Issue with "New Posts" functionality

Reaction score
This has been a long standing issue I've experienced. I'm not sure if it is just inherent in this version of the forum software or if it's something that can be fixed.

When I click on New Posts it will show all the threads with unread posts like it's supposed to - but only once. Usually, I'll go to New Posts and click on a few threads that I'm interested in while leaving others unread for later. The problem is when I go back New Posts after having closed the page, the threads I never clicked on have disappeared as if I've viewed them, when I have not. This really diminishes the functionality of the New Posts feature.

This has been a long standing issue I've experienced. I'm not sure if it is just inherent in this version of the forum software or if it's something that can be fixed.

When I click on New Posts it will show all the threads with unread posts like it's supposed to - but only once. Usually, I'll go to New Posts and click on a few threads that I'm interested in while leaving others unread for later. The problem is when I go back New Posts after having closed the page, the threads I never clicked on have disappeared as if I've viewed them, when I have not. This really diminishes the functionality of the New Posts feature.

It cannot be fixed. "New Posts" utilizes a cookie that is updated per session. Once you click the new posts, you can click it multiple times in a session, but once you leave the site and come a back, the cookie is updated with the posts since your last visit and clears out any older ones that you hadn't seen.

It cannot be fixed.

Why not? I can't recall ever having this problem with any forum but this one. In fact, I don't think this forum even always had this problem.

When I first started using aB, I'm pretty sure I could leave posts unread, come back the next day, and they'd still be unread. IIRC.

Why not? I can't recall ever having this problem with any forum but this one. In fact, I don't think this forum even always had this problem.

When I first started using aB, I'm pretty sure I could leave posts unread, come back the next day, and they'd still be unread. IIRC.

It's standard behavior in vBulletin 3.x. vBulletin has since worked to improve the "new posts" intelligence (similar to how Outlook marks messages as "read" and "unread") in later versions. vBulletin is already at Version 5 and we are still using the dinosaur that is 3.7, which is 7 years old and lacks tons of functionality that would be useful on this board.

It's standard behavior in vBulletin 3.x. vBulletin has since worked to improve the "new posts" intelligence (similar to how Outlook marks messages as "read" and "unread") in later versions. vBulletin is already at Version 5 and we are still using the dinosaur that is 3.7, which is 7 years old and lacks tons of functionality that would be useful on this board.

Would upgrading cost Briv money? Or is it time intensive? Would all the current posts be lost in an upgrade?

(Why don't we upgrade?)

Would upgrading cost Briv money? Or is it time intensive? Would all the current posts be lost in an upgrade?

(Why don't we upgrade?)

All posts would be saved. Upgrades are seamless when kept on the vB platform. It of course costs money (and aB has no ads, hence no revenue), but I've indicated multiple times on here that I'm willing to help breathe some life into this place including on the platform side.

How much are we talking? I'd kick in a donation if it meant better forums and being able to break up my browsing into smaller chunks.

How much are we talking? I'd kick in a donation if it meant better forums and being able to break up my browsing into smaller chunks.

Upgrade license to vB 5.0 is $209.00 (one-time charge).

I'd also be happy to contribute. No joke, I owe a lot of my knowledge and goals regarding the city and my career to this site.

Briv barely logs on to the forum anymore.

With nothing but respect for what Briv has done for ArchBoston, I think it's time we organize an election for a new administrator.

Briv barely logs on to the forum anymore.

With nothing but respect for what Briv has done for ArchBoston, I think it's time we organize an election for a new administrator.

I just want the archboston awards back:(

I just want the archboston awards back:(

I do as well. That would be a top priority for me to restore.

Also, it is encouraging to see your generosity, everyone. Let's try to get the ball rolling on breathing some new life into this place. There's a ton of untapped potential that I believe is here.

Just keep in mind that nothing happens without Briv either doing it or handing over keys. Unless people want to start something new.

Unless people want to start something new.

That's absolutely not what any of us want. The hardest part of running a forum is getting people to use it regularly. We have a bustling community of loyal members and a decent stream of new members discovering us. We could have a higher discovery rate with things like Tapatalk integration and other outreach efforts to make browsing smoother on mobile. Beside tech improvements, the administration and moderators just need to engage with the community more. Otherwise, the posting here simply remains stale. Something like the aB Awards livens up the place and is a departure from the usual "this building sucks/this building is the end of Boston" banter in every thread here.

^Yes!

Also, I would absolutely volunteer time/effort to creating some new annual aB awards. They are one of my favorite parts of this forum.

Back