Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

Re: James Hook Burns Down on the Greenway

60,000lbs of lobster at 1.25 to 1.5lbs per lobster is 40-48,0000 dead lobsters if they boiled in their tanks before the building could have collapsed to free them into the channel. I suspect Boston Fire will be eating well for the next month......

If they survived with the partial collapse into the channel, in a few years given the pollution in the channel a legion of C.H.U.D.s will arise to their revenge upon the Seaport District. /Hey Sci-Fi channel there's your low budget b-movie for next year.

If they died, I DEMAND A MEMORIAL FOR THE LOBSTERS to grace our glorious median strip. Imagine a farmers or fish market underneath a giant red sculptural mass signifying the historic, economic, and delicious importance of lobsters to the commonwealth. Someone has to one up the old kinetic sculpture lost at the aquarium and the chicken-wire dragon at the WTC. Besides how could our heartless commonwealth turn a blind eye to the genocide of 40-48,000 of our tasty historically and economically important aquatic friends. I smell an earmark.....

^^What about it? You do know that the search results are determined by computers, not by people.

Yes, I'm well aware how online search results are generated, but I'm a simple man and simple things like that amuse me.

On topic, thankfully nobody was hurt (except the lobsters and they didn't have much going for them anyway), and hopefully whatever is rebuilt will be able to recapture some of what was lost. :(

Cause of fire?

One thing that always really bothered me about this building was how it and its parking lot disrupted--in a major way--the otherwise continuous harbor walk. Hopefully any redevelopment fixes this.

Ideally, I'd like to see this site redeveloped in conjunction with the restoration/development of the N. Ave Bridge. I think the additional adjacent property would make that project much more feasible.

Cause of fire?

Nobody knows yet.

Boston Globe
- May 31, 2008
7-alarm fire destroys landmark lobster business
James Hook owners vow to return

By Megan Woolhouse and John R. Ellement, Globe Staff | May 31, 2008

Even as swank steel and glass office buildings rose up around it, the squat, wooden James Hook & Co. lobster warehouse remained near Rowes Wharf in downtown Boston, a modest, even grubby reminder of Boston's seafaring soul.

Operated by four successive generations of Hook family members since 1925, the company kept its homespun feel even as it grew to become one of the country's largest lobster distributors. Relatives could often be found serving lobster rolls at the lunch counter, packing lobsters for shipping, or crunching numbers in the office.

The Hook clan gathered in the parking lot of the business yesterday, some in tears. A 7-alarm fire ravaged the business early yesterday morning, destroying a half- million dollars worth of lobster and reducing the landmark to a smoldering heap of charred wood and corrugated metal. The Hook family said yesterday that they have already begun looking at spaces where they could relocate.

Edward Hook II, one of the owners, told reporters that if the business survived the Big Dig, which occurred right outside its front door, it can survive a fire. The hope, they said, was to rebuild where the business has always stood.

"We will set up a trailer, we will set up a tent. I don't know what we are going to do, but we will find a way," he said. "Once this mess is cleaned up, we will find a way."

Fire officials said the cause of the fire was unknown yesterday. Officials estimated the damage at $5 million.

The alarm company that monitors the business alerted the family to the disaster shortly after 3 a.m. Stephen MacDonald a spokesman for the Fire Department, said firefighters at a station just two blocks away from the business learned of the blaze when 911 calls began flooding the dispatch center.

More than 135 firefighters battled the blaze into the daylight, including a scuba team that dove into the harbor and sprayed the rear of the building with seawater for several hours, and a Massachusetts Port Authority fireboat that doused the structure using a powerful pump. The Fire Department's large fireboat could not be used because it is too big to float under the Northern Avenue bridge.

Several Hook family members drove into the city from their homes on the North Shore and found flames leaping from the roof of the business. Hook said he saw smoke as he drove along the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge and "knew there was trouble." Employee John Mazurkiewicz, a Hook cousin, said he had tears in his eyes as he walked up Atlantic Avenue and saw flames devouring the place where he had worked since he was 16. He is now 52.

"To see that landmark the way it was is pretty powerful," he said. "You just never think anything like this is going to happen, but when it does, it strikes home."

Cardboard boxes, used by the Hook family to ship lobsters, as well as the creosote-soaked wooden pilings on which part of the business rested, helped fuel the flames. The interior of the business was always moist, if not soaking wet, from the tankloads of lobster housed there, and several family members said they were surprised that the building caught fire. The business housed more than 300 tanks, filled with continuously circulating sea water and able to hold 1,000 pounds of lobster. More than 60,000 pounds of live lobsters - worth more than a half-million dollars - were lost in the blaze.

When asked by reporters yesterday whether he knew how the fire started, Hook answered succinctly: "Not a clue. Not a clue."

The smell of smoke filled the area yesterday, and firefighters and demolition crews drew the attention of joggers and people on their way to work who stopped in their tracks at the sight of the smoldering building. Throughout the day, people snapped photos of the destruction with cellphone cameras.

Hook opened in that location at a time when many lobster shacks and fish houses dotted the Atlantic Avenue shoreline. Since then, most have either shuttered or moved to South Boston, leaving Hook as a last vestige of downtown's maritime past.

Today, many well-dressed people who work in the area spoke wistfully about Hook's lobster rolls. Andrea Ponsetto, a computer analyst at Fidelity Investments, said she visited Hook's every spring to get one with a chips and a soda. She said it was a joy to eat it outside overlooking the harbor.

"It just looks like you'd find it in Maine," she said of the business, "not in a major financial district."

Steve Botchie, who works in South Boston, said he and his extended family had a longstanding tradition of swooping into Hook's to collect seafood - mostly lobster - for a Christmas banquet.

"I think they absolutely" should rebuild, he said. "It's a Boston landmark."

Many appreciated the business's lack of pretentiousness, especially in an area where yachts have come to outnumber fishing boats. The Hook company name was mounted in huge, homemade, white wooden letters nailed to the side of the building. The store's dank interior smelled intensely of seafood. Hook & Co. sold as much as 3 million pounds of lobster in a single year, family members said, much of it caught in Canada, trucked into Boston, and sent worldwide.

Bill Adler, executive director of the Massachusetts Lobstermen's Association, said restaurants in Boston and beyond will probably feel the pinch.

"The Hook company was one of the stalwarts of the distribution system," said "He was one of the big boys."

Hook said he and his son were the last to leave the business on Thursday when they closed the doors about 5 p.m. Nothing was amiss, he said.

"I expected to be here this morning, opening the door and doing business as usual," he said.

Instead, Hook and other family members coordinated demolition crews late into the afternoon and evening. Most family members said they wanted the debris cleared quickly because it was too painful to look at the ruins. Many family members sat on the pavement and watched somberly, including Michael Goto, a 26-year-old fourth-generation Hook family member.

"It's like someone in the family died," he said.

The family has fought off temptations to sell the increasingly valuable piece of land for real estate development, but quickly the talk of Atlantic Avenue became whether Hook would continue to operate on that site, wedged between so many grand office buildings and pricey hotels.

Gimmy Hook, the business's bookkeeper whose grandfather founded the business, said he was in shock. He said the business would reopen, but probably not on the same scale, he said. And its ambiance is irreplaceable.

"This has been a landmark here since 1925. We had so many pictures inside, so many memories," he said. "We'll be back though."

At some point, it looks as if this thread will be on the new developments board.

nvestigators yesterday combed through the rubble of James Hook & Co., searching for clues to the cause of Friday?s seven-alarm fire at the landmark seafood company.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said investigators hope to determine soon what started the predawn blaze, which resulted in an estimated $5 million loss for the owner, including 60,000 pounds of lobster.

?There?s a lot of history here,? co-owner Al Hook said as he surveyed the wreckage, smoldering a day later. ?It?s like a wake, we?ve gotten so many condolences. Everyone has been good to us.?

The waterfront business had been in the family for three generations. Customers could buy fresh lobster rolls and pick clams from baskets and lobsters from tanks.

?It?s really sad to see it go,? said Judy Peterson, who?s bought seafood there for 10 years and went by yesterday to see what was left.

Al Minahan recalled standing next to his father years ago in Wakefield, watching helplessly as the family drug store burned down. ?When I heard about this, it brought back those memories,? Minahan said. ?We?d come here for celebrations. The thing about the Hooks is they treated royalty and street people the same.?

After the fire department finishes its investigation, Hook said, the family will demolish what?s left of the Atlantic Avenue business and rebuild on the same property.

?We?ll be back,? he said, ?and maybe with a few surprises.?

In addition to its wholesale-retail business, Hook said, the family may open a restaurant on the site, where a lobster weathervane still sat yesterday atop a red steeple.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) have both called the family, promising to cut through any red tape so that they can could rebuild quickly.

Firefighters removed a gold leaf lobster an artist made that adorned the roof and presented it to Al Hook. Jimmy Hook was still in shock, saying, ?It?s so strange the way it burned. It?s all water in there, with the lobster tanks.?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1097798

Last edited:

ATF investigates site of James Hook blaze

By Megan Woolhouse, Globe Staff | June 1, 2008

Federal investigators from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives joined city investigators yesterday in the search for clues as to what sparked the early-morning blaze that destroyed James Hook & Co.

Stephen MacDonald, Boston Fire Department spokesman, said the ATF sent extra agents to aid in the city's investigation, which was expected to continue through the weekend. The cause of the fire remains undetermined, he said.

"They're trying to come up with a point of origin, then they can come up with how [the fire] started," MacDonald said yesterday.

Firefighters at a station two blocks away from the business learned of the blaze when 911 calls began coming in shortly after 3 a.m. Friday. They arrived to find flames leaping from the roof of the wooden lobster shack and warehouse. Cardboard boxes used to ship lobster helped fuel the fire, which ultimately caused the corrugated metal roof of the building to collapse.

Yesterday, demolition workers driving large mechanical claws helped investigators in hardhats uncover buried and still smoldering piles of debris. They photographed various parts of the building, and MacDonald said that as part of their protocol, they would interview firefighters who were first on the scene and review the business's insurance records. ATF officials did not return phone calls seeking comment yesterday.

The investigation is proceeding slowly because damage to the building is so severe that it has to be deconstructed carefully, MacDonald said.

Fire Department officials estimated $5 million in damage to the landmark, a stalwart of the local fishing industry that remained on Atlantic Avenue even as pricey hotels and high-rises rose up around it. It also left more than 100 employees, many Hook family members, unemployed. Edward Hook II, one of the owners, said he will reopen on the site.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino said he called Hook shortly after learning of the fire and offered him relocation space in the city's maritime industrial park. Hook and his brothers plan to meet with city officials tomorrow to see it.

"I wanted to try to get them back in business as soon as we could," Menino said in a phone interview yesterday. "It's a very competitive business, and they're an icon in this city."

Started in 1925, the rustic wooden exterior of Hook's looked like as if it belonged in rural Maine and belied the business's reputation as one of the largest lobster distributors in the country. Hook, a third-generation owner, said yesterday that he did not know the value of the site, a key waterfront location on Atlantic Avenue coveted by developers.

When asked whether he had insurance coverage, Hook shook his head. "I don't know about any of that," he said. "Right now I'm just concerned with getting reorganized and trying to stay in business."

That is no small task. More than 60,000 pounds of live lobster died in the fire. Among them were 600 2-pound lobsters headed to a country club event in Maryland. "They went up in smoke," Hook said.

Many trucks delivering lobster from Canada turned back after learning about the fire, making it difficult for Hook to fill orders. When a load of about 10,000 pounds of lobster arrived Friday, Hook said, local seafood distributors offered him space for them.

Hook's wife, Julie, said the family lost many of its most cherished photos in the blaze, including images of their forebears who started the business.

"That's one of the hardest things my husband is dealing with," she said. "It's the memories he'll never get back. That's a huge loss. It's part of your life gone."

Minutes later, a firefighter emerged from the rubble with a 5-foot-long golden lobster that had adorned the business's rooftop weathervane. Hook family members cheered and applauded at the sight of it. Its body was dented and scraped, but family members posed happily for pictures with it.

Say what you will about Mumbles but that was a nice gesture.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino said he called Hook shortly after learning of the fire and offered him relocation space in the city's maritime industrial park. Hook and his brothers plan to meet with city officials tomorrow to see it.
Uh-oh, get ready for the fifteen-year parking lot where Hook used to be.

LOL, nice parsing mess-up. But like I said before, its all due to automization. Nothing has that "human touch" anymore to make all headlines perfect.

Excerpted from today's Herald.

...In a few weeks, the Hooks are hoping to have an office trailer on the site. One wooden portion of the building used for storage and tank filtration survived the fire, and the Hooks hope to set up tanks there and rebuild the retail part of their business within a few months. There?s a lot hanging over the Hooks head: learning the cause of the fire, dealing with salvage and teardown and insurance companies and, then, the whole process of getting permitted so Hook can rebuild on the site.

?We talked to Mayor Menino and Sen. Kerry, and they?re promising to help us cut through the red tape,? Al Hook says. ?As soon as they finish investigating, we?ll tear it down and start over. We?re hoping to make it a speedy rebuilding.?

The Hooks are already thinking about what their new building will look like.

?We want to have a cafe/seafood restaurant with windows that look out over the water,? Jimmy Hook said.

?The area?s grown up around us,? Eddie Hook says. ?We want to be more connected to the harbor.?

?Hook?s an icon, and it?ll be great if they can put some benches out there in a few months and start serving the tourists and the regulars - to make their lobster rolls again,? Nagle said. ?Then people will see that, while Hook?s a site of devastation now, it will regenerate itself like a forest after a fire.?

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...ness_even_as_fire_burned/srvc=home&position=5

Last edited:

A sad sight. There was such an acrid smell in the air, too.

img9335ml0.jpg

img9336fz8.jpg

img9338pa9.jpg

img9340pe9.jpg

this morning
xxxphoto378.jpg

I know I am speaking blasphemy, since this was an iconic business, but I always thought that this was an amazing location that horribly under utilized.

I walked by yesterday - holy crap- THE SMELL!! It's so gross, it's liked baked rotting seafood mixed with burning oil. It's disgusting. I think they said 60,000 pounds of lobster was lost - well a lot of it must just be sitting under that rubble rotting. It's disgusting!

I know I am speaking blasphemy, since this was an iconic business, but I always thought that this was an amazing location that was horribly under-utilized.

I agree Cojapo. I am hoping that whatever replaces it will jump-start the redevelopement/restoration of the old Northern Ave. Bridge and will "bump" out to the street with features to attract more pedestrian traffic.

Welcome to Boston -- now hold your nose! Stench from fire at lobster facility cloaks downtown - By Naomi R. Kooker Boston Business Journal

As the odor of rotting fish wafted by, Andy Kountz, a Cincinnati man in Boston for the weekend, was hoping the wind would shift. "Do I get the stench? How can you not?" he says, standing outside the InterContinental Boston with a friend who wrinkles her nose.

That stench is from decaying seafood, emanating from a block away where workers wearing respirators and protective rain gear continue to clean up what's left of the James Hook facility. James Hook & Company, a longtime family-owned lobster company, suffered a seven-alarm fire that razed the wood buildings and sent thousands of pounds of lobster, shellfish and fish into the Fort Point Channel a week ago Friday.

"Today it smells like it's right in the hotel lobby," said Dan Rodriguez, a stenographer for ASAP Sports Reporting in New York City, standing in the InterContinental lobby. "I was about to put on my bib and bring some lemon."

Many tourists and out-of-towners staying at the InterContinental or Boston Harbor Hotel, which flank the Hook site, assumed it was just the way Boston is. "If you're a first-time visitor of Boston and nobody says anything, you might wonder if this is what Boston smells like," says Stephen Carew, an international banker from Tampa, Fla. Neither hotel had made an effort to inform its guests the origins of the pungent P.U. -- until asked about the issue Friday by a reporter.

"We're going to get on that right now," said Timothy P. Kirwan, general manger of the InterContinental Hotel. The hotel decreased the amount of air it circulates from outside, did some sanitizing and added scent applications to the air in the hotel, he says.

"I thought this was the usual Boston smell," said Steve Skinner, an National Basketball Association cameraman from San Diego, who spoke outside the Boston Harbor Hotel. "Actually it doesn't bother me, it's the charm of the place."

G-J Towing Inc. is trying to temper that charm. On Monday the Revere, Mass., company, which is doing the demolition and removal of the debris, started using layers of chemicals and plastic bags in its dumpsters to combat the smell. "It would be 100 percent worse if we didn't," said project manager James Morando, standing outside the fenced-in demolition site. Temperatures are supposed to reach into the 90s this weekend, threatening an even stronger stench.

Alfred A. Hook, an owner of James Hook, said the company is trying to clean up the site as quickly as possible. "We hope to get it rapped up in a few days," he says. "We'll see."

The cause of the fire is still unknown as the investigation is ongoing, according to Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Boston Fire Department.

None of the visitors said they'd leave the city because of the smells. "It is what it is," says Carew. "What am I going to do?"

Boston.com - July 31, 2008
I spoke with the folks at James Hook & Co. The lobster company's landmark waterfront building was destroyed by fire at the end of May.

Co-owner/lobster slinger (his terminology) Eddie Hook had good news.

The company has been operating at 339 Northern Ave., the other end of the avenue from its old location, but a return to its original, and rightful, place is imminent. Hook reports things are moving ahead. The demolition of the old structure is finished; the site is clean and ready to be reoccupied. They're bringing in modular trailers, likely this weekend, and it looks as though retail business will return to the corner in the next couple of weeks. They plan to have the full line of seafood back on site.

Says Hook: "We're going to rebuild the lobster company, the store, and maybe some kind of eatery where people can stop, have a lobster product, and enjoy a place to sit down and get a good view of the harbor."

Wouldn't it be nice if the city/state sold Hook some land on the Greenway itself to open his restaurant?

Back