Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

When was the height changed from 22 stories to 25 stories?

^^
It wasn't changed. It's been 22 all along. The reporter got it wrong and/or didn't check the facts.

Boston Redevelopment Authority approves Liberty Mutual's $300m expansion project - project to break ground before the end of the year.

from the BRA:

Liberty+Mutual+Final.jpg

http://bostonredevelopmentauthority...0/08/liberty-mutual-receives-approval-to.html

It takes a special touch to make a flatiron building boring.

It doesn't strike me as that bad. Did they ever agree to incorporate the community's wishes for street level activation?

^^ It's not bad. It's not good. It's just ...

That's a reeeeaaally nice rendering though

Love that they keep the chain-link fence around the lot across the street.

That's a reeeeaaally nice rendering though

I actually like the rendering myself. Just pissed off we have to give them a tax breaks. Like Liberty Mutual needs them.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news139735.html

BRA Approves Hub Projects
Today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boston Redevelopment Authority's board of directors has approved several projects, including the expansion of Liberty Mutual and the Waterside Place project in South Boston.

The board approved plans for a new $300 million Back Bay office building as part of Liberty Mutual's expansion of its Boston headquarters.

The project will create a new 590,000- square-foot, 22-story office building at 157 Berkeley St. The project also includes renovating approximately 89,000 square feet of existing space at 330 Stuart St., which will retain the existing office and restaurant uses at that location.

The expansion is expected to create 600 new full-time jobs by Liberty Mutual and the creation of more than 500 construction jobs. Construction is expected to begin in October and be ready for occupancy by the end of 2012. Officials also expect $80 million in net new tax revenue over the next 20 years.

The board also approved the Waterside Place project, which will bring a new 21-story, 376,300-square-foot development with residential, office and retail uses to the city's so-called "Innovation District" within the South Boston Waterfront.

The project, as modified, will include approximately 234 rental apartment units and approximately 72,000 square feet of retail space, including a grocery store and pharmacy.

In its original filing in 2007, the project team included Vornado Realty Trust as an equity partner. Susan Allen, executive vice president of the John Drew Co., told Banker & Tradesman Vornado is no longer an equity partner or member of the current Waterside Place development team, and that the firm is actively seeking new equity partners.

Vornado Chairman Stephen Roth and Mayor Thomas M. Menino have been in a protracted and public dispute about the long-delayed project One Franklin project on the site of the former Filene's flagship store in Downtown Crossing.

"With the approval in hand, we are in the market for partners right now for both equity and construction lending," Allen said. "We have just gone into the financing markets with [Holiday Fenoglio Fowler.]"

The board also concluded its Greenway District Planning Study, and adopted new use guidelines. The aim is to encourage residential, hotel and mixed-use development, active ground-floor and streetscape designs and ground-floor retail.

A $125 million hotel project in the South End was also approved. It will transform a vacant parking lot with the creation of 408 new hotel rooms. Located at 275 Albany St., the 332,285- square-foot project comprises the creation of two hotel buildings that will be joined by a common above grade parking garage, roof terrace and swimming pool.

Another board approval was given to Dudley Greenville Project, a rental housing project in Roxbury.

The project includes the construction of a new mixed use facility in two buildings with the 43 rental units as well as approximately 3,000 square feet of retail and commercial space.

Love that they keep the chain-link fence around the lot across the street.

But that has nothing to do with Liberty Mutual. Blame Ned Flanders for that one. Although, it would make a good staging area for Liberty Mutual, so all is not lost with Columbus Center.

^^I don't know if you are joking but before Ned blows up about how you called him a cartoon character, let's all remember his last name is Flaherty, not Flanders.

I really like the rendering, but I have a feeling the final product won't reflect the rendering. The renderings of the W hotel were very misleading as well.

Did they ever address the concerns about the dead street level?

I really like the rendering, but I have a feeling the final product won't reflect the rendering. The renderings of the W hotel were very misleading as well.

Is it the impressionist night-time sky that throws you off?

I still really believe that this development might cause shadows.

Is it the impressionist night-time sky that throws you off?

This was a problem with the BRA's planning rendering for the Greenway as well:

images

Back