Hope Point Tower (Fane) | 250 Dyer Street | Providence

I would like to see this tower redesigned, or at the very least a less awkward base. The tower is neat but the design also seems a bit out of place in Providence.

With that said, I still absolutely want to see this go over 500'.

Love the design. It looks "out of place" in Providence because of the old/conservative designs of what was built 10+ years ago. That should not be the reason to tone down this tower.

Love seeing all the construction going on in Providence. I'm there quite a lot and love seeing the city build up. I don't know how I feel on the design for the tower though. It's not amazing and it's not horrible. It's just ok. Providence does need a tower of this magnitude though.

Tower looks like it should be in Atlantic City or Orlando, not Providence. I actually think it would look better glass-sheathed, rather than those horrible black window bands.

Good to see development in such a great city, though.

Love the design. It looks "out of place" in Providence because of the old/conservative designs of what was built 10+ years ago. That should not be the reason to tone down this tower.

I'm in this camp as well. Providence has a long established reputation of bucking the "Puritanical New England" trend. It's Boston's edgier little sibling to the south. I think this building exemplifies that. I see shades of Chicago's Aqua with this and that one works nicely in a cold climate. No reason this can't work here.

I do agree about the base though - would like to see something that does more to encourage the extension of Dorrance St.'s historic street wall. With the pedestrian bridge going in right there, this will be a new gateway to downtown and should reflect that in its urbanity.

I do agree about the base though - would like to see something that does more to encourage the extension of Dorrance St.'s historic street wall. With the pedestrian bridge going in right there, this will be a new gateway to downtown and should reflect that in its urbanity.

There was a public meeting last summer I went to and the architect said the podium was an "unfortunate reality" and went on and on about successful Toronto projects. They would never ever get away with that podium there.

I lived near one in Toronto and it was bland. I'm all about height but if you want something iconic you shouldn't be creating a cheaper version of Aqua or Absolute World. I know we're not a would class city worthy of Frank Gehry but we can do better. It might even be better looking if they simplified the shape.

Design is subjective but that podium.....

File this one under "least shocking developments of all time"... if the economics of the Downtown Providence development market had favored this project, it would get built. But they don't--obviously--given how THERE ISN'T A TOWER REMOTELY OF THIS SIZE OR STATURE IN DOWNTOWN. Ergo, this developer [at least in this specific proposal's context] is obviously merely a P.T. Barnum roadshow huckster, stringing the Downtown Providence stakeholder community along for whatever perverse enjoyment he's extracted from this tawdry drama... sigh.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/rhode-island/2019/07/31/was-mayor-elorza-right-about-fane-tower-gripping-story-out-bristol-swimming-scarborough/q24BVU1HVCNsw882WVMs2N/story.html

Wow

“The Providence City Council ultimately overrode Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza’s veto, allowing the maximum height for parcel 42 of the former I-195 land to be raised by hundreds of feet so that New York developer Jason Fane can build the 46-story Hope Point Tower there.”
https://www.wpri.com/news/committee-votes-to-remove-providences-zoning-authority-over-195-land/

screen-shot-2019-04-10-at-11.33.06-pm.png

AR-181029823.jpg

2018-1100-hope-point-edit.jpg

Hope_Point_Conceptual_Review_Page_16_1717_1111_90.jpg

36872623_224986324998133_7758302320743415808_n.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2019-04-08-at-9.17.38-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-03-11-at-8.16.40-PM.png

AR-181119300.jpg

img-4007_1.jpg

FaneTower1.png

I have to say, while it looks like Miami meets the Aqua Tower in Chicago, dropped in New England, I really like this idea ... now if only those parking lots nearby could be filled in ...

Hope Point Tower design was approved by the I-195 commission! Lets see what the next steps will be!

Saga continues on this POS. Fane applies for tax-stabilization deal: https://www.providencejournal.com/n...s-for-tax-stabilization-deal-meeting-deadline

Of note, the documents submitted to the city indicate that this is now taller than originally proposed with more units. From 420 units and 495 feet to 500 unites and 550 feet. 313 proposed parking spaces. Less than 1 per unit which I appreciate. GoLocal has cost estimates from Gilbane too: https://www.golocalprov.com/busines...ane-tower-project-taller-and-more-uni?fbclid=

Saga continues on this POS. Fane applies for tax-stabilization deal: https://www.providencejournal.com/n...s-for-tax-stabilization-deal-meeting-deadline

Turn away a big project like this and next thing you know you guys will be knocking down the Industrial Trust Building. Providence needs a shot in the arm before the city's most recognizable building deteriorates much further. It's a gem of the city, but not exactly a hot commodity for major investors. The Fane Tower, if nothing else, is a true litmus test for the future prospects of Providence.

Idk- I don't think those two are necessarily correlated. I could easily see this being built and then some moron with no appreciation of architecture or history waltzing into Providence and knocking down ITB to build some ugly box 20 feet taller- I think that was Hasbro's idea.

Per unit cost of $284,393? Does this seem insanely cheap? Like significantly cheaper than per-unit construction in Boston?

1575122063482.png

Turn away a big project like this and next thing you know you guys will be knocking down the Industrial Trust Building. Providence needs a shot in the arm before the city's most recognizable building deteriorates much further. It's a gem of the city, but not exactly a hot commodity for major investors. The Fane Tower, if nothing else, is a true litmus test for the future prospects of Providence.

Why does he need a $25M tax break from a cash strapped state to build a luxury tower? I'm a little confused on that point. Its not like he's building affordable housing.

Small update on Fane Tower. Anybody know if he actually made the payment?

Small update on Fane Tower. Anybody know if he actually made the payment?

yea he unfortunately did according to this local reporter in touch with developments in that area

Attachments

• CDA79366-BCFE-4028-96AF-E27CA2648274.jpeg
    CDA79366-BCFE-4028-96AF-E27CA2648274.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 188
yea he unfortunately did according to this local reporter in touch with developments in that area

Fortunate in my book, although I hope he alters the design quite a bit. I strongly believe that if this is successful, it will lead to further substantial developments in Providence and more national/international interest in the city. I even more strongly believe that if this fails, Providence will not receive any such interest, to the point where they ultimately have to tear down the Industrial National Bank Building. If that happens I have vowed to never return to the city again, and I currently consider it my 2nd favorite city in New England.

I wouldn't worry too much. I can’t imagine there’s any appetite to actually finance such an ambitious project in Providence right now.

Last edited:

Back