Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

Also, why does the station extend towards us but is not complete?
Maybe because of the curve, the track has to be installed first. I'll guess that the platform sections are all pre-cast and will just be dropped into place.

There are solar panels on the check-mark roof on top of the whole structure. That's just bare aluminum on the platform roofs reflecting the sky.

Precisely that on the track reinstallation. The platforms will stretch from bridge abutment to bridge abutment; they need the temporary gap in the platform to get the ties in and the equipment out. The prefab platform segments will be installed in about a 2-day timespan, as the eastern halves were.

Did Rosenthal break ground on the actual Fenway Center yet? Or is that still tied up in litigation?

I think he is now trying to line an actual developer who can build the project. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

10215054286_807db5da51_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong picture link? It looks on my browser like the Boston Conservatory photo.

Edit: Looks fine now. Thanks kz1000ps for the photos.

Last edited:
Re-posted from one of EGE's Wikimedia pics. This thing looks spectacular at night from the Pike.

Yawkey_station_at_night_22_October_2013.JPG

Re-posted from one of EGE's Wikimedia pics. This thing looks spectacular at night from the Pike.

F-Line reminds me in a small scale way of what my brother dubbed "Early Galactic Empire Style" --- when he first saw Alewife at night from Rt-2 and then around the corner onto Fresh Pond Parkway

Last edited:
I'm curious: are there any other two-platform stations on the system configured like this, i.e. inbound boarding with the right doors and outbound boarding with the left doors? Not meaning to rehash the discussion about the need for two platforms and the engineering constraints on the site -- just wondering if this kind of setup exists anywhere else.

I'm curious: are there any other two-platform stations on the system configured like this, i.e. inbound boarding with the right doors and outbound boarding with the left doors? Not meaning to rehash the discussion about the need for two platforms and the engineering constraints on the site -- just wondering if this kind of setup exists anywhere else.

No. It's because of the curve, and full-high platforms being a royal PITA to install on curves. They had no choice but to do that very unusual setup in order to do level boarding there without any platform gaps.

Allston/New Balance, the 3 Newton stops, a Newton Corner infill, and raisings of all others out to West Natick won't have the same issues. They're either on straightaways to begin with, or shiftable a negligible few feet in the same location to eliminate any slight curves on the platform. And most likely the inside-128 infills or retrofits can all be standard wide island platforms.

We have a new schedule effective January 13!!

New Framingham/Worcester Line Schedule

Highlights:
  • Round trips on weekdays increases from 21.5 to 24. Biggest winners, in order of largest increase in service:
    • Yawkey increases from 9.5 daily round trips to 24.
    • Grafton increases from 15.5 daily round trips to 20.
    • Ashland, Southborough and Westborough increase from 15 daily round trips to 19.5.
    • Worcester increases from 16.5 daily round trips to 20.
    • Wellesley Farms increases from 15.5 daily round trips to 19.
    • Newtonville, West Newton and Auburndale increase from 9.5 daily round trips to 13.
  • # of round trips increases from 8 to 9 on Sundays.
  • Saturday and Sunday will now have identical schedules.
  • All trains stop at all stops on weekends, which causes a large increase in round trips for stations that previously had limited weekend service:
    • Yawkey will increase from 4 to 9 round trips on weekends.
    • Ashland, Southborough, Westborough, Grafton and Worcester will each increase from 5 to 9 round trips on weekends.

And the line is now called simply "Worcester Line" since only a small number of Framingham short-turns remain.

Can you clarify how many round trips are being added? You say 24 but I think it's more your 21.5 old total is off? I don't know b/c I don't know that schedule so maybe I'm confused?

Can you clarify how many round trips are being added? You say 24 but I think it's more your 21.5 old total is off? I don't know b/c I don't know that schedule so maybe I'm confused?

2.5 round trips are being added on weekdays. There were previously 21.5 round trips. There will be 24 after the schedule changes in a week.

1 round trip is being added on Sundays. There were previously 8, there will be 9 round trips now.

Holy shit they cancelled the 12:50am return from Worcester on Saturdays. That will have a MAJOR impact on people attending events at the DCU and especially the Palladium. I wonder if the owner of those even centers were consulted?

Now the latest return is 11pm, which is before most shows end.

Major downgrade, and a big deal for both the event centers and their attendees - I took that train when I was in college many times, and obviously was never alone (99% of the riders came from the concert).

The final departure from Boston on all days is still too early.

Back