Jeremiah Burke High School - Dorchester

Pierce

Reaction score
As a frequent reader of this board I thought I had my finger well on the pulse of new construction in Boston but somehow I missed this (and a cursory search makes it seem the board did too). I stumbled across it as I flipped through the latest Architectural Record over breakfast this morning.....

SCH_BBH-03.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/schools/09_Burke_High.asp

This might be worth comparing to the new Cambridge Public Library expansion, if anyone (not me) has been to both buildings lately.

I live about 5 mins down the road and never heard of this?

Haha, I stumbled upon this a few years ago while streetviewing my way around Dorchester. Course at that point it was just so much steel.

It would certainly add appeal for residential development, but I'm guessing this isn't zoned for residential?

I've attended a few meetings in the library and community center (although not the Burke's auditorium, which looked great in the photo). The library space is terrific. Although there's nothing much to look at across the street, the Grove Hall Mecca Mall is a recent development diagonally across the street. It has improved the Blue Hill Ave streetscape (although on the interior its just another mini mall). Between Mecca, the new library, and some improved storefronts, Grove Hall is looking pretty good these days.

This might be worth comparing to the new Cambridge Public Library expansion, if anyone (not me) has been to both buildings lately.

That's funny you say that. After seeing the Cambridge Library addition, the first thing that popped into my mind was the Hyde Park BPL addition, which was done by the same architects responsible for the Burke addition.

Has anyone seen this building--the Burke--in person? Someone needs to nominate this for best of 09.

I've attended a few meetings in the library and community center (although not the Burke's auditorium, which looked great in the photo). The library space is terrific. Although there's nothing much to look at across the street, the Grove Hall Mecca Mall is a recent development diagonally across the street. It has improved the Blue Hill Ave streetscape (although on the interior its just another mini mall). Between Mecca, the new library, and some improved storefronts, Grove Hall is looking pretty good these days.
Can you post a few pictures to demonstrate this?

The reason I ask is that eons ago I was involved in one of the [I must assume] numerous "efforts" to re-vivify Grove Hall.

The effort went nowhere, since the "community"'s "developer" was clearly on the take. Skim off the funds and display a few drawings ... that's all you need to do.

Bet that happened more than once.

I'll have a car tomorrow so I'll drive that way to work and will try to get some pixs

this morning
231-5.jpg
233-3.jpg
238-4.jpg
239-5.jpg
240-5.jpg
243-6.jpg
244-4.jpg
249-6.jpg
took these while driveing as always,took some of Grove Hall and will post later! This was nice addition but surrounded by too much blight!

Last edited:
"Cool now" and "zeitgeistastic" are both dead on i think, but I would argue that the same could be said for much of Hugh Stubbins or Carl Koch's work around town, much of which are elegant little gems, however easy to date they may be.... There is something to be said for tasteful work, whether it falls within the range of current trends or not.

Back