Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

Holy lord, this is actually making progress?! I thought it was a dead project.

035_zpsebaaff28.jpg

That's only a temporary stairway according to so deductive reasoning by RR.net members.

Was there ever an explanation given as to why they doubled the cost of the project by building an island and a side platform instead of just an island?

Was there ever an explanation given as to why they doubled the cost of the project by building an island and a side platform instead of just an island?

Physical constraints. I can't find here or on RR.net where it was spelled out in detail, other than the explanation given made total sense.

New Balance and rebuilds of the Newton stops could probably go single island with no problems, but Yawkey was a special case.

Simple as not wanting to put a huge sox crowd on a single island?

The station is on a real tight curve. Trying to get doors on a convex platform is a tricky proposition - you can get a nasty gap between the platform and the door. Same reason they didn't go with two standard side platforms either.

With two platforms, couldn't they pre-position a westbound Red Sox 'special' on one of the tracks to depart at game's end?

With two platforms, couldn't they pre-position a westbound Red Sox 'special' on one of the tracks to depart at game's end?

Maybe. That's going to be a little tricky with Worcester trains coming through either direction every few mins. It might be something they could stage from Beacon Park...either the engine yard or if they keep the Track 3 & 4 yard leads from the Pike to Everett St. intact and stuff them like they do the Blandford St. pocket track on the Green Line. Then scoot over to Yawkey on-demand. That would work. But they don't have a lot of schedule margin for error for platform idling with only 2 possible station tracks and ever-increasing Worcester traffic.

I'll never fully understand you train nerds. Its an interesting thing to be obsessed with.

^ Ditto. And my dad has been a railroader all his life! I know what a F40 and a FL-9 is but beyond that I'm lost.

Oh...and it's only the "normals" with an urban planning itch to scratch who venture over here. I don't know if there are any true insiders here (I'm sure not)...just the observant ones who read up on the transit they're forced to ride and try to figure out how to make the T (or insert local agency here) a better T. The buffs on RR.net who drive to freight yards or park at a grade crossing all day with a radio scanner and take pictures of each train that goes by...or call locomotives "she" like they are sentient beings...or spend every weekend volunteering at museums are some whole other level of obsessed I will never understand. Or understand the advanced lingo they toss around. The employees can be weird too. Spending all day on a train following precise procedure day after day attracts a certain personality type that doesn't always mesh well with...uh...patience for free-flowing online discussion. (Not that we're naming names...*cough*.)

Oh...and it's only the "normals" with an urban planning itch to scratch who venture over here. I don't know if there are any true insiders here (I'm sure not)...just the observant ones who read up on the transit they're forced to ride and try to figure out how to make the T (or insert local agency here) a better T. The buffs on RR.net who drive to freight yards or park at a grade crossing all day with a radio scanner and take pictures of each train that goes by...or call locomotives "she" like they are sentient beings...or spend every weekend volunteering at museums are some whole other level of obsessed I will never understand. Or understand the advanced lingo they toss around. The employees can be weird too. Spending all day on a train following precise procedure day after day attracts a certain personality type that doesn't always mesh well with...uh...patience for free-flowing online discussion. (Not that we're naming names...*cough*.)

BTW, great railroad movie (and movie in general) - - The Station Agent.

Rent it. You'll be glad you did.

I'll never fully understand you train nerds. Its an interesting thing to be obsessed with.

My interest stemmed from being generally interested in history/urban planning and noticing weird things in the tunnels when I was riding the green line. The more I researched the more I learned and the more I wanted to research; creating a nerdy self sustaining obsession. It has a limit though: I couldn't care less about freight, and even commuter/regional rail is only a passing interest. I'm wayyy more interested in rapid transit. I know how you feel though, when I read the logan thread my eyes glaze over, I just don't get it. And my best friend is an aircraft mechanic!

Also, F-line hit the nail on the head. Railfanning gets taken to a wholeeeee 'nother level by the users that dont (I think) crosspost here. There's a reason they're called foamers.

Edit: I'm not trying to be derogatory, its just a very interesting use of time. In the same vein, I think the people who can name every player in sports and recall stats from memory are equally insane.

Back