Jeremiah Burke High School - Dorchester

But the materials this is made of suggest pure tentativeness. It even looks temporary.

^How so? I look over this time and again and for the life of me cannot see tentative, temporary...fragile, vulnerable, perhaps.

There is something to be said for tasteful work, whether it falls within the range of current trends or not.

+1

But the materials this is made of suggest pure tentativeness. It even looks temporary.

The metal cladding probably speaks to the addition's light-industrial context. I'd have preferred a masonry cladding, like the slat tiles on the Honan-Allston Library.

allston_library2.jpg

Still, a nice piece of work.

+1
I'd have preferred a masonry cladding, like the slat tiles on the Honan-Allston Library.

Here's as good a place as any to show some shots of a similar stone-cladding with marble (long story about a temporary impasse between benefactor and architect about materiality, technology and what is appropriate for a design school building--and a rare case of the resolution not being a compromise but a improvement on both ideas). This is at one of my alma maters, the Knowlton School of Architecture at Ohio State:

zooming in
3503528207_1f55a5f650.jpg

2942186880_a74f789df2_b.jpg

2941322731_0ac895881d_b.jpg

2942177572_3e8edc369e_b.jpg

grove hall
202-2.jpg
242-5.jpg
235-5.jpg
241-5.jpg
242-5.jpg
204-2.jpg
this was next door to the high school
207.jpg
208-1.jpg
209-1.jpg
210-2.jpg
212-1.jpg
213-1.jpg
214-1.jpg
215-2.jpg
216-2.jpg
217-1.jpg
2177.jpg
218-1.jpg
219-2.jpg
220-2.jpg
221-2.jpg
222-2.jpg
223-2.jpg
224-1.jpg
225-2.jpg
229-1.jpg
226-1.jpg
some new costruction
227-1.jpg
228-2.jpg
231-2.jpg
232-1.jpg

Wow, a lot of great building stock there.

Too bad the Mecca Mall looks like a stucco strip mall shipped in from Scottsdale.

The Mecca Mall says "this area is being invested in" even if it does look out of place. It works as a contrast between old and new because this area has really nice old bones, from the photos at least (I need to get out on foot and really explore this area more).

there is a lot of newer and new construction going on more so towards Roxbury deffinitly an interesting area of Boston

(I need to get out on foot and really explore this area more).

When you go, be sure to check out Harris Park (Harold Street about 10 blocks nw), Elm Hill Park (5 blocks north on the east side of Warren) and the "W" streets on the west side of Warren. The residential built environment here is at least on par with its gentrified cousins north of the river, and oftentimes superior.

When you go, be sure to check out Harris Park (Harold Street about 10 blocks nw), Elm Hill Park (5 blocks north on the east side of Warren) and the "W" streets on the west side of Warren. The residential built environment here is at least on par with its gentrified cousins north of the river, and oftentimes superior.

Right on, Horatio Harris Park is this city's best unknown open space. It is an absolute little gem, as is the housing stock that surrounds it.

I believe the construction pic in 02124's photos is taken of this:

kasanof.jpg

The Kasanof Bakery mixed-use project on Blue Hill Ave.

thats nice! This is a huge site,there was alot of projects going on ,but I was going to work and did'nt have much time to take more pixs! I live in Dorchester center(Codman Sq.) about 4 miles away and I consider Codman Sq. the worst downtown area in Boston despite being surrounded by 4-800.000+ dollar homes(Melville pk/Ashmont Hill)Time to start a Dorchester thread!

Back