Kendal Square Residential

Ron Newman said:
I was by there again this week, and I'm pretty sure this is an industrial building.
And all those windows are for factory workers to gaze dreamily outward?

This building is a parody of architecture. I wonder if it is intentional or not. Either way, it's a nightmare.

short update on Constellation Center

From the Cambridge Chronicle, June 12
http://www.townonline.com/cambridge/news/x1636725948

The City Council is expected to approve plans for the Constellation Center, a four-theater hall performance center for a range of artistic genres. Construction on the center is expected to start next year and the hall could open its doors in three years. The center is part a 10-acre research and residential park development in Kendall Square.

img4332fd0.jpg

Is this Cambridge or Waltham?

I like this much better than the above. There seemed to be some similar structures in the works for North Point. A new humanist-modern vernacular for Cambridge, vaguely influenced by the Sponge?

^^^ Like the massing, could do without the yellow...More late-James Stirling than Steven Holl IMHO...

Wow, that building is awesome. Hahah wow I love the striped walls, although the yellow is a little overly bright

I too like the yellow, but I agree with BostonBoy in that it's too bright. It could've gotten it's point across even better if it were just a little bit softer.

Regardless, we need more of this. Dare I say it, I wouldn't mind getting some more of the kooky stuff next door, either.

Too bright? No way. Boston could use more color...the triple-decker stock would be tremendously improved with some bright hues - or anything other than pale green, beige, and maroon, actually.

Agree with czsz.

Btw, the yellow will get dull all by itself with the passage of time. Dull is what colors become with age. In a year you'll have your wish.

Meantime, I agree it provides a note of cheer in this dour district.

Re: short update on Constellation Center

Ron Newman said:
From the Cambridge Chronicle, June 12
http://www.townonline.com/cambridge/news/x1636725948

The City Council is expected to approve plans for the Constellation Center, a four-theater hall performance center for a range of artistic genres. Construction on the center is expected to start next year and the hall could open its doors in three years. The center is part a 10-acre research and residential park development in Kendall Square.

I think these banners across from the Genzyme building are relatively new:

constellationgd6.jpg

Looks like the project is also getting a new website:

http://www.constellationcenter.org/

If only those banner images were representative of what was coming and not just stock culled by some graphic designer off Corbis...

czsz said:
If only those banner images were representative of what was coming and not just stock culled by some graphic designer off Corbis...

There was a piece in the Globe about 18-months ago that talked about the exhaustive acoustic research that Constellation's principal backer, Glenn KnicKrehm, has done towards the project. He's recorded the "signature" of dozens of concert halls (most in Europe, some in Asia and South America) in an effort to create the same result in Cambridge, and get it right the first time. On a personal note, I have a friend who's met with him a couple of times about involvement with fundraising for the project - Mr. KnicKrehm's a couple of beers short of a six-pack.

ablarc said:
^ Would be nice if it were real.

And nicer still if it were being built on City Hall Plaza.

Kendall-related:

bos_kendallsquareone.jpg

Beal, Rockwood Unveil One Kendall Sq. Plan
By Joe Clements
GlobeSt.com

CAMBRIDGE, MA?Much like the surrounding East Cambridge business district, One Kendall Square is being reinvented once again, this time thanks to a $10 million makeover of the 676,000-sf multi-use park. Incorporating a design from Elkus/Manfredi Architects Ltd., the Beal Cos. and Rockwood Capital Corp. will upgrade landscaping and signage, as well as facades and lobbies at a nine-building complex whose commercial legacy dates to 1887 when constructed as a plant to manufacture fire hoses.
?It has been our vision since we purchased the property to unify the spaces and provide a sense of place, tying each of the buildings together,? explains Stephen Faber, VP of asset management for the Beal Cos., a Boston-based real estate firm that acquired One Kendall Sq. with Rockwood in April 2006 for $210 million. Money will also be deployed to modernize the mechanical and technological infrastructure, says Faber. His firm apprised One Kendall Sq. tenants and brokers of the ambitious program at an on-site presentation prior to the public announcement.

The overhaul is occurring just as Cambridge?s core office market launches a corresponding rebirth, emerging perhaps stronger than ever after being rocked during the most recent regional recession. According to Jones Lang LaSalle, the availability rate for Cambridge?s 16.1 million-sf inventory is down to 10.2% from a high of 24% reached in 2003. The average rental rate has recovered to $34.24 per sf for office space after plunging into the $20?s per sf, with East Cambridge continuing to lead the way.

Aided by a location in the heart of that 12-million-sf district, One Kendall Sq. has retained a strong tenant roster, attracting the likes of Genzyme Corp., Idenix Pharmaceuticals and PricewaterhouseCoopers. There have been several ownership changes, however, with predecessors to Beal/Rockwood including Beacon Capital Partners, Lincoln Property Co. and JE Robert Co. The 10-acre park was originally restored in the 1980s after Boston?s office building boom made Cambridge?s industrial wasteland a viable alternative for high-end office and laboratory users. One Kendall Sq. offers space for both functions. There is also a mix of entertainment, retail and restaurants, a nine-screen independent movie theater and 1,500-vehicle parking garage.

The restoration will be the first major investment of the complex in nearly 20 years, according to the owners, and will be focused on a seven-building block south of Binney St. Boston-based Elkus/Manfredi, a nationally known practice familiar with all three primary uses at One Kendall Sq., is making the space more comfortable for occupants and attractive to both clients and potential tenants, says Faber. The One Kendall Sq. name will remain the same, but a new logo and branding is being created as part of the park?s new millennium platform.

Here's some more of the goofy office building

img7297pf0.jpg

a trainwreck and a half
img7304wk7.jpg

img7307wh1.jpg

img7311yd4.jpg

at least it's contextual with its neighbor, right?

img7309ie7.jpg

img7312mz0.jpg

Here's another project I didn't notice until today, at 125 6th Street. It was a shell for a while but is now being fitted out for the Cambridge police department as their new headquarters (more on this here: http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPD/News/NewsDetail.cfm?story_id=1321 ). It's quite the handsome building, unlike its neighbor to the south

img7298oo7.jpg

this one is almost medieval!

img7300yy6.jpg

any new building that uses rough-cut stone gets a "kudos" from me

img7301ug6.jpg

img7303ke5.jpg

I believe that construction on the Constellation center has begun, as of Thursday or Friday. Although, the equipment on site and the dirt their pushing around could be related to the construction scene further down the street. Maybe they're using Constellation Center as a staging area? Anyways, the new website is not up and running yet.

Also, does anybody know what that gaping hole is next to the power plant with all of the steel supports running through it? There has been a lot of heavy machinery around there, I think that they might be filling it in or something.

Also, does anybody know what that gaping hole is next to the power plant with all of the steel supports running through it? There has been a lot of heavy machinery around there, I think that they might be filling it in or something.
Do you remember who the contractor is? There are several gaping holes, one is MITs for Sloan. Another nearby was/is a big concrete pit. Barry took over as contractor there after work had stopped for a long while.

Back