Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

Just thought I'd dust this off in case some of us forget another reason why the Hook site has been bedeviled for decades
thought i'd drag this over from the hahbah garage thread.....

i asked a BPDA official during yesterday's "heavy action" about how they plan to build the tower over the N/S rail link.... he said "we're working on it..... The MHP is just the 1st step to determine the size and density of the tower. The Hook Lobster render is very early in the design stages. The state will not allow the N/S Rail ROW to be compromised....."

so i asked, would that mean something similar to the Fed Reserve Tower might be done? He said it has been loosely discussed. He then went on to explain, the committment of both sides to work around the N/S Rail to build something substantial on the property. :)

The Harbor Garage tower. ....Yesterday's events at the BPDA were, imo, advanced nimby Guerrilla training. They have ice in their veins. Maybe we can just ram everything through. If so, we won't be calling them 'The Board' anymore. We'll need to change their name to the 'Dream Team.' Now, if we could just convince Linehan to run for another term.
I want to see the site built on, but I want my NSRL!

Does this site need to be built on or could it become part of the harbor walk and an extension of the pedestrian bridge?

I won't argue it's uninspired, but absolutely nothing similar to this exists along 495

The shape is different, but what about the new Heights at Haverhill building?
1612717206974.jpeg

image source

Last edited:
I wonder how they did it at the Whiskey Priest site, the harbor walk has been built out over the harbor by about 20' it looks like?
Entirely from memory:
The owners of the Whiskey Priest site before Cronin were supposed, as a condition of a permit, to build a harborwalk around the perimeter of the site. They did not do so. The site was sold to Cronin, who proceeded to expand use of the site, but not its area. He did nothing about building the harborwalk, though the permit provision was still valid.

Cronin then proposes his new building on the site. There is litigation, partly about the missing harborwalk. His proposed building becomes financially impracticable if he has to build the harborwalk within the boundary of his property parcel. Cronin secures an easement from Tishman Speyer who 'own' the harbor bottom next to Pier Four, and is able to construct the harborwalk on Tishman Speyer's parcel and outside the boundary of the land parcel that he owns.

Back