Agreed, though all those windows on the top four floors will have drawn curtains 24/7. Who wants to be on public display in their hotel room? It's the same issue as the beautiful corner glass at the Hyatt. It looked great before it opened. Now it's just glass with curtains behind it. My fave building in Portland with all glass that is never covered with blinds or curtains is the Wishcamper Center at USM. That's cool.

Aloft sign on side of building is up today. Use your imagination, sorry

Phase 3 Public Hearing 5/25/21

387 (383) COMMERCIAL STREET

To Residents and Property Owners: The Planning Board will hold a public hearing to consider a proposal for the development of a seven-story, 35,100 square foot mixed-use building at 387 Commercial Street. The proposed project is Phase 3 of the 383 Commercial Street Master Development Plan which was approved by the Planning Board on December 13, 2017. The subject property is 34,957 square feet in size and is zoned B-5b Urban Commercial Mixed Use. Public Comments will be taken at this meeting. Written comments should be submitted to planningboard@portlandmaine.gov. Please refer to the document, Guide to Public Participation in the Planning Board Process, for revised procedures for public comment which can be found at http://www.portlandmaine.gov/551/Development-Review.

The REMOTE PUBLIC HEARING will be held: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 5:30 p.m. (this item is 1st on the agenda)

For more information on how to access the remote meeting and how to give public comment, please go to www.portlandmaine.gov/remotePUD. A project and plan summary is available for viewing on the Citizen Self Service Portal (https://css.portlandmaine.gov/), by referencing Plan Number PL-001348-2020. Memos and reports are posted on https://www.portlandmaine.gov/129/Agendas-Minutes by the end of business day on the Friday before the Planning Board meeting. If you have any questions regarding the proposal, please contact Andrew Tufts, Planner, by phone at (207)874-8724 or e-mail at atufts@portlandmaine.gov

Back