Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research | MIT | Cambridge

Re: MIT - Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research

This has been done countless times now (a decent amount of PoMo/"contextual" projects have done this), and 90% of them look like crap because the developer won't put up the money to break up the materials in a convincing way. Instead, you end up with a facade that has bland red brick here, then a facade bumped out six inches with bland yellow brick there, ect.

The end result is usually pretty ghastly.

Yeah, I know that. But done with care (and money) it's effective. Or they could just hire more creative architects who can find ways to break up the facade with less money.

The end result is usually pretty ghastly.

See Trilogy, 1330 Boylston Street, Avenir, and the unbuilt crap proposed for the Bulfinch Triangle. Architecture as 4th grade collage, architecture that uses the same technique as an extortion letter, architecture bereft of ideas or ambition. Disgraceful.

I would say that Trilogy, 1330, and Avenir are all acceptable fillers for the streetwall (especially Avenir). The Bulfinch proposal is absolute horseshit. No, they're not excellent at breaking up the block, but they are quite contextual and, IMO, not offensive enough to call "ghastly."

Rule of thumb: never confuse what a building does with how it looks.

I like what Trilogy does toward establishing a proper streetwall on Brookline Ave and Boylston Street. I dislike the insipid design.

^ Funny you mention that I had to drive down there this morning for a doctor's appt. and of course I had my camera
004-11.jpg
005-5.jpg

Anyone have a good example of how a superblock can be broken up to allow for the richness of a street?

I really don't think you can suggest that all the architects that have been given the problem have simply failed, or have not cared. It seems that it is a very difficult proposition. A developer buys a city block so to save money on the economy of scale. The developer hires an architect to design his/her building to achieve their proforma. Even if the architect makes the argument that the scale of the building requires breaking the street wall into discrete facades with varying materials, window types, rhythms, and articulation, there is still a lack of time, money and support from the developers point of values, budget, and schedule. Why does he/she care? What can the architect do at that point? Dump the job?

I agree that a municipality has to have the vision to require that superblocks either be mitigated, or that parcels be smaller to allow for the kinds of richness we see in older city fabric. If it means a loss of tax revenue, this is not going to happen either. A city is making way more in tax revenue right away with a superblock project than with parceled out land that takes time to infill.

The picture above is a great example of what I am talking about. I dont think anyone would say that the retail buildings on the right side of the street are anything special architecturally, but together they make a "nice street". Is there a super block that anyone can cite that reaches that kind of richness?

I wonder if superblocks really do generate more tax revenue. Think of the loopholes a single corporation occupying a large office block can find, versus 100 or so small stores and residences jammed together. It's just a guess, but I wonder if cities don't put a high enough premium on the aggregate value of small businesses.

Clearly they do not. I am very very interested in the pressures that have led to the proliferation of the superblock. If only I had a thesis to do over again.

cca

Small picture, but a good example nonetheless.

2vkg70m.jpg

What building is this? I don't think this is doing too much better a job, except that it is simply a smaller scale project with smaller scale elements. Awnings do a hell of a lot even though they are simply toys stuck on buildings.

cca

It's phase-1 of a 3 phase "urban village" /lifestyle center project going on in Richmond Heights, Missouri-just outside of St. Louis. That picture doesn't really do it justice, but it truly feels like you're in a world-class city when you're on the little 500 yard "boulevard." But outside of that you're surrounded on 3 sides by highway ramps, and on one by a mall parking lot.

I love all the lifts surrounding the building.

Re: Glass

I don't think I'm a fan of the glass curtain wall, but I will hold my judgment until it looks more like the rendering.

image2.jpg

07082009a.jpg

07082009b.jpg

07082009c.jpg

That actually looks quite nice but it won't help the whole area much.

I'm not sure what is programed to be on the ground floor, but i'm hoping that it is something that promotes some activity at street level. Kendall will still be a ghost town after 7:00 pm, regardless.

A few photos from today:

Back

Side facing Vassar Street

That glass went up FAST; I didn't even recognize it.

8/16:

img0126hkv.jpg

img0127edk.jpg

img0130iey.jpg

img0131b.jpg

img0133vdx.jpg

img0132jub.jpg

img0134h.jpg

Back