Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

With the new schedule, youd be dumb to take the green line when going downtown (financial district or seaport) rather than the commuter rail.

The only time it makes sense to take the commuter rail over the green line from Fenway into downtown is if the commuter rail is < 10 minutes away. Otherwise you'd make it to south station quicker on the green line due to the high frequency of trains coming into Kenmore.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/fenway-kenmore/2014/02/mbta_to_open_rebuilt_yawkey_station_boost_framingham-worcest.html

MBTA to open rebuilt Yawkey Station in March, boosting service on Framingham-Worcester rail line

The MBTA plans to open the rebuilt Yawkey commuter rail station in Boston next month, clearing the way for the transit agency to boost service across the entire Framingham-Worcester line, officials announced Tuesday.

The station is set to open and a new schedule for the commuter rail line is set be implemented on March 10, T general manager Beverly Scott announced.

“I would like to thank everyone for their patience,” she said in a statement. “We’re very excited about launching this new era in the continuing process of improving the Worcester-Framingham commuter rail line.”

Walked to Yawkey today on the new pedestrian path and what did I find? Torn up cement with a new fire hydrant smack dab in the middle of one side of the path… smh

0EB21CFD-5B45-422B-9B20-E81B303647CA_zpszaktwdgu.jpg

Walked to Yawkey today on the new pedestrian path and what did I find? Torn up cement with a new fire hydrant smack dab in the middle of one side of the path… smh

That's actually not all that uncommon. I've seen some hydrants in some pretty fucked up places on sidewalks.

I'm more concerned with the rusting green steel beams holding up Fenway Park. Especially after they spent all that money trying to fixing that place up.

It looks like they're cutting the concrete for treeboxes. Hydrants follow the path of the water line feeding them, and also might be set back to keep them out of harm's way of vehicle bumpers. That's a pretty wide curb, for some reason.

Just a wild guess, but I'd bet that little sidewalk project has a completion target date of April, 4, 2014.

I don't have any pictures, but when I walked by here today I saw that they'd put up large illuminated number sculptures that correspond to the Red Sox retired numbers. On the side, they had descriptions of the players.

That's probably what they were ripping up the sidewalk for.

I noticed that too. Looks good and will be a great addition for Sox fans taking the CR to Yawkey for the game. That's what I get for being a pessimist!

http://nesn.com/2014/04/red-sox-unveil-2014-fenway-park-improvements-including-new-menu-offerings/

The Boston Red Sox announced a few improvements they are making to Fenway Park this season. The new features include a refurbished Third Base Deck, the installation of Red Sox retired numbers along the Yawkey Way extension near the new commuter rail station, an improved game-day experience by the NESN stage on Yawkey Way, and new menu offerings for fans to enjoy this season.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/04/red-sox-unveil-2014-fenway-park-improvements-including-new-menu-offerings/

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140402&content_id=70733798&vkey=pr_bos&c_id=bos

On Yawkey Way, fans will experience an enlivened 'NESN Zone,' home of NESN's pregame show, which, in addition to the NESN stage, will include a NESN-themed specialty grill stand that features a variety of new food offerings inspired by NESN's on-air personalities, and a refurbished 'Budweiser Bash' bar loaded with flat screen televisions.

Food offerings from NESN on-air personalities? I'm just going to leave that one be...

From the article...

"The eight oversized, three dimensional numbers, which will be illuminated at night"

B for effort, but it's hard to imagine these won't be quickly vandalized or the lights won't be maintained.

B for effort, but it's hard to imagine these won't be quickly vandalized or the lights won't be maintained.

I'm hoping they're sturdier than they look in the photos. the colored part of the numbers look like fairly flimsy plastic. They'll definitely be a target for drunk fans/students.

That being said, I really like the way they look. 15 years ago, any Fenway vs. Wrigley argument contained something along the lines of, "yeah, but Wrigleyville just has so much more going on than Fenway." With all of the improvements in/around Fenway over the years, I would argue that the Fenway area is at least on par with Wrigleyville. The homer in me says it's even better.

Back