In defense of Boston

I love ivy-covered walls, but ivy can actually damage them if it isn't kept under careful control.

Ron Newman said:
I love ivy-covered walls, but ivy can actually damage them if it isn't kept under careful control.
Most of the damage actually occurs when the ivy is removed; that's when you can expect some mortar to come out of the joints. When they did that at Harvard and Yale, they repointed the mortar joints --something that's often done anyway every sixty years or so.

statler said:
Rather than whine about how the mouth-breathers don't "get it", why don't you explain exactly what makes this this building so great? Do it in a way that even the knuckle-draggers can understand. Educate more, bitch less. If Einstein can turn a byzantine mathematical formula in a pop cultural icon, surely this can't be so difficult.

I'm really trying to like this building. You've already convinced me it should be saved, but nobody has done a good job of explaining why.
Well, I did your assignment, statler, but it didn't have much effect. "Understanding" doesn't do the trick.

ablarc said:
Well, I did your assignment, statler, but it didn't have much effect. "Understanding" doesn't do the trick.

I'm sorry I never replied to your post before. I've written and deleted about five different posts before I realized I'm just out of my league in this discussion.

If it's any consolation, I appreciate your effort. I learned a lot and hopefully others have too, even if it hasn't changed their minds. Plus it sparked some interesting discussion.
More knowledge is always a good thing, even it it doesn't have its intended effect.

Thank you.

Re: Question about renovation

IMAngry said:
Is it possible to save the facade, but renovate inside?
Certainly, but perhaps not exactly the way you have in mind. To an astonishing extent, this building HAS NO FACADE; inside and out are the same:

I'm thinking the typical renovation such as the Hearst Tower, in NYC.
That building has a facade and an interior. The former was kept, the latter discarded.

The existing structure is terrible, inside. It is terrible. You can't get anywhere, and it's the darkest building. No matter what floor you're on, you feel like you're in the basement.
Sounds like they need to install some lights and some signs.

Yes, so it fulfills its purpose if it is supposed to illustrate the byzantine labyrinth workings of municipal government.
That could make it a neat Turkish bazaar.

Architects love the building? Great, send in the BAC, and let them rent out all the extra space.
A really good idea.

I'm sorry I'm a little confused. I realize there was a good architect behind City Hall, and that when it was new, it was "iconic," but really, WHY WOULD YOU SAVE THIS BUILDING? It is SO ugly. My friends and I go into Boston, and I have to get off at Government Center and spit! I DON'T CARE WHO DESIGNED IT, IT SUCKS!

It's a bit more involved than simply 'who built it'.
Re-read ablarc's Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:29 am post. It may help you understand the building's context a bit better.

van or briv:

The latter few pages of this thread have to do with City Hall's architecture. Would you consider moving them to the City Hall thread, where they might be happier and easier to find?

am I the only person who thinks 111 huntington is one of the prettiest modern glass towers in the world?

I think "prettiest modern glass towers in the world" is a stretch, but I do think it's pretty. I think the Gherkin in London, Hearst Tower in NYC, Bank of China Tower, 2IFC in Hong Kong, the new IFC in Shanghai, and a bunch of others are nicer looking, but 111 Huntington is a nice tower.

well, i think because of its height, it will always be just "nice", but if it were up in the 800-900+ range, it would be a more well known building. It did actually win second place in that emporis thing if i recall correctly.

well, i think because of its height, it will always be just "nice", but if it were up in the 800-900+ range, it would be a more well known building. It did actually win second place in that emporis thing if i recall correctly.

I'm gonna have to agree with you. It is too squat as it is.

I think it's pretty, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of the prettiest in the world. For one, its proportions are off (too stout looking when viewed up close). But as a skyline element I consider it to be one of only a few bright spots on Boston's skyline, and especially so when the late-day sun hits its western face.

"prettiest modern glass towers in the world"

I don't think we can have this conversation without mentioning these towers.

111 Huntington is stubby and, as a result, devoid of grace. An additional 25 floors would have likely helped. That said, it's nothing that Helmut Jahn or Philip Johnson wouldn't have done in the 80's.

111 reminds me of a car aerial that failed to fully extend or retract.

10 -15 -08 beautiful but stumpy! Imagine if this was taller than the Pru!
135.jpg

Back