I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Just a minor update, drove by this on Storrow today and I saw them knocking down a couple of the small buildings on site.

I can't believe this thread hasn't been updated since January! Such a huge project!

There was a Task Force Meeting for this a couple nights ago in Lower Allston--I attended, but was standing too far away to snap good photos. Fortunately, the BRA emailed me this morning that they uploaded the presentation to their website. Take a look!

If one of you has the time, perhaps you wouldn't mind taking some screen grabs from the file and posting directly to this thread. It's kind of a big file. Thanks.

Wait - what?! Well-scaled and logical street network, complete streets, moved and depressed SFR to create an at-grade connection to an esplenade, vehicular and pedestrian connections between Cambridge Street, West Station and Comm, future-proofing for air rights... This is fantastic. I'm sure there will be some nits to pick, but it actually looks like they read ArchBoston to get this to where they are.

Wait - what?! Well-scaled and logical street network, complete streets, moved and depressed SFR to create an at-grade connection to an esplenade, vehicular and pedestrian connections between Cambridge Street, West Station and Comm, future-proofing for air rights... This is fantastic. I'm sure there will be some nits to pick, but it actually looks like they read ArchBoston to get this to where they are.

Remember that this is the BRA, not MassDOT. The BRA isn't building any of this, nor are they paying for it. Soldier's Field Road is also a DCR facility, so neither agency involved in this project can move it, and the presentation admits that Houghton Chemical would need to leave to make that happen (they are holding firm, last I heard).

Remember that this is the BRA, not MassDOT. The BRA isn't building any of this, nor are they paying for it. Soldier's Field Road is also a DCR facility, so neither agency involved in this project can move it, and the presentation admits that Houghton Chemical would need to leave to make that happen (they are holding firm, last I heard).

Equilibria -- That is the key -- $$$

Here's what the document says about its purpose:
Placemaking Study: Purpose and Process
Provide a critical evaluation of the proposed MassDOT I-90 roadway and transit infrastructure to ensure that it does not preclude a range of successful urban design, economic development and neighborhood planning outcomes in the future.

Sounds like a formalized "Gripe Session" -- let's wait for the next update from MassDOT --then perhaps return to the BRA document

The highlights:

I-90A by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90B by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90C by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90D by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90E by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90F by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90G by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90H by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90I by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90J by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90K by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90L by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90M by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90N by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90O by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

I-90P by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

Can anyone shed some light on what kind of impacts construction will have on the Pike? When they closed 1 lane after the Allston toll 2 years ago, commute times nearly doubled. This is obviously far more involved construction than the median work they closed the one lane for. They can't possibly keep the Pike fully open during this construction during peak travel times can they?

can someone explain the extended (seemingly toward infinity) time frame for the lane closure? was this to facilitate the construction of the Fenway Ctr decking?

can someone explain the extended (seemingly toward infinity) time frame for the lane closure? was this to facilitate the construction of the Fenway Ctr decking?

It's for the rehab of the Comm Ave. bridge.

Is the idea to raise the street grid above current grade a new proposal? I don't recall this being part of the plan before.

A couple streets were raised before but it wasn't the whole grid.

Ive shared these before but Ill post em again to match up to what was posted above.

The highlights:

I-90B by Derek Shooster, on Flickr

2014-10-Allston-Esplanade-CAMERA_1_-Aerial_10-2-2014.jpg

Next meeting & Comment deadline

The next meeting is Wednesday, July 13 at 6:00p.m. (Fiorentino Center – 123 Antwerp Street, Allston) for additional questions, discussion, and comments on the BRA's draft Placemaking Study recommendations.

The BRA will accept written comments on the Placemaking Study recommendations through Monday, July 18. Comments can be sent to gerald.autler@boston.gov

The goal is to finalize the recommendations by the end of July so that they may become available immediately as a tool for evaluating further iterations of the design and for commenting on the upcoming DEIR.

I wonder if they'll pre-provision for air rights development and/or park decking.

....actually, no, I don't wonder that....

A couple streets were raised before but it wasn't the whole grid.

It might have been implied by the previous renders. Looking back the only way to keep the grade accessible between the street grid and the bridges over the highway would be to raise the street grid quite a bit. Just didn't realize it was going to be greater than 10' of raised elevation for a significantly large area. Also, on the other side of the tracks the elevation is going to need to be raised significantly, at least for the roads.

Re: Next meeting & Comment deadline

The next meeting is Wednesday, July 13 at 6:00p.m. (Fiorentino Center – 123 Antwerp Street, Allston) for additional questions, discussion, and comments on the BRA's draft Placemaking Study recommendations.

The BRA will accept written comments on the Placemaking Study recommendations through Monday, July 18. Comments can be sent to gerald.autler@boston.gov

The goal is to finalize the recommendations by the end of July so that they may become available immediately as a tool for evaluating further iterations of the design and for commenting on the upcoming DEIR.

How is the BRA process going to ultimately influence MassDOT?

Re: Next meeting & Comment deadline

How is the BRA process going to ultimately influence MassDOT?

MassDOT ultimately wants to sell the new parcels created. BRA controls what can be built, hence they have a lot of influence on the ultimate value of the parcels. So it is in MassDOT's interest to play along with the BRA.

BRA is doing this same type of thing with the MassDOT parcels south of the O'Neill Tunnel (Parcels 25, 26, 27). MassDOT is floating the RFP to developers, but BRA has also simultaneously issued a set of design guidelines, signalling what they would expect to approve, or not approve on the sites.

Back