Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

Lurker

Reaction score
Yawkey Station should be breaking ground sometime this month. I'm not sure, but I think that's part of phase one.

Finally...my stress levels can go down a bit...

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines..._mbtas_yawkey_station/srvc=home&position=also

Construction set to begin on MBTA?s Yawkey Station
By Thomas Grillo
Monday, November 15, 2010 - Updated 17 hours ago
+ Recent Articles

E-mail Print (9) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!Four years after the Romney administration approved $55 million for street and transportation improvements in the Fenway neighborhood, work finally begins today on a new Yawkey Station.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Gov. Deval Patrick are expected to be on hand at the groundbreaking for the $13.5 million MBTA Yawkey Commuter Rail Station reconstruction project. When completed next year, the T will double the number of daily stops, improving service to commuters, residents and Red Sox [team stats] fans who use the stop on game days. The full-service station will offer direct access to South Station to the east and Framingham and Worcester to the west.

Yawkey is the first phase of Fenway Center, a $500 million mixed-use development in Kenmore Square to be built on Parcel 7 over the Massachusetts Turnpike and on surface parking lots between the Beacon Street and Brookline Avenue bridges. The 1.3-million-square-foot project on a 4.5-acre site between Kenmore Square and the Longwood Medical Center would include 370,000 square feet of office space, 330 apartments or condominiums, 90,000 square feet of shops and nearly 1,000 parking spots.

While the T station will be paid for by taxpayer funds, Meredith Management Corp., the Newton developer, has struggled - along with other big-ticket commercial projects - to get financing for the remainder of the development.

A previous lender backed out last summer, and it?s unclear whether Meredith has been able to secure financing from other sources. John Rosenthal, president of Meredith, declined comment.

In 2006, Romney and Beacon Hill lawmakers agreed on a $457 million economic stimulus package that included $55 million for transportation-related projects in the Fenway and the Longwood Medical Area.

In addition to the new Yawkey Station, the money was earmarked for improvements to the former Sears rotary, wider sidewalks along Boylston Street from Ipswich Street, curb extensions that reduce the crossing width for pedestrians and decrease traffic speeds, and a bike and pedestrian path from the Fenway T stop to the new Yawkey station. But Fenway residents say they are still waiting for most of the improvements.

Last edited:
Re: Fenway Area Redevelopment

5180140510_6a601f4bc8_b.jpg

5180132994_444527c477_b.jpg

Great piece by Deborah Becker and WBUR...

Construction Begins For The First Solar-Powered Transit Station In Mass.
By Deborah Becker and Lisa TobinNov 15, 2010, 7:29 AM UPDATED 10:04 AMCOMMENTS (1)E-mail
Listen Now
Newton developer John Rosenthal will break ground Monday on the state's first solar-powered transit station. (Lisa Tobin/WBUR)
BOSTON ? When you head into Boston for a Red Sox game, chances are you drive or take the T ? it?s not likely you?ll take commuter rail. The commuter rail stop near Fenway is Yawkey Station, and it isn?t really much of a station.

?This station is an MBTA commuter rail station operating for Longwood medical area and Fenway Park has no public access and is buried in a sea of parking lots,? says Newton developer John Rosenthal.

Monday is a big day for him, because state officials will be in this sea of parking lots to break ground on a new expanded commuter rail station that will be the state?s first solar powered transit station.

That will then allow Rosenthal to begin his $450 million project for this site, known as Fenway Center. It?s a multi-part development project that involves office space, retail, residential units and a parking garage with solar panels. It will be built behind Fenway Park and over the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Construction of the new Yawkey commuter rail station begins Monday. Rosenthal says the first phase of the commercial part of the development will begin in 2011 and take about three years, depending on the financing, which he is still working on.

Rosenthal has been trying to get this off the ground for a decade. WBUR?s Deborah Becker recently talked with him about it at Yawkey Station.

WBUR Topics ? Boston ? Economy & Business

http://www.wbur.org/2010/11/15/fenway-development

What it didn't mention is that he said the station will produce more power than it will consume. As far as he knows it's the first of it's kind in the country, not just the state.

I heard something very scary, though. He said a garage would be built of the pike in a few years. Shiiiiiiit. But supposedly that garage will also double as the state's largest solar power plant.

I heard something very scary, though. He said a garage would be built of the pike in a few years. Shiiiiiiit. But supposedly that garage will also double as the state's largest solar power plant.

The garage was referred to as an 'interceptor' garage. If I knew you were going to be there I might have said hello. However introducing you to the lovely wife, well that might have been a non-starter.

That seems like a hell of a lot of press coverage ... were they expecting Scott Brown to show up?

The garage was referred to as an 'interceptor' garage. If I knew you were going to be there I might have said hello. However introducing you to the lovely wife, well that might have been a non-starter.

Ah, you were there? :) Which one is you?

5179544959_9f0fa0f678_b.jpg

:p

5180096006_358bc7ac6e_b.jpg

5180099610_eb2f6288ac_b.jpg

5179493073_8772d52883_b.jpg

5180092922_670b6db25b_b.jpg

I don't believe Scott Brown was expected. Then again, I didn't know anyone was expected. When I saw this morning that construction was going to begin today, I thought it just meant a couple guys would be surveying the place! I got there to find just one woman setting up the tent, little did I know what she was preparing for. :p

It was a full house of political figures, their minions, Rosenthal, union bosses, et al. I got dragged along and slipped away as soon as possible for "coffee".

With a crowd like that I hope your wallet was on a chain.

With a crowd like that I hope your wallet was on a chain.

Menino had 2 guys hold me against a wall in a nearby alley and repeatedly rammed his fist into my stomach asking me for money. He said I was in the new Yawkey BID and had to pay up.

I do see how Yawkey Station will lead to fewer cars coming in from Metrowest to Sox games (or LMA for that matter) - but does anyone think that it will reduce outbound congestion on the Green Line through the central subway on game days? I think advertising the "express route" from South Station and allowing a free transfer from the Red Line onto a Yawkey-bound CR would be a start.

Menino had 2 guys hold me against a wall in a nearby alley and repeatedly rammed his fist into my stomach asking me for money. He said I was in the new Yawkey BID and had to pay up.

LOL!!!

I do see how Yawkey Station will lead to fewer cars coming in from Metrowest to Sox games (or LMA for that matter) - but does anyone think that it will reduce outbound congestion on the Green Line through the central subway on game days? I think advertising the "express route" from South Station and allowing a free transfer from the Red Line onto a Yawkey-bound CR would be a start.

absolutely

I agree except for the free transfer part. The Yawkey-BB-SS would be free (impossible to collect fares in 3 minutes) so might as well make them pay for the red line.

Ive used Yawkey to go inbound many times and never have been asked to pay.

If i'm not mistaken I'd heard that SS -> BB -> Yawkey was already free. I used to ride the framingham line all the time and don't recall ever having to show my pass before yawkey. If it isn't technically free it certainly is functionally.

Back