Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

The final departure from Boston on all days is still too early.

With all the talk about extending night hours for the subway you would think the CR would be looking to add later trains not take them away.

jass said:
Holy shit they cancelled the 12:50am return from Worcester on Saturdays. That will have a MAJOR impact on people attending events at the DCU and especially the Palladium. I wonder if the owner of those even centers were consulted?

Now the latest return is 11pm, which is before most shows end.

Major downgrade, and a big deal for both the event centers and their attendees - I took that train when I was in college many times, and obviously was never alone (99% of the riders came from the concert).

^ Do enough people take the Commuter Rail to DCU center events for this to have that big an impact on their ticket sales?

With all the talk about extending night hours for the subway you would think the CR would be looking to add later trains not take them away.

Some lines operate freight runs at night, so they can't extend CR operations.

Some lines operate freight runs at night, so they can't extend CR operations.

Are the lines really at capacity with freight runs, or is this just an MBCR excuse?

Seems likely there is room for 1 or 2 later CR trains, even among the freight runs, with some scheduling work.

Yes; it's now set for the 27th. Sounds like they're having issues with one elevator at Yawkey.

^ Do enough people take the Commuter Rail to DCU center events for this to have that big an impact on their ticket sales?

Id say it depends on the event.

Disney on ice? Probably not.

A concert aimed at the college crowd? Absolutely.

Note that the last weekday trip is still 12:50! Two hours earlier on weekends makes zero sense.

There was no Worcester service when I was in college, we all took Peter Pan to concerts. That might make more sense than a regular scheduled service that is only sporadically necessary.

I took the train to see Van Halen maybe 7 years ago.

Wait ... that's not accurate.

... anyway. It was 7 years ago and an easy trip.

The new station looks fantastic. Station signs were partially up as of this weekend. There are stairs leading to Beacon Street from both platforms; they haven't cut holes in the fences, but it will be very convenient once they're open.

The station opened up this past Monday, and it's terrific. I use it to spare myself a Green line commute during rush hour. Now that almost the entire platform is being used, most vestibules can be used for access, and it takes less dwell time at the station.

The indefinite cancellation of the schedule change is annoying though. Once that goes through, the headways will be much better for regular use.

How was this station related to the Fenway Center project, of recent slowly-dying fame?

How was this station related to the Fenway Center project, of recent slowly-dying fame?

It's not. Or at least not joined at the hip with any one specific project. It's designed to complement new development in the area and to be compatible with air rights in the area. Would help a lot if Fenway Center wasn't imploding before our eyes because that would boost the utilization a lot, but that's not a requirement for this thing to generate ridership.

It'll help a lot for people commuting from MetroWest who work at BU, work at the hospitals, work at Landmark Ctr., etc. Simply walking down the street to Kenmore and picking up a B or D or bus is going to be faster for them than fighting through the downtown congestion on a Red+Green or Orange+Green transfer or driving the Pike or 128 to the increasingly crowded Riverside lot. So it's significant help for the fast-growing employment destinations in the area.

And biggest immediate boost is helping Worcester Line headways in general. That single side platform was difficult to give a decent-size train schedule because the combo of that and 3 Newton stops resulted in too many bottlenecks inside 128. That is no longer a problem, and when they fill in the double-track gap through Beacon Park later this spring/summer it'll buy some added capacity. The full Worcester schedule needs that, so it's not just about the DMU's coming in several years (which will require eventually fixing Newton).

It's not. Or at least not joined at the hip with any one specific project......

Unless plans have changed in the last half year, that is incorrect:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...f_yawkey_commuter_rail_station_to_be_fin.html

"......More changes to the station will eventually be made when the massive Fenway Center mixed-use development is built around the station.

Those future improvements include building new head houses on Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street and extending Yawkey Way so MASCO shuttle buses, which serve the Longwood Medical Area, can pull up to the station, Pesaturo said.

When a parking garage for the Fenway Center development is built, solar panels installed atop the garage will power Yawkey Station, which will make it the first “net-zero energy” rail station in Massachusetts, officials have said....."

It's not. Or at least not joined at the hip with any one specific project. It's designed to complement new development in the area and to be compatible with air rights in the area. Would help a lot if Fenway Center wasn't imploding before our eyes because that would boost the utilization a lot, but that's not a requirement for this thing to generate ridership.

I accept F-Line's answer to how "was this station related to the Fenway Center project" as, essentially, "it was de-coupled". That it proceeded independently but is certainly compatible with future development.

And here's the picture from the article, but I think F-Line's answer stands: they're basically no more related than that all the changes abut each other and have been laid out in advance.

yawkeyredesign3a.jpg

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...f_yawkey_commuter_rail_station_to_be_fin.html

"......More changes to the station will eventually be made when the massive Fenway Center mixed-use development is built around the station.

Those future improvements include building new head houses on Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street and extending Yawkey Way so MASCO shuttle buses, which serve the Longwood Medical Area, can pull up to the station, Pesaturo said.

When a parking garage for the Fenway Center development is built, solar panels installed atop the garage will power Yawkey Station, which will make it the first “net-zero energy” rail station in Massachusetts, officials have said....."

I think this is the answer to "how is the fact that the station has been built, related to the future Fenway Center".

So both answers work. While the station and Fenway Center were conceived in the same era, they de-coupled the station and built it. It worked based on Kenmore/Green Line/Longwood. It doesn't depend for ridership or funds on Fenway Center. It is as much joined to the upgrades to the Worcester Line and regional commuting needs as it is to Fenway Center.

Fenway Center sits astride it and will embellish it. There is a plan "on file" and as the area gets built out, you'll see new ties to the street network and buildings.

They are not "joined at the hip" because Yawkey does not have the strict "development and new station in one package" kind of ties that, for example, New Balance/Brighton Landing or Assembly Row/Assembly Square have because there the station has no reason for being apart from the development and the development's worthless without the station.

F-Line's point was that Yawkey "works" without Fenway Center.

Last edited:
Im glad theres no need for wind and snow shelters is such a warm climate area

Back