Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

There are a number of reasons why Boston's universities aren't likely to be eclipsed by online institutions anytime soon, but maybe the biggest one is that science and technology research and development - which drives the "biotech boom" - can't really be done in one's living room. Lab equipment is expensive and tends to bring clusters of people together in ways that I can't imagine the internet deconstructing as it has the centralized research library, for example. As a corollary, it's hard to put teaching hospitals online, too, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure I would want to be operated on by someone who learned how to do it primarily through video teleconference.

Oh, and Rifleman? You do know that the city of Boston, too, has a giant Genzyme facility? And that BU recently built a biolab in the South End that Cambridge NIMBYs would have suicide-bombed in their oppositional zeal?

Also for colleges and universities like WIT and NU, the co-op program provides an attractive opportunity to get hands on experience. Managers would rather hire people that have experience in a working environment than someone at home all the time.

The Liberty Mutual Tower sounds nice. Tear down that wanna be historic building on Berkeley and put up a 700-800 footer in its place. They already missed the oppertunity to build something decent where that stump at 10 St. James is. Even Liberty Mutual owned Safeco has a 630 foot tower in Seattle.

There's article about the Liberty Mutual building in the Courant today. There are new concerns about the building casting a shadow on the Garden/Common.

I tried to find the article online but I can't find the Courant's web site.

I'm surprised it took that long.

The article, or the shadow concerns addressed in the article? [/facepalm]

^^It seems you can't have one without the other.

There's article about the Liberty Mutual building in the Courant today. There are new concerns about the building casting a shadow on the Garden/Common.

I tried to find the article online but I can't find the Courant's web site.

Casting a shadow on the Common? There's no way this building is tall enough to stretch that far. Maybe occasionally it will shadow a corner on the Garden but the area is already in shadows, by the trees....

You could add another twenty floors to this proposal, and there's still no way shadows would be created on The Common or Public Garden....even in mid December!

This is simply a disingenuine and ludicrous notion.

Casting a shadow on the Common? There's no way this building is tall enough to stretch that far. Maybe occasionally it will shadow a corner on the Garden but the area is already in shadows, by the trees....

I was just reporting what I read. Marty Walz is looking into the concerns which were brought up by "the stakeholders". I find it difficult to believe that the proposed building could cast a shadow that far.

It's times like this that I'm happy to be living in Toronto.

Are you freaking kidding me? Is it nearly impossible for a shadow that long to be case based on the estimated height. Furthermore, does anyone live in this guy's district? If I did, I'd be writing this jackass a letter telling him to get back to work and do something constructive rather than constantly following the shadow bogeyman around.

I wonder if he ever gets into national politics, he'll recommend that New York tear down any building that might cast a shadow on the fringes of Central Park. Or that the Washington Monument should be taken down because of the shadows it casts on the Mall.

Quite sad that we can't even propose a 20-storey building in Boston anymore without invoking the ire of the Shadow Brigade.

Marty is a woman, btw.

^ And also a loon.

Marty is a woman, btw.

Quite right. I just too a cursory glance at her website, saw a photo of a guy on the front page. That + the name = egg on my face.

She's still a jackass.

My issue alread went out with the recycling, sorry. From my recollection: the shadow is less than 1/3 of an acre for 3-4 hours approx 2 weeks a year and would be swallowed up within shadows of buildings closer to the Commons anyway, if I read it properly. I don't really trust the local newspapers' spin, but that's the way I understood it.

Hey guys I've been gone for over a week, so that's why this didn't get up in a more timely fashion.

img4267e.jpg

img4268n.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, it's not about "shadows" it's about control. These arguments are about shadows in the same way homeowner's association members having nervous breakdowns and putting liens on people's homes for the "wrong" color of drapes or mailboxes is about "property values".

698617.jpg

Wow, eventhough I should know by now this bullshit is coming I can't help but get enraged everytime I see it. How can this shit not get called out as bullshit. God do these NIMBY's need to find a real cause.

Back