Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

Im glad theres no need for wind and snow shelters is such a warm climate area
I don't think you need shelter on the inbound, unless you anticipate large numbers of people riding to Back Bay or South Station to connect with mass transit / commuter rail.

From the buildout diagram supra, the parking garage would offer shelter on the outbound, and probably the inbound as well.

This new Yawkey and eventual Boston Landing stations are going to sorely tempt me to use them to get downtown. If only my CharlieCard LinkPass worked on the commuter rail...

This new Yawkey and eventual Boston Landing stations are going to sorely tempt me to use them to get downtown. If only my CharlieCard LinkPass worked on the commuter rail...

The MBTA's surrender to the alleged technical difficulties of implementing Charlie on the CR is incomprehensible.

Buy the zone 1A pass...best way to get all the benefits-subway, bus, zone 1A commuter rail (Yawkey) plus the inner harbor ferry

I don't want to use a paper ticket. Dipping that multiple times a day is a pain (especially when it gets worn out and the machine starts rejecting it), losing benefit of auto-reloading, theft protection on the smart card is too much for a few trips on commuter rail a month.

I've been using this method for 2 years now...I agree with the theft portion but the one I get is not paper...it's a flimsy plastic material that is water proof/won't rip.

The monthly link pass when registered should be able to link up to the MBCR ticket app. Then you can just click a zone 1A trip and show your flashing light. Something shoudl work so you don't have to make the choice of what to do like this. It sounds like a minor inconvenience and it is. But its an unnecessary pain in the ass.

I wonder if the 1A pass could come as a sticker.

Go to a standard CVM, buy a 1A on a charliecard. Then go to the sticker machine next to it, tap the card, it prints you up a sticker so you can get on the CR. Not perfect, but it would work. You'd really only need the sticker machines at terminals with CVMs, so South Station, North Station Back Bay, Worcester and Providence.

CharlieCard tapping is so much faster than Ticket inserting that I really don't want to be "that guy" who is waiting for the damn ticket machine. If the T ever thought about pedestrian circulation at all they would have realized that the CharlieCard system is entirely dependent upon getting as many Cards into the hands of people as possible, and phasing out the use of Tickets as much as possible.

Random Q: Can near field communication on your smartphone interact with the CharlieCard?

CharlieCard tapping is so much faster than Ticket inserting that I really don't want to be "that guy" who is waiting for the damn ticket machine.?

Unfortunately, some of us have to be "that guy" because our towns - in my case Winthrop - are off the MBTA system and only offer the paper option if you want to link your monthly subway pass with the local bus service.

Has there ever been a plan for the T to lease out the Charlie Card readers to the private bus service providers like Paul Revere?

CharlieCard tapping is so much faster than Ticket inserting that I really don't want to be "that guy" who is waiting for the damn ticket machine. If the T ever thought about pedestrian circulation at all they would have realized that the CharlieCard system is entirely dependent upon getting as many Cards into the hands of people as possible, and phasing out the use of Tickets as much as possible.

Random Q: Can near field communication on your smartphone interact with the CharlieCard?

A smartphone is just a glorified 2-way radio, so anything's possible.

And I agree, I HATE being that guy. I purposely don't get discounted passes through my school because they come on the tickets, and it's not worth the hassle to transfer them onto a card every month at DTX, or be the asshole waiting for it to go through the machine 20 times.

I think I like what the NY is pondering, getting people to use RFID credit cards right at the faregate. I've heard some hypothesizing that it could be the "killer app" that starts bringing this country into the 21st century and away from mag swipes, especially if the rest of the NEC gets on board... but we shall see. In the mean time, I think it's time the MBTA let some kids at MIT try writing new code to flash the machines with. If they T cant update it in house, but own the hardware, ditch the software that runs it.

Has there ever been a plan for the T to lease out the Charlie Card readers to the private bus service providers like Paul Revere?

Doesn't some systems already do this? I want to say the BAT bus, but I'm not positive.

Unfortunately, some of us have to be "that guy" because our towns - in my case Winthrop - are off the MBTA system and only offer the paper option if you want to link your monthly subway pass with the local bus service.

Exactly. A fully integrated, regional (heck, national) fare payment method combined with coordinated scheduling would do wonders. That's what the Swiss do, and other parts of Europe as well, or they are moving towards it. You can even have the transit be run privately, like in Tokyo, and it won't be a bother.

I've heard that the RTAs use Charlie now, is that what you mean dave? As F-Line says, if we can get everyone in the region to use Charlie, or some common standard, that would be a great advance.

WRTA is one of the RTAs which use the Charlie Cards, but they only seem to sell day passes on tickets, So if you want a day pass, you're 'that guy'.

I have been making the Yawkey to South Station round trip a lot more recently. It's actually pretty convenient with the iPhone app and will be more so with the accommodating schedule. It would be very nice to have the Charlie Card readers though. Going from SS to Yawkey at rush hour, I have only been asked to show my ticket 1 time. I'm all about supporting the train, so I activate my ticket, but they could be losing a lot of money this way...

My phone (nexus 4) can grab the id number from my Charlie Card but some sort of fundamental hardware incompatibility due to a licensing spat prevents reading or writing any actual data. Other phones with other transit agency's cards can read more info, and a few are piloting ways to tap your NFC phone as a NFC transit card.

As mentioned by choo above, the MBCR ticket app would be a great workaround to enable those with Charlie Cards to ride trains in 1a. If a link existed between the two systems the commuter rail app would acess your MyCharlie account, know that you have a 1A or Link pass, and then generate a QR code for the conductor whenever you hit the activate button.

I'm guessing that MyCharlie and the commuter rail app were written by two contractors under two different agreements so who knows if they can talk to each other.

I don't think you need shelter on the inbound, unless you anticipate large numbers of people riding to Back Bay or South Station to connect with mass transit / commuter rail.

From the buildout diagram supra, the parking garage would offer shelter on the outbound, and probably the inbound as well.

With the new schedule, youd be dumb to take the green line when going downtown (financial district or seaport) rather than the commuter rail.

With the new schedule, youd be dumb to take the green line when going downtown (financial district or seaport) rather than the commuter rail.

Pardon my ignorance, but will using the CR from Yawkey to SS be the same price as the GL?

Back