Hong Lok House | 11-31 Essex Street | Chinatown

Re: Hong Luk Project - Chinatown

081_zpscdb16964.jpg
082_zps2aa04e4e.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Don't worry there is going to be BEAUTIFUL Alucobond to infill the precast masonry and trim the windows! /BRA /BCDC

^ It may not be architectually authentic, but gimme a facadomy anyday over the typical crap Boston is putting up these days.

Last edited:

Must say...looks good in this perspective.

For the sake of argument:

What would the area have been like if all FiDi towers were built on or inside of original prewar facades?

Probably better.

I think the Summer St facade of 101 Arch answers that question perfectly.

Are those just facades? I thought those were essentially intact buildings with 101 behind them...

If I'm correct then the difference between that frontage and Hong Luk will be that Hong Luk will be aesthetic only, not diversified uses and storefronts along a stretch.

Hong Luk will be aesthetic only
Similar to Exchange Place.
That's one facedectomy that conflicts me. I love the old BSE building, but man the transition to the glass tower is clumsy.

Are those just facades? I thought those were essentially intact buildings with 101 behind them...

I seem to remember seeing a photo of the facades being propped up with steel girders. I could be wrong though or maybe they rebuilt the buildings to tie in better with 101?

They are just facades. The smaller building was totally demolished and the facade put in storage.

101 Summer St...only the top story facades were kept, suspended on steel until everything else was filled in behind. Not even the first story storefronts are original. Only the brickwork and only 1-2 bricks deep.

Really? Well, they did a fantastic job of making them look like pre-war store fronts. I wouldn't have known.

Looked cooler when the giant metal bars were there

I'm not a fan of 101 Arch, but that block of Summer St is fantastic.

One has to appreciate how a poor subsidized elderly housing developer could afford the expense to save several of these lovely, yet relatively historically insignificant, facades; when just down the street, dirt poor, destitute, and almost homeless Ron Druker just can't afford to save the Shreve's building.

Think anyone at City Hall would notice that?

^I've wondered the same thing so many times.

I think it's also sad that of all the things being built in this current boom that this simple half-assed reconstruction of Essex's streetwall is pretty much the best thing being built.

Back