Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

There is no mention of that site in the BU IMP. My guess is that BU has some long range plans for the site along with the classroom building (former auto parts shop) and the 575 Comm dorm (former HoJo). Possibly a mixed use project with Retail etc. on the first floor and BU departments above.
A friend is a prof at BU in a department angling for a new building. This is one of the spots where a new academic building could go, but not the top priority one as far as can be told. It seems like his dep't is getting a building on a lot on Bay State Road back behind the old, main buildings on Comm Ave.

After the Hotel Buckminster across the street is demolished to become a lab, I'm half-expecting a 'THERE IT IS!' sign to go up as a response to the 'WHOOP' sign. It would be a signage 'call and response' from hell.

After the Hotel Buckminster across the street is demolished to become a lab, I'm half-expecting a 'THERE IT IS!' sign to go up as a response to the 'WHOOP' sign. It would be a signage 'call and response' from hell.
Good one. I'm also expecting a supplemental sign under the WHOOP sign that says:
"Home of the world famous WHOOP Burger".

It’s a party wall. Someone probably has a design for the Double Whoop next door sitting on a computer somewhere.

Theyre supposedly going to convert the building to labs, which would be the most expensive conversion ever, but my hope is instead of deciding to demo it they decide to turn it into apartments.

And on top of the Hotel Commonwealth, there will be a big, "shakalaka...shakalaka...shakalaka" sign.

"This is, undoubtedly, one of the _______ buildings ever built."
I would insert "fugliest and cheap-looking".

1636771856980.png

Back