Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research | MIT | Cambridge

Re: MIT - Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research

There are very few, if any, research laboratory buildings with ground floor retail.

Across the street from Koch the Broad at 7CC has a Sebastian's "restaurant" and that's a research building. Koch's street-front is a large expanse that doesn't engage with the street.

Well, Koch does have a place to get food inside. Across the street at Whitehead is a better place to get lunch.

CZ, BD, Urb, et al:

Once again Koch is a part of the main academic and research campus of MIT -- the only existing building at MIT in the academic / research cluster with any retail (other than the student center and dining halls) is Stata Center with an internal food shop

Having public art is about as public as such a building s likely to ever become

Many of the research buildings with very very expensive facilities and sensitive laboratory areas go out of their way to protect the facilities by restricting the public through key-card entry -- Koch is actually very open

Last edited:

Excuses, excuses...the fact that it's part of the research cluster and therefore somehow can't be mixed-use isn't a justification, it's the problem itself.

You don't need to give the public keycard access to the whole building to carve out retail space at the base that's only accessible from the street.

Excuses, excuses...the fact that it's part of the research cluster and therefore somehow can't be mixed-use isn't a justification, it's the problem itself.

You don't need to give the public keycard access to the whole building to carve out retail space at the base that's only accessible from the street.

CZ -- True -- But irrelevant -- not every building has to be equipped with a Starbucks, DD or CVS in order to be interesting to a pedestrian

For example -- yesterday on my way home from the Stuart Street area, I drove down a bit of Beacon St before getting on Storrow -- I didn't see any retail activity - although I saw quite a few people walking

In fact most people with whom I'm acquainted, don't mind walking a couple of blocks down Beacon St. or even Commonwealth Ave., -- and this is despite the near total lack of retail "carve-outs" in the Back Bay Brownstones, some of which are residential and some of which house institutions

I think that if you provide the pedestrian with something to look at when they are walking past a facade such as big windows with displays then you don't necessarily need to stuff retail into every building -- so for example we have:

Traditional Dept. store windows
or an exhibit (e.g. MIT Museum) or art in a window such as Koch

What is banal and causes the "I think that I'll cross to the other side of the street effect" -- blank institutional walls with no windows at ground level -- e.g. the prime example -- Johnson's addition to the BPL -- bunkerization at its worst

Koch has a public art gallery on the ground floor.

http://ki-galleries.mit.edu/

Stel -- yesterday I was driving on Galileo Way (Novartis on one side Whitehead on the other)
waiting for the light to turn onto Main

The Koch and a corner of the Stata were directly across Main -- contrary to the opinion of some on this thread:
I noticed quite a few pedestrians on both sides of Main -- several on the Koch side were apparently looking at the visuals easily seen through the large windows

I didn't see anything that told me this was anti-pedestrian or anti-urban

Of course I was in a car -- so I couldn't be sure that the pedestrians weren't cursing the ground under their feet

:=}

PS: Just saw this on the Koch website
http://ki.mit.edu/

Join us for a series of evening programs that bring together diverse expert perspectives to discuss emerging cancer solutions.

The next program will take place on March 5, 2012, and will celebrate the opening of a new exhibition of biomedical images at the Koch Institute and explore the art and science behind the images.

Last edited:

CZ -- True -- But irrelevant -- not every building has to be equipped with a Starbucks, DD or CVS in order to be interesting to a pedestrian

For example -- yesterday on my way home from the Stuart Street area, I drove down a bit of Beacon St before getting on Storrow -- I didn't see any retail activity - although I saw quite a few people walking

In fact most people with whom I'm acquainted, don't mind walking a couple of blocks down Beacon St. or even Commonwealth Ave., -- and this is despite the near total lack of retail "carve-outs" in the Back Bay Brownstones, some of which are residential and some of which house institutions

These aren't exactly parallel analogies.

Beacon St. and Commonwealth Ave. are residential streets. They don't have a mix of retail and dead zones of nothing. They're also steps away from shops and services on Newbury and Boylston.

Kendall desperately needs more shopping and dining options and Main Street -- where there already are a few -- is a logical place for them to be to encourage this area to become a continuous and inviting streetscape.

Hopefully there's some way for the Koch to be reconfigured in this respect. After all, no one is complaining a century on that Newbury's houses were converted to retail...

Well, sure. A building doesn't have to be "anti-pedestrian" or "anti-urban". All it needs to be is neutral in respect of each quality and the urbanity or pedestrianness of the area fails to gain much thereby.

One set of doors for a 300 foot stretch of Main Street, Cambridge, USA isn't very pro-urban.

6858064037_d43682aef9_b.jpg

One set of doors for a 300 foot stretch of Main Street, Cambridge, USA isn't very pro-urban.

6858064037_d43682aef9_b.jpg

No -- if it was a blank wall -- then I'd buy the argument

You seem to be obsessed with doors and urbanity -- but there is no real connection unless your hobby is randomly entering and leaving doors when you are waking

Most people are more reposeful -- especially today when you iphone or Android tablet can be directing you to a particular shop on a particular street

As a pedestrian with a lot of experience walking around cities -- I and most people I know are repelled by dark, dingy, shadowy streets with no people. Obviously a row of small shops with people scurrying in/out is the antithesis.

However, short of a street-scape that seem dangerous --- then the next worst street for a pedestrian is one that is totally boring - where there are long blank walls with perhaps a loading dock.

Next worst is the boring block -- a nominally busy street with a large institutional blank wall -- e.g. the Newbry on Boylston when it was still the New England Mutual Insurance Building or the old John Hancock

Koch's wall is all windows -- and they have things inside which from time to time will change -- this is much like the traditional department store in DTX 9e.g. Filene's or the old Jordan Marsh) -- these buildings had 1 set of doors per block -- but a lot of windows with things in them

Given that the Koch occupies a prominent corner -- providing a gateway to the MIT campus from the North -- the area will be busy.

Note that as MIT develops the Northern edge of the campus -- there are has plans to enhance the entire Main St. experience with more shops and food places. There are specific street corners on Main such as Ames, Carleton, Hayward streets, as well as the alley / plaza near the Kendal/MIT/Cambridge Center T stop that are specifically targeted for retail development at the ground level

http://www.kendallsquareinitiative.org/

goal.jpg

or see see the following as evidence of the "urban Kendall" from various media
http://www.kendallsq.com/news
http://radioboston.wbur.org/2011/02/01/kendall-square
http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N2/chipotle.html
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/17/phantom-gourmet-new-kendall-square-restaurants/
http://www.paddleboston.com/kendall.php
New Kendall Square restaurant set up to host bio events like this one

07 Dec 2011 | 17:46 GMT | Posted by Tinker Ready | Category: Boston Research, Boston science, food science, News

When new drug development company H3 decided to throw a party to launch the opening of Kendall Square labs and offices, organizers didn’t have to go very far. They took the elevator downstairs.

Last week, local researchers, bio boosters and lots of men in dark suits from the Japanese drug company Eisai gathered in the trendy meetings room at the new Catalyst restaurant.
http://blogs.nature.com/boston/2011...urant-set-up-to-host-bio-events-like-this-one

Westie, the new Novartis building on Mass Ave was build with a similarly open-glass ground floor, and similarly has one main entrance to the actual building. In fact, in its final stages of construction it looked very similar to the picture you posted.

img0974rv0.jpg

But, today, the ground floor is used by Flour Bakery and an upscale wine retailer. You can't tell me that the ground floor and street experience is no better in that instance.

Westie, the new Novartis building on Mass Ave was build with a similarly open-glass ground floor, and similarly has one main entrance to the actual building. In fact, in its final stages of construction it looked very similar to the picture you posted.

img0974rv0.jpg

But, today, the ground floor is used by Flour Bakery and an upscale wine retailer. You can't tell me that the ground floor and street experience is no better in that instance.

Shep -- if I was in need of wine or baked goods -- of course

However if I was just passing by en-route to someplace else -- I wouldn't really care what was behind those doors

What makes for a good pedestrian experience depends on your focus and what you are doing -- I think I can ID the bad environments as I did a few postings back -- but picking a great one generically is difficult as it depends so much on the specifics.

On a warm but not oppressive summer day -- you can't top a stroll along the inner harbor from the North End along the fingers of Rowes Wharf to the Old Northern Ave. Bridge -- mid winter on a blustery day that is not a favorite

Strolling on Newbury St. is great most of the time -- unless you are in a hurry to get from the Public Garden to the Pru -- then a much quieter and less busy Comm Ave is superior

However if I was just passing by en-route to someplace else -- I wouldn't really care what was behind those doors

You're thinking about "pedestrian experience" too narrowly in terms of a process of getting from here to there by means of walking. Yes, I get it, I can walk from here to there no matter what so long as I feel safe.

I encourage you to think more broadly in terms of "pedestrian lifestyle" - this is what we are really talking about. It's true that perhaps 95% of the time you walk past the Novartis building you will need neither gourmet bakery product nor specialty wine - and so the ground level is irrelevant to your particular walk. However, should you - or more to the point, should someone who lives or works in the area - desire a gourmet bakery product or specialty wine, now there are additional options here that can easily and conveniently accommodate that desire in a pedestrian-friendly fashion. And by the way, in so doing, more pedestrians are out on the street making your walk past the storefronts safer, more interesting, and more varied, which might even prompt other businesses to open and take advantage of the foot traffic to give more people even more options of places they can walk to...

Blank glass walls like you pictured in your post squander the potential of this beneficial and self-reinforcing cycle. Are you really able to argue that a blank glass wall is the best use of sidewalk space given the alternative of retail?

You're thinking about "pedestrian experience" too narrowly in terms of a process of getting from here to there by means of walking. Yes, I get it, I can walk from here to there no matter what so long as I feel safe.

I encourage you to think more broadly in terms of "pedestrian lifestyle" - this is what we are really talking about. It's true that perhaps 95% of the time you walk past the Novartis building you will need neither gourmet bakery product nor specialty wine - and so the ground level is irrelevant to your particular walk. However, should you - or more to the point, should someone who lives or works in the area - desire a gourmet bakery product or specialty wine, now there are additional options here that can easily and conveniently accommodate that desire in a pedestrian-friendly fashion. And by the way, in so doing, more pedestrians are out on the street making your walk past the storefronts safer, more interesting, and more varied, which might even prompt other businesses to open and take advantage of the foot traffic to give more people even more options of places they can walk to...

Blank glass walls like you pictured in your post squander the potential of this beneficial and self-reinforcing cycle. Are you really able to argue that a blank glass wall is the best use of sidewalk space given the alternative of retail?

Shep -- No -- I've never said i prefer blank glass to anything except blank concrete or granite or brick

No what I've said is that you can have plenty of urbanity without every building offering retail on the sidewalk. My definition of modern urbanity is a dense location which is economically strong and which is pleasant for the daily commuter, the local or far-off visitor as well as residents of the place itself.

All of the above are however relative -- what constitutes dense in Lexington Center (e.g. 2 to 3 stories with mix of office, retail and residence) would be low to medium in most of Boston

is there an ideal recipe for ideal urbanity -- I don't think there is.

But you can certainly tell good urbanism when you encounter it.

-- Faneuil Hall /QM is good,
-- so is most of Newbury St., most of Charles St.,
-- some of Boylston St.
-- parts of Haaaaaahvd Sq. particularly near to the T main entrance
-- Mass Ave / Huntington Ave intersection area
-- somewhat paradoxically the area around P.O. Sq and P.O. Sq. Park is good urbansism -- despite the dominance by Monolithic non-retail buildings such as 185 Franklin (aka New England Tel) and the somewhat bunker-like massive John W. McCormack U.S. Post Office and Courthouse -- as designed by Cram and as re-done recently
-- and most paradoxically the Glassed in Pru -- and all of them are different in scale, materials, style of construction, and distribution of uses.

Note that about 20 years ago, during its recent heyday, the DTX area between Summer & School along Washington St. was good urbanism --especially around Christmas and during the late spring early summer

However, I don't think that I would like Boston or Cambridge to try to recreate any of them as they were or are -- anything done today should take into account the evolution of everything from changes in demographics and the impact of technology on retail to the new materials and technologies of building

Here's the "future" of Kendall near the T -- visible in the center-right background (at least one vision)

http://www.kendallsquareinitiative.org/

goal.jpg

Last edited:

I guess where we disagree is with the model of PO Square. I would bet nearly all forumers here would press for much more mixed-use, active streetscapes in that area, despite the fact that there are enclosed streetwalls and the park is fairly pleasant in certain weather. It's got some good fundamentals, but not the active, 24/7 streetlife-enhancing details that make urban life in all the rest of your examples great.

If the Financial District suffices as a model for Kendall, it will wind up tomblike indeed.

I guess where we disagree is with the model of PO Square. I would bet nearly all forumers here would press for much more mixed-use, active streetscapes in that area, despite the fact that there are enclosed streetwalls and the park is fairly pleasant in certain weather. It's got some good fundamentals, but not the active, 24/7 streetlife-enhancing details that make urban life in all the rest of your examples great.

If the Financial District suffices as a model for Kendall, it will wind up tomblike indeed.

CZ -- I had some qualms including P.O Sq. and the Park as a model of good urbansim because it is incomplete in some ways.

However, I would disagree with your assessment that it was dead outside of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM -- in good weather when I've been through the Park on weekends or evenings its been active. When the office crowd goes home the hotel provides some people, some come just because of the Park to stroll and relax.

Certainly, a few more restaurants and some retail plus permanent residents would make it more lively.

Certainly, a few more restaurants and some retail plus permanent residents would make it more lively.

And certainly, this goes for the Koch as well!

Back