How to post an image

OK, so is there an image sever that both hosts and resizes pictures? As far as I can tell imgurs will only let you crop but not resize pictures now. So I had to upload my photo to here, resize it, download the smaller pic to my pc and then re-upload it back to imgur. That seems ridiculous

datadyne pointed out that if you add an "h" to the end of the imgur url (before the ".jpg" or whatever) it automatically shrinks it to "huge" size, which fits archBoston's size standard.

For example, uploading a pic to imgur might give you a link that ends "...qhB7b.jpg". Adding an "h" gives you "...qhB7bh.jpg", which you can post as a resized image.

I recommend flickr. It gives me literally a free terabyte of space! Use the BB Code to share whatever size you want.

datadyne pointed out that if you add an "h" to the end of the imgur url (before the ".jpg" or whatever) it automatically shrinks it to "huge" size, which fits archBoston's size standard.

For example, uploading a pic to imgur might give you a link that ends "...qhB7b.jpg". Adding an "h" gives you "...qhB7bh.jpg", which you can post as a resized image.

You can do it manually like that or let Imgur actually append the suffix on for you in the size dropdown in the generate image links window. Helpful when you have multiple images.

zx4so1.png

Does the forum software look at the file name extension in the image URL? I'm wondering why a firefox screenshot doesn't seem to work when I try to put https://screenshots.firefox.com/4BhUuARXTshXiJWz/streetmix.net inside an img tag:

streetmix.net

(If you start the reply process may be able to see the img tag I tried to insert here.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the forum software requires a .jpg, .jpeg, .png or .gif format. There may be other formats it can handle but those are the only ones I'm sure of.

Yes, thanks for your help in pointing out that there is a URL ending in .png if you isolate just the image. (I'd been assuming that there was a URL that didn't end in .png which was nevertheless a png or other well known graphics format file, which can happen since HTTP has a Content-Type field, but that turns out to have not been the issue here.)

Since the default screenshots of streetmix are huge, it looks like an effective approach to cutting them down using firefox and the netpbm package is to make a screenshot of the visible area, download that screenshot, run

$ pngtopnm 'Screenshot_2018-07-18 Mass Ave w of Pearl – Streetmix.png' | pnmcut -top 30 -bottom -100 | pnmscale .5 | pnmtopng >MassAvewoPearl.png

open up the resulting png, take another screenshot, click on the happy face to get the default area, and then set that for indefinite retention and get the .png URL to paste into the img tag.

4c50f6f9-4381-4610-9d9f-e7c9c555d9ac.png

d0bf616e-3668-4350-b0ad-390d3be06577.png

Besides Google photos, this site and Emporis, I'm not a big fan of sharing my photos on image hosting sites. I'm looking for recommendations for photo editing apps / software that you guys use to crop and resize photos for uploading onto this site. I'm willing to spend some change for a decent program/app.

Besides Google photos, this site and Emporis, I'm not a big fan of sharing my photos on image hosting sites. I'm looking for recommendations for photo editing apps / software that you guys use to crop and resize photos for uploading onto this site. I'm willing to spend some change for a decent program/app.

At this point you can copy and paste directly onto this site, basically anything up to 4000x3000 without issue. There's no need to host the pictures anywhere if you choose not to.

I don't have a specific place to resize in case your pictures are larger than that. However, in case you need to, make sure you pay attention because it often defaults to a lower quality on the resize. For instance I think just using "Photos" on windows if you try to resize it defaults to 85% quality. I know another site defaulted to "medium" quality or something like that in the past. So just make sure you're bringing that back up to 100%. Then you should be able to copy/paste the picture directly to archboston.

Back