Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

stellarfun

Reaction score
James Hook Burns Down on the Greenway

Certainly a landmarlk. Certainly a nice development parcel. Wonder if they will rebuild?

Re: James Hook Burns Down on the Greenway

Sad news indeed. Certainly a desirable location in which to rebuild.

Watch for architectural renderings any day now. Federal Maritime law makes it very hard to do demolition over navigable waterways. Remember the suspicious fire just down the channel about 25 years ago, just after the Globe ran a story about how difficult it would be to remove the shed that was overhanging the channel.

After the fire in Blackstone Sq., the Bostonian Hotel paraded full plans within what must have been days. They have never built the addition however. My belief is they are being punished. I can't prove that but it's been about 15-20 years since the fire.

What a shame. The combination of this fire and the City's hellbent efforts to eliminate the Barking Crab will result in a loss of the few remaining vestiges of uniqueness for this corner of the city.

this is too bad.. heard the owners are vowing to rebuild and not give in to developers.

I'm holding out hope that Barking Crab stays, Hynes and the city are pushing them out but that most recent shutdown was completely bogus. I mean really.

this is too bad.. heard the owners are vowing to rebuild and not give in to developers.

I'm holding out hope that Barking Crab stays, Hynes and the city are pushing them out but that most recent shutdown was completely bogus. I mean really.

have you guys been to the barking crab? it is semi bad food that is way overpriced. mixed with poor service and bad ownership, its not really worth saving as is. true the buildling is interesting and unique, but the business itself is not.

hook on the otherhand, i hope they rebuild with a bigger restaurant space.

Your right. The food stinks at the Barking Crab, but the beer tastes just a good there as at other bars and the view is better.

Fuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkk.....thought it was a joke

It's gone!
xxxphoto001.jpg
xxxphoto009.jpg
xxxphoto004.jpg

At least My Uncle's Backyard in Sudbury -- wait, I mean the Greenway -- was not harmed.

I think whether they rebuild there will depend on how much insurance they have, and whether the pilings on which much of the structure stood need or ought to be replaced.

Rebuilding the same funky motif shouldn't be expensive or take long. If they gussy it up with a nicer metal roof, brick and cinderblock, that will take more time.

I'm guessing that fire, safety and environmental codes will dictate a lot of what the future site will look like.

It's not as bad as it looks if the supporting pier structure is undamaged.

Well played, Globe. Well played.

2538894498_60bbd92ae9_o.jpg

^^What about it? You do know that the search results are determined by computers, not by people.

The site always looked like shit,but everytime you passed it ,It gave you that old Boston feeling,I drive by it every work day and it will be sadly missed! No replacement is going to give you that same vibe! every thing around this area has now been changed, new bridge,new and altered buildings,parks ect.
xcranes457.jpg

Back