Hood Business Park | 480-570 Rutherford Avenue | Charlestown

That's awesome news! Based on the description in the article, I have a hunch they're negotiating with House of Blues.

There's a *lot* of dead street wall in that design, though, which is rather anti-urban and not very safe for pedestrians.

I don't really consider this an urban site, and I'm not sure how you activate the side walls of a concert venue.

I don't really consider this an urban site, and I'm not sure how you activate the side walls of a concert venue.

You bury the concert venue in the middle of other retail uses. Look at the Boston Opera House -- buried mid-block, surrounded by other uses. You don't have to present huge blank walls. You only need sufficient egress punch throughs to give safe access.

At the moment this area is not pedestrian friendly...hope they change this bc walking from ctown proper is not easy

A way to cross Rutherford to Charlestown proper would be fantastic.

The amount of dead streetwall from building parking garages along the northeast side of the site (Rutherford and D streets), towards the T, and other new developments seems like a massive mistake to me.

Even in the renderings Rutherford Ave looks incredibly wide, especially in the first one.

Globe: Developer pulls the plug on plans for Charlestown concert venue

Tim Logan said:
The developers of Hood Park along Rutherford Avenue have withdrawn plans for a 4,000-seat concert venue in the complex, saying the timing and economics won’t work.

They announced the decision Tuesday night during a community meeting on the project, according to a report in the Charlestown Patriot-Bridge, and said talks with a potential operator for the theater — which would be among Boston’s largest music venues — had recently fallen through. The developers want to start work soon on the garage where the concert venue would have been be located

[...]

I know next to nothing about real estate finance so I guess I believe them but going from concert venue to parking garage stings.

hood http://boston.siretechnologies.com/sirepubbra/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=409&doctype=AGENDA

6:00 p.m.: Request authorization to approve the Development Plan for 100 Hood Park Drive within Planned Development Area No. 51, Hood Park and the Fourth Amendment to the Master Plan for Planned Development Area No. 51 Hood Business Park in Charlestown, pursuant to Section 80C of the Zoning Code; to petition the Zoning Commission for approval of the Development Plan and the Fourth Master Plan Amendment pursuant to Sections 3-1A.a and 80C of the Zoning; to issue a Determination waiving further review pursuant to Section 80A-6 of the Zoning Code in connection with the Notice of Project Change for the construction of a mixed use building consisting of 75,000 square feet of first and second floor retail, restaurant and laboratory office space; 990 parking space garage and 40 bicycle storage spaces; and, to take all related actions.

This is great. Key quote:
Reallocation of the uses and proposed development pads in the 2000 Master Plan to more
appropriately reflect current planning concepts and goals, including the replacement of inefficient
stand-alone parking structures located on Rutherford Avenue with residential uses, open spaces
and more efficient parking plates integrated into mixed-use structures;

The FAR limitation of 2.0 that they're adhering to is a problem, though.

Rutherford Ave continues to astound me in its ugliness.

Oh no no no, those yellows are probably not going to work out.

Back