I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

I'm honestly surprised that there's been a lack of reference to North-South Rail Link as a potential solution to this very clear and present operational problem. I worry that this is just another instance of highway project costs taking precedent over transit ones. It can not only transform service, but it can make the system more resilient. Seems like a win, win, win. And yet, the Gov's Office is doing whatever they can for Allston I-90 and the Cape Cod Bridges. So much for Dems caring more for transit.
To be fair to the healey admin, the north draw project is crucial to north side expansion. That’s not to say the price tag isn’t a hard pill to swallow, but at least they and the congressional representation have worked hard to get that funding secured. With or without a NSRL, that is needed

To be fair to the healey admin, the north draw project is crucial to north side expansion. That’s not to say the price tag isn’t a hard pill to swallow, but at least they and the congressional representation have worked hard to get that funding secured. With or without a NSRL, that is needed
Very fair point to add. I just find it funny that 4-5 years ago under Baker, so many transit-minded advocates and electeds were pushing for NSRL but it seems nowhere now on the agenda. Disappointed to see it fade at a moment when we should be asking "how do we do this project?" rather than "should we do this project?"

Very fair point to add. I just find it funny that 4-5 years ago under Baker, so many transit-minded advocates and electeds were pushing for NSRL but it seems nowhere now on the agenda. Disappointed to see it fade at a moment when we should be asking "how do we do this project?" rather than "should we do this project?"
I do think a major reason why we're hearing less about NSRL is that electrification is being viewed more and more as a prerequisite for it. And given the lack of clear electrification plans, it makes more sense to push those first. Both of these projects should be embraced, but it definitely seems like a waste to build ventilation tunnels for NSRL or have it built without them and not be able to run much service.

Also, despite how late into the process we are, I wish there was a serious discussion within MassDOT about removing a lane or two. It would make the construction phasing so much simpler and would likely make it much easier to keep all rail infrastructure operational throughout the project.

The NSRL is also a megaproject that won’t get Fed bucks in the current political climate. Until there is a Congress that will ignore/override any commentary about the Big Dig, it’s not happening.

HUH?!? The Charles River bridge doesn't have anything to do with the Pike straightening. The trajectory of the Grand Junction into the realigned highway doesn't start changing until after the Storrow overpass. It's literally well outside the project area limits. Besides, I doubt you could realign it much to change the trajectory given the angle at which it must slot under BU Bridge and coming off the Memorial Drive underpass. To say nothing about how much that extracurricular would bloat the cost of an already heinously expensive project.

I call BS. This would be a major project change and major expansion of the project area if it were actually true. That said, the original scoping docs for the realignment specced that the GJ might be out-of-service for up to a decade since it has to be severed for the staging of the highway grounding, and bringing it back online would be one of the last touches before the project wraps. So the T and Amtrak non-voluntarily would have to get used to using the Worcester-Ayer detour for several years.
AFAICT, the spans over Soldier Field Road are part of the GJ Bridge and those will be removed. What will be left is a partial bridge, which is not a bridge. So yes, the bridge will be removed during highway construction. The article makes it seem like it's the river span that will be removed, and that's wrong. But that distinction doesn't matter for what's being discussed.

You seem to be glossing over the important part here, which is closing the Grand Junction. You say MBTA will have to get used to it. MBTA is saying the that would cause commuter rail to "cease within weeks." So what's going on here?

HUH?!? The Charles River bridge doesn't have anything to do with the Pike straightening. The trajectory of the Grand Junction into the realigned highway doesn't start changing until after the Storrow overpass. It's literally well outside the project area limits. Besides, I doubt you could realign it much to change the trajectory given the angle at which it must slot under BU Bridge and coming off the Memorial Drive underpass. To say nothing about how much that extracurricular would bloat the cost of an already heinously expensive project.

I call BS. This would be a major project change and major expansion of the project area if it were actually true. That said, the original scoping docs for the realignment specced that the GJ might be out-of-service for up to a decade since it has to be severed for the staging of the highway grounding, and bringing it back online would be one of the last touches before the project wraps. So the T and Amtrak non-voluntarily would have to get used to using the Worcester-Ayer detour for several years.
MassDOT is planning to demolish the southern bridge abutments while it removes the highway viaduct, rebuilds Soldiers Field Road, and rebuilds the Turnpike where the current GJ tracks are located. See pages 16-22 of this April 2023 project task force presentation:
https://www.mass.gov/doc/allston-mu...g-april-20-2023-meeting-presentation/download

This is wishful thnking, but I can't help but think if we had a more functional civil engineering corps when it came to rail transit (or even in general) we would not have this problem. Random ideas that come to mind... 1) Temporary bridges. Probably the T can withstand 1-2 day long stretches while they move the bridge, do some work, put it back. Think of the crazy stuff they used to do for logging railroads, or even the temporary tracks they use in Europe for trams. It only needs to carry 1, max 2 trains a day. 2) Just shut down the mass pike for X days. You did it with the river tunnels. Stage it all, build the bridge, spend a month putting it in, OK we're all set.

1728655612729.png

Here's my other pitch, two alts selected. This is about 1.5 miles. Run the tracks down the middle of the road, or off to the side. It's all low-traffic areas. Cuts like a hundred miles out of the equation. We used to run fregiht trains in the middle of the road in Boston. Way easier in the suburbs.

View attachment 56724
Here's my other pitch, two alts selected. This is about 1.5 miles. Run the tracks down the middle of the road, or off to the side. It's all low-traffic areas. Cuts like a hundred miles out of the equation. We used to run fregiht trains in the middle of the road in Boston. Way easier in the suburbs.
NIMBYs would stop this in 15 minutes, plus environmental issues and maybe even 4F.

Realistically, Grand Junction will need to be down for some amount of time, and building a temporary replacement connection will almost certainly cost more than it's worth, in both time and money. The emphasis should be placed on turning the amount of time GJ is down from years (which would cripple operations) to months (which should be painful but tolerable). As far as I can tell, the only ways to do that are to either reduce the size of eventual Pike, or more likely, tolerate more disruptive construction phasing. I'm currently under the impression that MassDOT is aiming to keep 6 out 8 lanes on the Pike open the entire time, as well as one track of rail. Moving that number down to 4, and even allowing a full closure of the Pike for a short period of time, could make a quick GJ replacement more feasible. The Sumner tunnel shutdown showed that at least some people are not completely opposed to full highway closures, especially if it prevents years of continuous disruptions. The availability of SFR and increased Worcester line service could also go a long ways in providing quality alternatives.

Realistically, Grand Junction will need to be down for some amount of time, and building a temporary replacement connection will almost certainly cost more than it's worth, in both time and money. The emphasis should be placed on turning the amount of time GJ is down from years (which would cripple operations) to months (which should be painful but tolerable). As far as I can tell, the only ways to do that are to either reduce the size of eventual Pike, or more likely, tolerate more disruptive construction phasing. I'm currently under the impression that MassDOT is aiming to keep 6 out 8 lanes on the Pike open the entire time, as well as one track of rail. Moving that number down to 4, and even allowing a full closure of the Pike for a short period of time, could make a quick GJ replacement more feasible. The Sumner tunnel shutdown showed that at least some people are not completely opposed to full highway closures, especially if it prevents years of continuous disruptions. The availability of SFR and increased Worcester line service could also go a long ways in providing quality alternatives.
Ari O has a good comment along the lines of what you're talking about. I'd rather deal with some very disruptive construction phasing if it meant shaving off significant time of the overall project.

View attachment 56724
You know what two points are closer than those two? North and South stations. I keep thinking that we shouldn’t wait for the Fed to fund the NSRL. The Commonwealth could do it and It should have been built already. It’s a question of will.

The best way to minimize the disruptions is to fully fund the southside maintenance facility at Readville so construction on that can get expedited. Get southside equipment serviced down south, and you don't need to shuffle cars north and south every single day. Amtrak swaps Downeaster sets with Southampton Yard about twice a week. Set a target of only needing to do 2-3 T+Amtrak mega-lashups per week on the hospital train via a now-upgraded Worcester-Ayer route (can be done in a total of 3 hours now instead of the 5-1/2 it used to take) and you've taken the majority of the sting out of a years-long Grand Junction outage.

Back