Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research | MIT | Cambridge

Re: MIT - Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research

What exactly would a "coherent MIT campus" look like?

Infinite Corridor even more infinite?

Maybe a whole collection of buildings that work together, that create interesting spaces. Most of those buildings all seem like one boring science lab after another, no sense of purpose, no ability to inspire. It's a campus for a bunch of engineers who don't care how it looks. It's a campus with no social skills.

Son of Bauhaus.

MIT has interesting spaces, but they are largely interior rather than exterior. Wander through the first floor of Stata sometime.

Maybe. It kinda makes me want to throw all the major colleges in Boston under a bus. MIT especially since they have the space to build an elegant coherent campus. BCs expansion is too suburban but I can't fault them since they are in a pretty suburban location anyway. Harvard and Allston, well, the less said the better. The only campus expansion plan I've seen in Boston that I like is BU since they are very constrained land wise they've come up with a pretty smart plan, architecture aside.

This makes me want to throw all the major colleges in Boston under a bus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDxLbaRY-k

At second thought, van, you are absolutely right. Fuck that nonsense; we have Fan Pier and those new Northeastern dorms. I would never want a Calatrava in Boston.

Thank you for clearing that up.

He meant that having a campus in the middle of fucking nowhere is nonsense. Also, having a campus that will likely never see the light of day in it's full glory. See what happens once the project architect gets their hands on Calatrava's design.

Plenty of campuses are in the middle of nowhere; more so, in fact, than this one.

MIT and other schools in Boston aren't - they're totally different animals. That reminds me of an updated version of UMass Dartmouth.

We do have a few college campuses locally in 'the middle of nowhere' -- Bentley, Babson, Olin, Curry, Dean, Endicott, Montseratt, ...

Relative to MIT, Harvard, Emerson, Suffolk, BU, BC, etc.?

Fuck that nonsense.

You know the worst part about that video?

They "forgot" to include the acres of parking that will be needed. That little forest they left? Thats probably where the parking will go.

MIT and other schools in Boston aren't - they're totally different animals. That reminds me of an updated version of UMass Dartmouth.

The point that is lost in all of this is that no school in Boston is striving for greatness with it's master plan. Has this whole town lost it's imagination, replaced only by sarcasm and negativity?

^^Sure, if you chose to ignore everything that goes on inside those schools.

You know the worst part about that video?

They "forgot" to include the acres of parking that will be needed. That little forest they left? Thats probably where the parking will go.

Actually, they thought about transportation, too -- everyone who attends this college will take the new High Speed Rail to class so there is no need for parking lots:

bilde

The point that is lost in all of this is that no school in Boston is striving for greatness with it's master plan. Has this whole town lost it's imagination, replaced only by sarcasm and negativity?

By the looks of it, this school has few to no NIMBYs. There's the big difference. Go ahead, try and propose an ambitious Master Plan in Boston. Dare ya. See how much the neighbors try and shoot down right off the bat.

AdamBC, truer words were never spoken. All the evidence needed lies here in the past 10 posts.

I more speak from the experience watching BC's master plan get mangled by NIMBYs - refusing to let BC house 100% of students unless it's done on THEIR terms, reducing the size of sports stadiums (but hoping BC would eliminate sports entirely). It's a f-ing joke.

Olin is the Boston area's only totally new campus. Anyone know how it is turning out? (I've never been there.)

Back