Intermed - as it develops (now officially a high-rise)

I never understood how that building was going to house 400 students or whatever they said. I never knew until driving by at a certain angle that the building was actual splits in two like the letter V.

They just moved the Miss Portland Diner to it's location right next to the Student housing today. I didn't realize how close they were going to put it. It's like literally 50 feet away.

950marginalwayimg1858bq4.jpg

Really nice picture of Intermed southbound on Marginal Way with MMC and new Women&Infants Bldg in background - Great Job Corey!

Good picture.

Off topic, but I inquired about the student housing at the new building there just out of curiousity... It's going to cost $695 per student for a a spot in one of those apartments (4 br/ 2 bath suites). So that would equal about $2800 for four people; that's obscene, especially for Portland. Granted, it includes all utilities, but you can find a 4 bedroom apartment or townhouse anywhere in town for about 1/2 of that price. I can't see paying that kind of money when I can get a two bedroom with heat/hw included, have a roomate and be right in town for about $400-500 per person (incl. cable and electric costs). Way overpriced for student housing.

*Edit* I was mistaken about the price... I was offered a "special" pre-opening rate of $675, the rent is listed at $775 per bedroom on the website. below is the email I received:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your interest in Bayside Village Student Housing! I received your information through the win the free CYY room at Bayside Village contest. What school are you attending? Bayside Village is set to open by August 25th, 2008! That is just in time for students to move-in before the fall semester! All of our brand new apartments are set as 4-bedroom/2-bath suite style. You can come into our housing alone or with friends. Each private bedroom is leased out, so you would sign your own lease and share a bathroom with 1 person and a full-sized kitchen and spacious living room. All of our apartments are furnished with modern and brand new furniture! The rental price per month/per person is currently at a special pre-opening price of $675 and that includes all of your utilities (water/sewer, electricity, gas, Time Warner Cable and High-Speed Internet, and furniture). We are now leasing at the special $675 per month amount, which will be ending very soon. Don't forget our Resident Referral Program too! Please either email or call me with questions and let me know what you think about Bayside Village!!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Lori

[cid:image001.gif@01C8AAC6.1DAA84A0]

Lori B. Mattson, CPO, FHC

Leasing Director

Realty Resources

Bayside Village Student Housing

www.baysidevillagemaine.com<http://www.baysidevillagemaine.com/>

lmattson@realtyresourcesgroup.com<mailto:lmattson@realtyresourcesgroup.com>

Last edited:
I had the same reaction when I learned how much they are charging.

It just seems silly to me to pay a premium to live in a 'kind of' dorm (they have RA's I believe) and live with 3 roommates when you can live on your own or with other roommates if you choose for less. For $2,000+ a month I would rather live on a condo on the water with a deck and a boat slip.

I wonder if there is a waiting list for rooms yet? I image most of the students living here (just generalizing) will be out-of-state students whose parents aren't concerned about the pricetag.

^I'm still an out of state student (albeit using a in instate vacation property as my address for tuition purposes) and when I showed my father (who, ehem, subsidizes my education) the prices, he let out a good laugh. Last I heard, as of April 25, there is no waiting list, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is because of the price.

Most colleges have setups like this and I'd have to agree with you, Corey, I can't imagine paying that type of money when you could split a 3 or 4 bedroom condo on the waterfront for less per person.

I guess it will be ideal for, like you said, people coming from out of state, who don't know anyone here, and who's parents either don't care, or are completely unaware of area rental costs. It's not even an easy enough walk to call it a convenient [pedestrian] distance from the campus.

In any case, back on topic. I've enjoyed watching Intermed (and the Bayside Student Housing) rise over the past year. I'm heading back to MA for the summer tomorrow, so I won't be able to see the project first hand, so I look forward to your photo updates.

How could you take a picture from an angle that makes it look so short? I'm ashamed of you Patrick.

As far as the student housing, I don't think that's a bad price at all, especially with what it includes. I think if you are coming to the area and already know 2 or 3 people, then yeah, get an apartment. I think this at least gives kids that college experience though, unlike living in an apartment with drug dealers above you and dude with a set of drums below you.

Good bayside glacier update Patrick!

They have the brick around some of the parking structure now, looks interesting. I might kind of miss the slick gray look it currently has when they start stacking all the bricks.

Intermed is lookin' good! Now if we can get rid of that junkyard...! Anyway, are there any plans for the parcel next door to the student housing (another possible "backbone"/skyline blocker)?

No plans yet. the plans that will begin to take shape are to the left of the pictures. they include new medical office, a 9 story condo, and a parking garage. they will be built in back of the brick buildings on the left of marginal way

also, waterview is to start construction this summer, according to a mailing I got

Lets hope the crappy economy doesn't derail any of these future projects. Waterview is still a possibility...I thought that was dead a long time ago.

The Intermed sign on the top of the building is now lit up at night. I'm not very pleased with it's lack of brightness. It's blue and very hard to see. Light that up dammit!

Back