Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

I'm hoping they're sturdier than they look in the photos. the colored part of the numbers look like fairly flimsy plastic. They'll definitely be a target for drunk fans/students.

That being said, I really like the way they look. 15 years ago, any Fenway vs. Wrigley argument contained something along the lines of, "yeah, but Wrigleyville just has so much more going on than Fenway." With all of the improvements in/around Fenway over the years, I would argue that the Fenway area is at least on par with Wrigleyville. The homer in me says it's even better.
Well, this definitely proves the area around the Ballpark can hold its own.

The improvements inside of the park are sub par at best. But these street level numbers are a real boost for that whole neighborhood. And quite frankly, they're the best improvements that John Henry have made to Fenway Park (that's not actually in the Ballpark). Whenever the Fenway Center gets off the ground (2065), this area (assuming that it's not underwater thanks to climate change) will unequivocally be jumpin'.

Love the Numbers. I'm thinking that they were inspired by architect Janet Marie Smith who designed Oriole Park at Camden Yards. A picture from that ballpark is below. Larry Lucchino, President/CEO of the Red Sox, held the same position with the Baltimore Orioles when Oriole Park was built, according to Wikipedia. He may have had some input regarding the Numbers.

13655579273_eb0dd91653_c.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry no pictures, but Yawkey Way Extension appeared to be open to all traffic this morning. One-way from Brookline Ave. and Yawkey proper, hangs a left at the station with a wide space for kiss-and-ride, and ends at a stop sign at the new corner of Maitland and Overland. Sharrows throughout for bikes. Completely devoid of all traffic, car/bike/ped, when I walked by, but of course that'll change when Rosenthal gets his financing in order, right? Keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for the guy -- the canvas is ready.

Same contractor as Assembly's puddle-prone platforms?

Can't they specify a slight crown (or apply one with epoxy?) on these floors?

13752364394_2db66f7003_b.jpg

The puddles will likely (hopefully...) not be a problem once the development occurs overhead and around the station. *If* that happens... Assembly Sq has no excuse though. Pitch the platform in towards the center with a grate running up the center-line of the platform for catchment.

Back