Jamaica Plain Infill and Small Developments

Gack. The above is a rogues' gallery of dreck. Turtle Swamp is the only thing here with even a whiff of authenticity. Do better Boston.

There's nothing new at Turtle Swamp, just a paint job.

I think 3389 Washington(next to Turtle Swamp) is fine. Fits in with other buildings in the neighborhood. Turtle Swamp now has the taps in the left part of the building and has added more indoor space quite recently. One of the best patios in JP(not saying much).

3353 Washington a block away has been approved for a 45 unit building but nothing is happening. The buildings they are supposed to tear down have For Rent signs in the windows.

Beeline, Thanks for all the updates.
I do wonder what the red building will look like once the GC remembers that it was supposed to have stairs and porches.

Beeline, Thornton St is in Roxbury.

The project was supposed to be completed over a year ago, I can tell you that. Whoever is in charge of this project should be ashamed of themselves. They used 2 months of bad winter as an excuse for the project being 18 months behind schedule.

Way late to this, but:
A year was lost pre-construction while the Mass Historic Commission considered the conversion of Shea Circle to Shea Square.
Then the two months of blizzards you cite delayed the start of demolition.
Then a year was lost because MBTA failed to procure the T-platform jet fans needed to extend the Orange Line platform north to the new head house, which impacted progress in the central portion of the project.
Then many months more were lost over MBTA's slow design process for the Upper Busway roof and on the steel procurement for it.

It's semantics, and frustrating either way, but in my view the bulk of the delays should be attributed to MHC and MBTA foot-dragging rather than on MassHighway or the contractor (Barletta Heavy Division). The fans and busway were originally outside the project contract - and MBTA's responsibility.

I must say, most of that infill in the photos above looks quite nice! No crazy mis-mash of materials. No asymmetric windows. Not too much VEing. No ugly driveways or parking structures.

TCB-PineStreet%20-%20Streetview%2002%5B1%5D.jpg

“The Pine Street Inn and a leading developer of affordable housing are planning to build what would be Boston’s largest complex of permanent supportive housing for homeless people, on Washington Street in Jamaica Plain”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/03/12/pine-pitches-permanant-housing-complex-for-homeless/gAv5Oo0rkVIjmU2xsDPLxJ/amp.html
https://www.bankerandtradesman.com/pine-street-inn-plans-large-affordable-project-in-jp/

Back