Landmark Ctr. Expansion Plans | Fenway

It appears Auditoriums 12 & 13 will be removed from the movie theater to make way for that very, very much needed public plaza at the corner of Fullerton (Miner/Kilmanrock... HOW MANY STREET NAMES MUST THIS GO BY?!?!?!). But I also notice they mitigate for their demolition by putting new auditoriums atop theaters 7 through 11 on a 3rd story for the theater. Very cool idea.

As a couple forum members on here know, I'm a cinephile who visits the movie theater about 1 to 2 times per week, frequenting the Regal Fenway 13 the most. I was concerned that introducing Wegmans and all this new retail would adversely impact the theater, but fortunately they salvage it. YAY!

I was hoping for a bigger Wegmans, for comparison:
Wegmans, a New York company with 79 stores in six states, already has plans to open a large supermarket in Burlington, and a scaled-back, 70,000-square-foot version in Chestnut Hill. That store - which will be the smallest the company has built in a decade - would probably be the model for a Boston location......

“In some ways, coming to Boston is terrifying,’’ he said. “Going from 130,000 feet to 70,000, you’re making an enormous amount of guesses. This is a big deal for us.’’

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...supermarket/ETuenTbYn7xfKRtZRocDcM/story.html

Knocked out of the ballpark for a grand slam home run! Is there anyone out there that would not cheer on this project?

So the planned Wegmans will be 3 times bigger than the Shaw's at Fenway, and 20,000 sqft bigger than the Shaw's in Copley. That's enormous.

Edit: In fact, according to that chart, Wegmans will be the biggest supermarket in Boston if it makes it to 75,000 sqft. Slightly bigger than the Dorchester Super Stop & Shop.

I'm assuming that will put the Fenway Shaw's out of business... any idea what will be put in that lot?

So planned Wegmans will be 3 times bigger than the Shaw's at Fenway, and 15,000 sqft bigger than the Shaw's in Copley. That's enormous.

I'm assuming that will put the Fenway Shaw's out of business... any idea what will be put in that lot?

I know, and even more incredible that it's half the size of the stores that Wegmans usually builds.

Hopefully another Samuels project would take care of the Shaws parcel.

that PNF is huge. almost 700 pages! is that unusual or am i just new to this?

This plan looks amazing. As someone who walks through this area almost every day, I'll be very excited to see this go up if it's approved.

Edit: also, page 63 --- they're planning to put a green roof on this? Neat.

that PNF is huge. almost 700 pages! is that unusual or am i just new to this?

thats pretty typical and like always about a third of it at least is traffic patterns of every intersection around the project.

Pictures or it never happened

10147358393_61c2094773_o.jpg

10147225935_ffe6e414da_b.jpg

10147359293_52fe6ae891_b.jpg

10147134284_d906ed95f3_b.jpg

10147304206_04108c258c_b.jpg

10147135094_7e253541aa_b.jpg

10147304966_bb7f4e86aa_b.jpg

10147135544_ec94b54740_b.jpg

10147228895_5b13b64ba3_b.jpg

10147135514_24842ce17d_b.jpg

10147305426_feae99eb32_b.jpg

10147229205_4304a62ec9_b.jpg

10147306656_00ec6ddd1b_b.jpg

10147358393_61c2094773_o.jpg

Where's all the cars? That area is usually full of speeding assholes!

Overall, the plan looks great. Digging in a bit, I find these "benefits" to be alarming:

Widen Kilmarnock Street to alleviate congestion on the northbound approach to Brookline Avenue.
Widen Fullerton Street to improve vehicle turning movements at the intersection of Brookline Avenue.
Increase corner radii at the intersection of Brookline Avenue/Kilmarnock Street/Fullerton Street.

It doesn't specify how Kilmarnock will be widened, but presumably by eliminating the public plaza there.

They do specify that the building on the corner of Brookline and Fullerton will be demolished and replaced by a plaza and some kind of weird oval-shaped building. The diagrams don't clarify how the street widening will take place. Any kind of roadway widening seems to be at odds with the intent to activate Fullerton.

Those lanes and turn radii are extremely tight though...I can't really fault Samuels for wanting to give them a little breathing room. Plus the other side of Fullerton is anti-social to the point of hopelessness, in which case I say more power to the Landmark Center side. (here's hoping Harvard Vanguard gets their act together?)

Also, I find it amazing how quickly the cityscape crumbles apart up this road; suddenly you're not in Boston but some godawful Midwest suburb. Nice to know at least one side will be largely fixed during my lifetime.

qz66.jpg

Overall, the plan looks great. Digging in a bit, I find these "benefits" to be alarming:

It doesn't specify how Kilmarnock will be widened, but presumably by eliminating the public plaza there.

They do specify that the building on the corner of Brookline and Fullerton will be demolished and replaced by a plaza and some kind of weird oval-shaped building. The diagrams don't clarify how the street widening will take place. Any kind of roadway widening seems to be at odds with the intent to activate Fullerton.

they are taking out the building on the corner and if you look at this rendering it looks like a really slight widening for the right turn lane starting right at the end of the building. you can tell because it is slightly slanted and now the side walk is straight.
10147306656_00ec6ddd1b_b.jpg

70,000 sf, and that's scaled back?!? Holy hugeness.

It must be the service that everyone loves, because that is way too much! The "Super" Shaw's and S&S's that we saw for the last couple decades were typically in the 50-60k sf, and are already too big. Now we get bigger in the city? On every other supermarket thread on here, everyone is always talking about the urban models.... but, the normal Wegman's is 130K and they are scared by scaling down to this?

Sorry, after working on supermarkets in the past for years, and lamenting the loss of the normal sized S&S I grew up with, I just needed to comment.

Wegmans is gonna take JP, BB, Roslindale, and North Brookline customers who frequent S&S, Shaws, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the Harvest Coop.

Yes, it's just that good.

Back