Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

keeping a stupid giant neon (yeah yeah -- i know it's LEDs now) advertisement for an oil company controlled by a wildly corrupt and cruel government in order to help "facilitate" the late-night return trips of drunken BU kids after a night on the town would be a weak argument even by the Freep's standards. BU may not attract the very best and brightest, but presumably anyone who gained acceptance is clever enough to figure out how to navigate a small city -- even at night and somewhat impaired.
My comment was tongue and cheek, which is also often the case for the Freep, which specializes in a cross between satire and feigned outrage. That said, there was no need to make an ass out of yourself by slamming the quality of students at a top ranked university.

My comment was tongue and cheek, which is also often the case for the Freep, which specializes in a cross between satire and feigned outrage. That said, there was no need to make an ass out of yourself by slamming the quality of students at a top ranked university.
I went to BU and don’t consider anything I wrote to constitute “slamming” anyone. Settle down Beavis, before you make an ass of yourself.

Last edited:
There's A TON of hostility on the board the last few weeks, I wonder what that's all about
I recommend to anyone to do an intense workout at the health club every day, like I do. It works out a lot of bad vibes.

Mods need to start cracking down on the sniping. I think we have added folks from Reddit recently and the behavior from /r/Boston is leaking into here.

10/28/21 - Love the new sign

10_28_21 b.jpg

I'm only 40 something, but the Citgo sign has been embedded in my brain since my first Sox game when I was 4.

That said, that piece of ... needs to go. Venezuela, yes. Contribution to this horrible building, yes. Continued interference with modernizing an entire area, yes. Who pays to light this thing?

Constructive solution:. Move it (or just make a new one) as part of Lansdowne redev proposed by the Red Sox. Only turn it on only when the Sox or other major event is happening at Fenway. It would function as a beacon similar to the old Hancock (red is rainy, blinking red stormy, unless it's sunny in which case the Sox are playing). All the drunks can have the beacon they need, and the sign will be transformed into a pop-art piece designating an entertainment zone.

Otherwise, "Whoop (there it is)"

Who would have thought the worlds most random sign was all it would take to turn the tides on this one. What a turn around it has been. This went from the single most hated building on ab to the ppls champ. Dont hate the player I guess.

Who would have thought the worlds most random sign was all it would take to turn the tides on this one.
Kenmore Square North is still a cheap, ugly and flimsy building, but at least the WHOOP sign does draw the eye away from it and does add a little flair to that abysmal failure.

Last edited:
If it does, it needs to fail dark if the WH cannot light up. Otherwise, it’s going to make lots of meme-worthy photos that make the company look foolish.

The sign should be extended to "WHOOP DE DOO" or the even more appropriate "WHOOP DE DOO/s"

Im interested to see how the ground floor turns out. Those bricks in the render do not match reality though. Hopefully theres lots of retail packed in here.
Screen%20Shot%202021-05-10%20at%2012.40.27%20PM.png

If it does, it needs to fail dark if the WH cannot light up. Otherwise, it’s going to make lots of meme-worthy photos that make the company look foolish.
Years ago the sign on the old Hotel Essex downtown had 4 letters unlighted. The last 2 of the first word and the first 2 of the second woes. I figured it was due to truth in advertising.

Back